Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: How to search for ores very thoroughly  (Read 144 times)

Thundercraft

• Citizen
    • View Profile
How to search for ores very thoroughly
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »

I thought that I would discuss a method I've learned that allows one to search for ores very thoroughly and efficiently. That is, searching in a pattern that is easy to follow and which is unlikely to miss any ores.

Note 1: I highly recommend that you play in a resolution of 1600 x 900 or higher, preferably higher. This is because the Handheld PC or Scanner app is a fixed size in terms of pixels, so it will take up less interface real estate on higher resolutions.

Note 2: I recommend that you scan on foot. (For one, you don't have to go around trees or other obstacles.) Scanning from a boat or vehicle is doable, as long as you don't go very fast. Otherwise, you could miss ores. Scanning from an airship or helicopter is not recommended. Those tend to be hard to control and move very fast. Also, you'd be far above the ground and likely too far away to detect ores underground.

(1) Make sure that [Select All] is selected, so that it will detect all ores.

(2) Move the Scanner app window so that it is mostly out of the way. Myself, I prefer to move it to the bottom-left corner so that I can just barely click the [Scan] button. (That is, so the [Scan] button is partly obscured.) Having the edge of the Scanner app window partly obscured by the edge of the monitor is okay as long as it's not too much.

(3) Pick a location to start mapping out the area. I recommend that you pick a landmark of some sort, to make it easy to find and fast-travel to. If nothing else, you could start mapping from your colony or you could right click on the map to leave a marker.

(4) With the Scanner app open (and in a corner so that it does not obstruct your view), choose a compass direction and start walking. Specifically, start walking along a "grid line", either North, South, East or West. By "grid line" I am referring to the lines that make up the grid pattern in the Scan. Each grid line indicates 100 units of distance. So, for example, you will find a vertical or "Y" or North-South grid line at coordinates xxxx, 7000, as well as another one at xxxx, 7100, etc. By walking along a grid line you can space out your search pattern accurately.

(5) Walk along your chosen grid line in your chosen direction, clicking the [Scan] button very frequently. Myself, I re-click [Scan] after the sound effect stops, indicating that the current scan is finished.

(6) When you notice some ore, stop. Make note of the grid line you are following so that you don't forget where you left off. Then move to stand over the ore. If the ore is an obvious color like yellow, purple, or blue, then you know instantly what you have. However, if it is a shade of gray, you may need to click [Deselect All] and click on the ore that you believe it to be, then re-Scan to make sure. (Don't forget to click [Select All] after you have done this!) Either way, you need to click Scan again because your initial scan may have caught only the edge of a large deposit. After you re-scan, stand over the middle of the deposit and write down the coordinates. Then go back to the grid line you were following and continue.

(7) Walk as far as you feel up to exploring in a given direction. If you are in Adventure Mode on a large map, you may want to stop after a while and double back, scanning along a new, parallel grid line. (Myself, I scanned from my colony due West, all the way to the ocean before doubling back.) Whatever the case, you should make note how far you mapped in a given direction.

(8) When you've decided to go back the direction you came from, stop and move 200 units perpendicular to the map line you just explored, then walk along the new, parallel grid line in the direction you came from. The point is to scan along a grid search pattern. For example, if you chose to walk West, following the West-East grid line, you may want to walk 200 units South and follow the new West-East grid line East.

(9) Keep clicking [Scan] frequently, until you've reached the parallel where you started. (You did make note of where you started, right? I told you to pick a landmark of some sort.)

(10) Repeat until you've decided that you've mapped enough. You may want to write down where you stopped, though, if you plan to continue later.

Note 3: Why move 200 units perpendicular to the grid line? Because the range of the Scanner is a radius of about 80 or 85, which makes for a diameter of about 160 or 170. Technically, it is possible to miss an ore deposit with a search pattern of 200 units apart. However, as most ore deposits are rather large or are spread out over a diagonal, this is rather unlikely.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 09:54:38 PM by Thundercraft »