Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Help needed troubleshooting a linux dedicated server.  (Read 378 times)

lazlo

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Help needed troubleshooting a linux dedicated server.
« on: July 17, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »

I have a quad core Xeon server with 32GB of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 750 ti running Ubuntu Server 16.04.2.  When I try to launch a headless server it seems to hang. 

Here is my ServerConfig.conf:

Code: [Select]
{
        "LobbyIP" : "119.28.73.40",
        "LobbyPort" : 12534,
        "ProxyIP"   : "119.28.73.40",
        "ProxyPort" : 12535,
        "TeamNum"   : 1,
        "NumPerTeam" : 16,
        "GameMode"   : 1,
        "GameType"   : 1,
        "MonsterYes" : true,
        "ServerName" : "testing123",
        "MapName"    : "testing123",
        "MapSeed"    : "some-pseudo-randomness-yhku6545128waxjiw82861762538cmvrai",
        "TerrainType" : 1,
        "ClimateType" : 1,
        "VegetationType" : 1,
        "MasterRoleName" : "Unknown",
        "Password"       : "",
        "PublicServer"   : false,
        "Proxy"          : false,
        "UseSkillTree"   : false,
        "DropDeadPercent" : 10,
        "UnlimitedRes"    : true,
        "TerrainHeight"   : 512,
        "MapSize"         : 0,
        "RiverDensity"    : 10,
        "RiverWidth"      : 10,
        "PlainHeight"     : 20,
        "Flatness"        : 25,
        "BridgeMaxHeight" : 25,
        "AICount"         : 7,
        "ScriptsAvailable" : true
}

As you can see I am trying to start a LAN server before I poke holes in my firewall and expose the server to the internet.  I want to make sure it's going to work right locally before I try to get other people playing on it.

When I try to launch the server I see this:

/pesrv/HeadlessServer$ ./PE_Server.x86_64
Set current directory to /pesrv/HeadlessServer
Found path: /pesrv/HeadlessServer/PE_Server.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/pesrv/HeadlessServer/PE_Server_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/pesrv/HeadlessServer/PE_Server_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/pesrv/HeadlessServer/PE_Server_Data/Mono/etc'

And this is where it seems to hang.  I get no other output on the command line. I am unable to stop the server unless I use CTRL+C (although since that works I have not tried any type of kill command on it).  If I type anything else into the command line it is ignored.

Here is the date stamped log file:
<U+FEFF>[Log]:7/16/2017 6:52:00 PM
Current server version:265

[Log]:7/16/2017 6:52:00 PM
Server initialized on port:9900

[Log]:7/16/2017 6:52:00 PM
ServerInfo--ServerName:testing123, MasterRole:Unknown, MapSeed:some-pseudo-randomness-yhku6545128waxjiw82861762538cmvrai, GameMode:Adventure, GameType:VS, Monster:True, Major Bioma:GrassLand, Climate:CT_Temperate, TeamNum:2, NumPerTeam:16, UnlimitedRes:True,TerrainHeight:512, MapSize:0, RiverDensity:10, RiverWidth:10,PlainHeight:20,Flatness:25,BridgeMaxHeight:25,AllyCount:8, Version:V1.0.9

And the warning log:
[Warning]:7/16/2017 6:52:00 PM
Socket ReceiveBuffer is actually set to 425984 and not the desired 134217728

[Warning]:7/16/2017 6:52:00 PM
Socket SendBuffer is actually set to 425984 and not the desired 134217728

If I run the top command it shows the executable running and using between 3-5% CPU and 0.3% RAM.  However I cannot see the server in the LAN lobby when I launch PE on my desktop. 

So now it's time for questions:

Is the server running and I just need to change a network setting somewhere?  Is it hung while trying to initialize the server?  Is there a way to get more information into the log files and/or the command line?  Is there a question I should be asking but I am not?

Any help would be appreciated.  If you need more info about my set up just ask.

Lazlo

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed troubleshooting a linux dedicated server.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 05:53:36 AM »

Check your internet first and see if you opened VPN, or if theUbuntu is based on virtual machine?                                                                                                                                                                                                     

lazlo

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »

Check your internet first and see if you opened VPN                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Could you be more specific, please?  Is there a port or range of ports that you are referring to?  I have not opened any ports to the internet yet because I am attempting a local test first.  However I understand that the game might want a connect to the internet before it launches a LAN server.  Do to the lack of reliable, organized documentation for the dedicated server I am not sure what port or ports that would be.

Because this is a Linux server if I created a VPN, any VPN ports that are configured would be arbitrary on my end.  Although various Linux VPN software suites have "well know" ports that they recommend, it is possible to configure a VPN to use any valid port in Linux.  The only requirement would be ensuring that the client, the server, and their attached networking infrastructures are configured correctly. 

However, Windows tends to use static ports for VPN.  These ports vary depending on the type of VPN being set up.

Just to be clear though, I do not need a VPN to access my server.  There is a total of 6 meters of Cat 5 cable and a gigabit switch separating it from my desktop PC.  The server keeps my feet warm in the winter.  :)  All server administration is done via PuTTY/OpenSSH.

or if the Ubuntu is based on virtual machine?                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Ubuntu is not in a VM, but if possible I do plan on moving the headless PE server to an LXD container before exposing it to the internet.  That would allow me to use snapshots for backing up the PE server as well as making the GPU/OpenCL pass-though trivial compared to KVM.  Also, KVM doesn't perform as well as LXD do to scheduling issues with the threads in the VM.

Thanks again for your help and more importantly, your time.

Lazlo
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:14:17 AM by lazlo »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »

You need to open the UDP port 9900-9915 to run the server. Try to open them and restart.