Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Why disallow changing the size of wheels?  (Read 189 times)

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Why disallow changing the size of wheels?
« on: September 26, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

I'm not asking sarcastically. I'm seriously curious:

Why are players prevented from changing the size of the wheels (tires) in the game? Is it for the sake of game performance? Is it to prevent us from noticing the flaws in wheel models or the edges of low-polygon wheels when enlarged to ridiculous scales? Something else, maybe? Perhaps this was planned, but just never got implemented?

I just don't understand what reason there could be. And I think this is unfortunate as being able to change the size of wheels would allow players to be more creative when designing vehicles.

To be fair, the devs did give us four different types of wheels, in different sizes. In increasing size, there's the Motorbike Tire, the (antique-looking) Wood Wheel, the Rubber Tire, and the Large Rubber Tire Type 01. While these are different sizes, this is still a limited variety. And while some tires are thin, some are quite wide. Aside from being able to change the overall scale, it would be nice to be able to change just the circumference or just the width. We may, for example, like the style of a wide tire, but need it to be thin in order to fit our design...

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why disallow changing the size of wheels?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »

Now that I think about it, I have a related question:

Why disallow players from adding wheels (or other vehicle parts) to regular, non-vehicle objects?

On the surface, this may sound like a silly question. However, I have seen other players ask this very question. And I think that it is a fair question.

I can think of some legitimate uses for wheels (and other automotive parts) in non-vehicle objects (particularly if we are allowed to change the size of wheels). Indeed, I can give some examples of creative uses of vehicle parts. For example, check out this: Pocket Garage - Field Repair.

Technically, this is a vehicle. It has fuel cells, wheels, a seat, etc. However, obviously, it is not meant to be driven. The wheels and fuel cells are merely meant to be decorative.