Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Thoughts on integrating farming  (Read 423 times)

Cytek

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Thoughts on integrating farming
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »

So I posted something on the web site news article about farming but gave ti some more thought.   Here is what I came up with.   The fan base seems to mixed about whether they want farming or not I am of the opinion it should be there, but I agree it needs to not detract from the feel and flow of the game which right now seems to be centered around exploration and crafting.
So my though is introduce a new workshop element called "The Garden" it can start as a raised bed garden that can take traditional seeds bought from farm or market and requires water as a fuel source.  This falls in line with the other machines you can create if you feel like pursuing farming items like fruits and vegetables.  to keep this in line with game play allow the device to be upgraded from raised bed to large plot and eventually to indoor green house or something like it. each upgrade introduces the ability to raise more complex or larger plants which the seeds can be obtained through exploration of ruins. This makes teh yield unique based on seed discovery and can allow the player to have some unique items to sell. As with other elements of the workshop it doesn't have to be created so a player can choose to focus or have farming or not.

I noticed that the workshop itself can change appearance (at least form the trailer videos) it might be cool to allow that change to reflect the focus of the player for instance if a player focuses on farming the appearance of the workshop becomes more garden like and the same holds true for adventuring, or device machine creation focus etc. this would add an element of replay ability as a player could re-play the game with a different focus and get a different result for how their higher level workshop evolves and looks.

Just some thoughts on my part for how farming could be integrated back in without detracting from the game.

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on integrating farming
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 06:04:24 AM »

All of these are interesting ideas, we'll take them into consideration in later development.

SnailobsterLv99

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:07:46 AM »

Certainly there are workshop blueprints for modernizing farming to save time.  There are also green house and automated irrigation ideas on other sites.  I call that the technological route of farming.

I am thinking more of the opposite, the natural way of farming.  There is this Church of Light with Nora and Mr. Lee who look so wise, so maybe we can befriend them to have them show us some documents on lost wisdom of efficiency?  Such as creating new breeds of crop that grow faster?  The wisdom of land rotation because the land will be depleted of nutrients if planted repeatedly?  Or lost documents on a miracle seed that not only yield faster and better, but also replenish woods/plants around it?  Of course you can only befriend the Church of Light if you farm the honest way, as they see technology as signs of laziness (or something like that).

Natural farming may not have larger farms to cash in because they consume too much time to operate, but I am sure there are unique quests and rewards that require it.  For example, a sensitive flower that requires special attention that can be used in curing a special disease, or a beautiful flower that the ghost lady loves.  These flowers require constant manual caring as they can almost detect the heart of a person (or something like that).  I don't think automated methods are compatible for these plants.

If farming takes too much time, so be it, because farming in real life is time consuming.  Maybe we can choose a career of a farmer instead of an explorer or a craftsman?  It makes sense to spend the majority of day to farming if player chooses to be a farmer.  As farming becomes more efficient, the player can explore and craft more.  If player wants to be a non-technology type of farmer, the player can choose to have a smaller farm compared to a massive farm.  I think player should be given the choice.

Just my 2 cents, I like to play with technology vs nature theme of this game.

Alexel

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »

I'm not really for adding farming to be honest. There are plenty of farming/ farming simulations games out there already. I did not choose those for a reason. I simply just don't care for farming. That is why I chose this game, for exploration and craft/building. I enjoy building up the workshop and making things. If they do finally add it I truly hope we can choose how automated it is. If i am forced to have to farm to complete commissions. I would like to have to spend as little time as possible on it.

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »

I don't think there will be any main story missions that forces you to use the farm, it would be one of those "it'd be better for the player if he/she farms" type of deals, but not required.

DanielCampbell

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »

I LOVE this idea. One of the restrictions that are always put on you in Rune Factory/Harvest moon is where you can plant and how much. It would be nice to have some control over that. Only problem is that if you end up filling the entire world with plants, that could lead to some performance issues, which will cause the game to fail certification on consoles. So that would leave the developers with some options;

1. Limit the amount of these "gardens" you can place which would partially defeat the purpose of unchaining the player's desire to farm.
2. Limit the places you can put the gardens so that you can only put them in high performance areas, also undercutting the point.
3. Creating VERY low performance impact vegetation models/Level of Detail models.
4. Or making the "garden" more of a "greenhouse" that is its own interior environment.

I'm sure there are other options as well. They know their tech better than I do. I'm sure they have lots of ideas on how to handle stuff like this but that's just my opinion at a glance. :-)