Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Defensible Colony Locations[marked]  (Read 3994 times)

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Defensible Colony Locations[marked]
« on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »

I'm at a point in Story Mode where I must build a colony. And I find it to be a difficult decision because I'm picky. I want a location with a fantastic view, but I also want it to be very defensible.

Mostly, I want a defensible position so it won't be high maintenance from attacks by ground creatures. Also, so I can use monster beacons by my base. But, there are roleplaying reasons for designing a defensible colony.

They've crash-landed on an alien planet with large numbers of very dangerous predators. (Maria has a 3 to 1 prey to predator ratio, according Agnes, compared to Earth's 10 to 1.) There are only a handful of human survivors on the continent. And they could be kidnapped or killed by two factions of hostile aliens. Oh, and there are tensions between Mars and Earth nationals.

Also, after Camp Defense I'd be paranoid of Maria's critters. They must've been driven mad by human tech. That, or driven by some alien transmission to exterminate the human invaders. They were after our blood, even the herbivores like the cute little stags!

There were some locations in Forest, Rainforest, and Canyon that I found tempting - by being near an existing camp or because I find the glowing vegetation in Canyon and Rainforest to be breathtaking. But they're not defensible, especially from a roleplaying perspective.

A colony in a forest or rainforest biome is not easily defended because of trees and thick vegetation. Without much line-of-sight, enemies or creatures can approach without anyone noticing. This would be true even with very hilly terrain like canyon and desert, unless you chose the highest point to build. But one can usually see for miles and miles on grassland.

Furthermore, placed blocks can be rather easily destroyed by creatures, while dirt and rock can not. As such, it makes more sense to very carefully excavate into dirt and rock to make a home, leaving impenetrable walls for protection. Building entirely with blocks means having to rebuild or fix walls and such after a major attack.

I spent quite a bit of time searching for good locations, both through reading the forum and flying around. Here is a list that I compiled for my own use. But I thought I'd share and/or discuss. (Note: Click the link on each thumbnail to get a larger view.)

Here's a map. They're in no particular order except the route I took to take the screenshots.

(C) 9819, 7115: Located south of Adesa Camp is a place I like to call "Cape Adesa" and I consider it obligatory in any discussion of potential colony locations. From what I read, it sounds like this is a popular choice. And for good reasons. As a peninsula, is it surrounded by water on all but one side. It's even located at the mouth of two rivers. So it's quite defensible and a boat is useful. (Still, I'd feel better after digging a moat around the north side.) Also, I find the ocean/beach biome music and the gentle lapping of waves to be quite soothing. The scenery is nice, too. I really dig this location.

Note the Firebear Nest, lifeboat, and land bridge in the upper-left corner. The ideal colony location, IMO, would be near the lower-right corner, between my VTOL flier and the corner.

(I) 12549, 6899: Medium Rock Shelf, located northeast of Carter Camp, at the end of a cliff overlooking the beach. An interesting rock outcropping or shelf that juts out towards the beach, with a small mushroom rock right next to it. I found it tempting, at first. I was going to dig into the shelf and put windows facing the ocean and then put a watchtower or communications tower on top of the mushroom rock. Though, I wouldn't be satisfied unless I dug out the entire west slope to make the entire thing an artificial mushroom rock, and that would require an enormous amount of digging. The big draw for me was easy access to the ocean, leaving me plenty of room to build boat docks. But the terrain is hilly and rounded. And I'm afraid the defensible surface area would be somewhat small, like the Large Doline.

Note: The ideal spot for the Assembly Core, I think, would be about the center of this image. But as you can see, it'd be a lot of digging to isolate it with a ditch.

(H) 12531, 6299: Large Rock Shelf, located southeast of Carter Camp. Another tempting location. Similar to the outcropping above in that it is a shelf of rock facing the ocean, except this one is huge. Again, I could dig into the side and put in windows. Though, again, it would require an enormous amount of digging on one side to turn it into an artificial mushroom rock. Still, this rock shelf is the top of the cliff. so there's a nice view of Carter Camp and the grasslands. Access to the ocean is not as good as with the smaller rock shelf as this is higher and a bit further from the shore. But I could still dig a trench or tunnel to the ocean. (Edit: The top is a bit hilly, which required a lot of digging and placed dirt/stone for me to get flat.)

Left is a view of Carter Camp from the coordinates, and right is a view of the rock outcropping from atop a spire of rock off the beach:

Left is a view from the air, and right is same after I spent many, many hours digging the rough terrain flat and filling low spots to prepare for a colony:

(J) 11481, 7788: A location I named "Sly Bay" on my map, for David Sly. It's at the end of a small bay that connects to the mouth of the river by the Giant Tree. I thought it ideal because I want easy access to the ocean or main river artery so I can build a boat dock. Lots of mostly flat terrain, too. Also, the scenery is fantastic and I can dig into the side of the cliff for a good defensive position. And then I can dig a moat around my colony for extra protection. (A lot of digging, to be sure.)

Note: The white circle is about where I'd build a colony, digging a deep trench just past the edge of the static shield (after upgrading it to Level 3).

(A) 8091, 6142: Medium-Sized Peninsula/Island, which Pat pointed out (in post below). I've seen this island before. Granted, being surrounded by water makes it very defensible. And it is more area than the Large Doline. But I discounted it as being too small for my tastes. It may "just fit" in the bubble, but that must be the basic static field. If upgraded to Level 3, it would swallow this whole area:

Note: You can see the "land bridge" in the lower-right corner and one can estimate the scale by noting the size of the palm trees and vegetation.

I'd love a Large Island. I've looked and looked, but I can't find one in Story Mode. There are a few islands. But they're either too small (for me), nothing but rock with a crappy view, or they aren't accessible. I've seen screenshots of someone building a nice colony on a beautiful, large island. But where was that? Adventure Mode?

(B) 8216, 7295: Large Doline. This is another popular choice for a colony location. And I certainly understand the appeal. Defensively speaking, it's hard to beat, what with sheer cliffs on all sides. The view is fantastic, too. My problem with the location is that the rock in the middle is way too small for my taste and needs. It's almost impossible to build a colony there and still have room to plant a small garden. Also, since it's so small, one may have to build some rooms underground. And NPC pathfinding is such that they don't like to path underground. (Not much in the way of elevators in PE, either.)

(G) 11964, 6622: This is the location of a natural opening to the caverns west-northwest of Carter Camp. On my map I call the location "Carter Caverns." Actually, any caverns or dug-out location would do about as well. (Though, Carter Caverns is loaded with zinc, coal, and petroleum that is easy to mine.) The point is: Some players choose to build their colony underground. Granted, this makes it trivial to defend your colony. (That is, until later updates when they introduce more underground critters.) And if they place their Assembly Core just so, they can have the static field surround some of the surface to allow them to plant a farm. Though, they'd have to give NPCs easy access to the surface or I doubt they'd tend to it. And, again, because of pathfinding and other quirks, NPCs often don't work right underground. Personally, I'll wait until a0.9 or later to see if the pathfinding issues are solved before moving underground.

Note: Left is the natural opening and right is the view from inside. (See the surface coal?)

(F) 11872, 6715: A very large, highly elevated mushroom rock, located smack dab between Carter Camp and the Meteorite Crater. The scenery is excellent and this could be the largest mushroom rock I've found. The top has a lot of flat terrain. No slopes at all, either. If it wasn't for the lack of access to the ocean or a river, I'd be very tempted to use the location.

(E) 10878, 7022: Located southeast of "Rock Formation." An odd mushroom rock since it is a double formation, with a smaller twin as a shelf on the southeast side of the much larger one. Not much flat terrain as it's mostly rounded. Still, it is big, high off the ground, and there are no slopes connecting it to the ground. (Personally, I'd dig a bit to isolate the smaller one as monsters can spawn on it.)

Note: You can barely make out "Rock Formation" near the upper-left corner.

(M) 11224, 8722: Large and rather highly elevated mushroom rock, located just west of the Natives' Relic. There is one very small slope on the west side that monsters could climb. But it wouldn't take much digging at all to get rid of it. I see quite a bit of flat terrain.

Note: White line indicates where the slope is (and where I'd dig a ditch).

(L) 11400, 8388: Large to medium elevated mushroom rock, located south-southwest of the Natives' Relic. There is a small slope on the northwest side. But it would not take a lot of digging to get rid of it. Do note that a Red Korona frequently spawns near here. And there's not much flat terrain as it's mostly rounded on top. I had considered digging an underground canal to connect the base of this mushroom rock to the river for boat access and a dock. But it wouldn't have the same aesthetic and the distance is just too far.

Note: White circle indicates the edge of the river. Natives' Relic can be seen near top.

(K) 10842, 7987: Rather large elevated mushroom rock, located almost due south of the Bird Head landmark. There is a small to medium slope on the northwest side that gives monsters easy access. So it would have to be dug out.

Note: Red circle indicates the Bird Head landmark. White line is slope that I would dig out.

(N) 11019, 9592: Large mushroom rock, located north of a Pujan Camp (the one north of the Natives' Relic). I believe this was the location used by Trent for his colony (as shown in the Show Off Your Base thread). However, there is a very large slope on the south side. And just south of you is a Pujan Camp so close that it would make me very nervous. (I'd imagine it'd make the natives nervous, too.) But I do like the fact that it is close to a river.

Note: You can see the Pujan Camp near the upper-right corner. As I said, it's close. And about a third of the circumference is a slope which should be dug out (mostly right of my VTOL flyer).

(O) 11679, 9887: Large mushroom rock, located close to the Pujan Great Wall, south of a Pujan Camp and across the river from the Natives' Relic. This one is not so close to the Pujans to make me too nervous. But then, there are Pujans to the north and west. I've tested this location with an Assembly Core to see how the static shield fits. It is quite large and even with the shield upgraded to Level 3 it barely surrounds it. (Place it a bit south of the large cactus tree for the center.) Unfortunately, this one is not very high and there's a large slope which should be dug out; i.e., lots of digging. Though, one can see quite a bit of flat terrain.

Note: As you can see, it's nestled right up against the wall. I have to wonder if Pujans could attack or throw stuff from atop their wall. And the left side of the image is mostly slope. That's a lot of ditch digging!

(D) 10465, 7348: Located northwest of "Rock Formation." This would be a large mushroom rock, if it wasn't for how big the slope is (on the northeast side). It would take quite a bit of digging to isolate it. And it's not as highly elevated as most mushroom rocks. But one can see quite a bit of perfectly flat terrain:

And one must admit that it's hard to beat the fantastic view from here:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 03:07:56 PM by Thundercraft »

Tchey

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: Defensible Colony Locations
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:42:27 PM »

Nice sharing.

Now you can edit your post and add a screenshot for each location, and also a map ! (thanks)

So you managed to play the full Story without troubles ? Broken scripts, missing targets... ?

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:15:35 PM »

...Now you can edit your post and add a screenshot for each location, and also a map!

As I said, this is a list I made for my own use, but decided to share.

I refuse to take map screenies, especially since I provide exact coordinates for the center of each location. I even describe the location in relation to named landmarks. If you haven't explored many named locations yet in Story Mode, you can use this online map to get an idea where they are. (But by the time you get the scripts and quest from Ataro to build a colony, you should already have these named locations.)

Anyone who knows how to use the map should not have a problem finding them. Just find the coordinates and right-click to create a map marker. Give them a descriptive name like "Large Mushroom Rock" or "Cape Adesa" and choose an icon from the drop down menu. Then just fly or drive there. (I recommend fast-traveling to a named location first to save time.)

I'll probably take screenshots of the more interesting ones. But most of these are just extra large mushroom rocks. And I describe each one, taking note of anything I found noteworthy. Also, those who've already played Story Mode before should already be familiar with the Large Doline and even know what I call "Sly Bay" (ravine next to "Big Tree" or giant mushroom tree) looks like.

So you managed to play the full Story without troubles ? Broken scripts, missing targets... ?

I've been playing a0.871, which is the latest stable build. Before, I was opted-in to the beta branch. But then I unchecked the opt-in box so it would roll-back to stable.

So far, I find a0.871 to be playable. I've just about finished off Chapter 5 and I'm now ready to start Chapter 6, which is the last chapter (available so far).

That said, the game does crash now and then. Sometimes it crashes once every three hours or so and sometimes it crashes in about 20 minutes. So I recommend saving frequently and alternating save slots with multiple saves, just in case.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:20:22 PM by Thundercraft »

Tchey

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 06:19:03 PM »

I've played and finished the Story already, in a previous Alpha. I've explored everywhere i think, and i remember some of your desciptions.

Later i tried to play again the Story but it was broken, missing scripts or elements ingame, so now i'm waiting for 0.9 to go deeper into the game.

I said about screenshots so i can just lurk the forum and watch the pictures, while you do all the job. But i understand if you don't like to me the slave of my joy.

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 12:21:18 AM »

Later i tried to play again the Story but it was broken, missing scripts or elements ingame, so now i'm waiting for 0.9 to go deeper into the game.

Stable is usually playable. Though, there are certain quests that tend to break rather easily. The usual culprit, I think, is when a mission-critical NPC gets stuck in the terrain. The quest can't complete unless all mission-critical NPCs (anyone other than a follower) arrive with you at the target zone or destination. A lot of people complain about Rol getting stuck since she tags along for a long time. And Tarik Bakir (you meet in the woods, then he runs away from the alien) usually gets stuck behind a tree and then it can't complete until you chop down that tree.

Another possible issue is when the mission involves killing off certain creatures. After meeting Lao and Adesa at the Rock Formation, the Rescue Plan / Into The Fire missions require that you keep the Firebears "busy." But the firebears can start attacking before you reach the red spot and if you kill them before the mission starts, the mission breaks. And sometimes there aren't any Red Koronas at the Natives' Relic. But saving and reloading can make Red Koronas spawn there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:23:21 AM by Thundercraft »

computerkid

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Defensible Colony Locations[marked]
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »

????, ????: Island. I've looked and looked, but I can't find a large island in Story Mode to build a colony. There are a few islands. But they're either way too small, nothing but rock with a crappy view, or they aren't accessible (off the playable map edge). I've seen screenshots of someone building a nice colony on a beautiful, large island. But where was that? Was it in Adventure Mode?

There is a decent sized island south of the main continent, at about 11700, 4000 that has a cave in it that I was able to build a colony in on version 0.884. As far as I know, the boundaries that are indicated in the map are not actually there in the 0.88x versions.

pat

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »

8091,6142 just fits into the static field. Only a narrow land bridge and surrounded by water.

Erei

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:28:54 AM »

I'm going to copy and paste and old answer I made for a similar topic a while ago. I think I share the same spot than you, but with added screenshot.

A nice peninsula (basic shield will cover the small "island" and slightly more). Monster beacon makes them spawn all around the island, sadly, and sometimes a spider might spawn on it (mostly the north side). I was expecting to see them rushing from the coast, but even if they do that a lot, expect them to come also from others sides. I already cut the big trees on the screenshot, but there are some of them otherwise. 8108,6232.
http://i.imgur.com/mwrKQ35.jpg
You can also see someone's colony on this spot, in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLKr5CTSJ8c).

A nice place that make me think to the Halong bay in Asia (I gave the "little Halong" nickname to the place). If you are creative enough to build "rope bridges", it might be even better. Also, the place is really close to coal, which is nice to power the generator (behind the mushroom rock cliff, on my left on the screenshot, but you can't see it). If you put the shield midway between the "islands" you can have them both shielded, including the tiny spot where I stand, and a good part of the beach (up to the mushroom). 12668,6175
http://i.imgur.com/ArmWJxU.jpg

A few islands near the coast. You see them from where you begin the game. The place of my first colony, but land was scarce, and I changed my mind for somewhere else (not enough room for crops). There are some others islands further away (on my left on the picture). The 3 islands can be shielded with the first shield. 11954,6175
http://i.imgur.com/9OU6seB.jpg

A nice spot in the middle of the red ravine. You can see it on the map. Haven't tried to put the shield, so I don't exactly know the range of the colony. 4366,7683
http://i.imgur.com/nLE1Uvb.jpg

The doline. It's part of a quest but for those who might be interested before doing the quest, I mention it. The shield will cover the "island" thing in  the middle, and down to almost the ground. Using a monster beacon, the monsters spawn on the ground and are unable to reach the colony. The edges are not enclosed on a lvl1 shield. However, the caves inside the edge are full of spiders like thing. 8216, 7295
http://i.imgur.com/IpHvY3i.jpg

Just find another one while trying my new airship. A small group of islands south of the firebear nest. Haven't really check but it seems possible to do some heavy underwater digging. 10261, 6089
http://i.imgur.com/2lKbxxk.jpg

On a side note, I to want more islands.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:31:02 AM by Erei »

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »

Posting to let people know I updated my OP with screenshots and, yes, a map.

8091,6142 just fits into the static field. Only a narrow land bridge and surrounded by water.

Thanks for pointing out this island/peninsula. I do remember this location, but I thought it was too small for me. Now that I think about it... I also remember some screenshots where someone built a nice colony there, with huge boat docks.

...A nice place that make me think to the Halong bay in Asia...
...If you put the shield midway between the "islands" you can have them both shielded, including the tiny spot where I stand, and a good part of the beach (up to the mushroom). 12668,6175

This is very, very close to the Large Rock Shelf I pointed out. That's the "mushroom" you describe and easily visible from your image.

Interesting idea, building a colony there. I hadn't thought of building on those rock "islands" off the beach. I guess one could build a sort of "treehouse" on top of a tall rock island, much bigger and wider on top than the rock itself. However, I'm reminded of NPC pathfinding issues. And I seem to recall reading that sometimes NPCs will fall through the floor if the floor is nothing but dirt/stone/metal blocks with no natural terrain underneath.

BTW: If anyone wondered why my indicated location on my map is (H) or the Large Rock Shelf, and why I have so many images of it, it's because that's where I'm building my colony. I'll probably start a new thread with more images once I get construction underway or finished.

Already, I regret my decision: The surface was much rougher than I realized. I've spent many hours filling the low spots and digging with a shovel to flatten it. And I haven't even begun digging the trench for defense. Or digging into the side of the cliff for rooms with a view of the ocean. Or the trench for boat access and docks. Also, I decided that optimal placement of my Assembly core required me to dig about 6 or 12 blocks deep and place it underground. Placing it on the surface meant the static field would not cover under the shelf very well.

In short: I would not choose this location again - or any other location requiring lots of digging - until after they implement bulldozer parts or at least better digging tools. Just too much time and effort! Otherwise, next time I build a colony it will be either Cape Adesa or a nice, flat mushroom rock.

pat

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 04:24:32 PM »

Once 0.9 is out you should be able to create your colony everywhere you like. Although I guess that Pathea will push some changes to the feature I'm thinking of right now.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 12:28:29 AM »

I built a base at the ( M ) location in one of my games , nothing really will come up the back side slope that one Gatling turret couldn't take care of.....

most of your attacks are gonna be from flying creatures ( Calium Rex is a big problem) and the aliens , which will just spawn in anyway regardless of location.....

when you build on top of a mushroom rock , depending on where you place your core and the level of your shield , attacks sometimes won't end until you patrol around the bottom, and kill off any animals or aliens that spawned in just off the edge and stuck at the base of the rock and can't find its way up to your core......

I had to put perimeter of turrets all around the bottom to keep me from having to do this every time I was attacked, but then you have to go around and maintain and swap out turrets every  so often alot of work either way

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »

Just a little FYI: At the time I started this topic, the rather large island south of the continent was completely inaccessible. Well, AFAIK, that island is accessible now.

Also, I had to edit my OP because that stupid-head Photobucket image host suddenly decided to turn itself into a pay site and disable all free-account images. (For now, I'm using postimg dot org for my images.)

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

I guess I approach colonies a little differently.  If you want to RP adapting to the planet, then your choice of sites is really good.  By the time you get to the point in the story where you are building a colony, most of the story will point you north, so building a colony in the south means a lot more travel for completing the quests.  North is rougher terrain though.  Even for RP purposes, your goal is to head to the north continent... so building in the south is anti-progress, unless you just want a fast, easy build.

You can clear cut most foliage, so forest/rainforest isn't a problem.  Many places in the forest area offer flat expanses similar to the Martian camp.  Also, it's kind of nice to leave some of the trees inside the camp. Clear as needed. 

As far as colonists... they do sometimes fall through the floor when the area is loading, but if they are assigned to tasks, the will rebound back to their station.  Colonists do not take damage from falling.

My third story play-through I put the colony on top of the Puja wall.  That was really fun and gave an endless supply of food and bullets (puja scouts spawned in the middle of the camp whenever the colony loaded).  However I had to move the colony when diplomacy started, because it was messing up my relations with the Puja.  In story mode you don't want automatic aggression.

Also, any colony built on top of water will be safe from wandering land animals.  If you want to be true to RP, your structures can have "supports" but anti-gravity is fine for most people.  The main thing you have to be wary of for any colony is to not have places at an elevation around you where you can be bombarded by puja without return fire from your defenses.  My first colony suffered from this... I build on the "cave lake" underneath the land bridge.  Spectacular panorama, until the puja showed up on top of the bridge and surrounding mountain and plastered me with mortars from out of range of my missiles.  Getting to them over that rough terrain was also a pain in the rear.  I didn't have a jet pack at the time.