Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: For those who have trouble fishing[marked]  (Read 644 times)

blubberguts

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
For those who have trouble fishing[marked]
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »

I had a little trouble figuring out how to fish. Here's how:

(a) Your fishing rod must be in one of your eight inventory slots, AND highlighted as the current slot ( Use the mouse wheel to move slot highlight OR press a keyboard number. You will see the character holding the rod in the main screen if you've done it right.)

(b) You must have at least one lure somewhere in your inventory (does not have to be in one of the eight hand slots.)

(c)  Run along the water's edge until you find a visible group of fish.

(d) Move around a little until the letter "e" appears.

(e) Press e to start fishing.

Originally I kept trying to click the left mouse while the rod was highlighted and I was next to a group of fish, but nothing happened and there was no message.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 06:22:38 AM by Dorist1 »

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Re: For those who have trouble fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:56 PM »

Yeah, we'll tweak the fishing prompt for the next build. So far, the fishing still doesn't feel exactly right, there isn't much weight to it. So we're still tweaking the coding as well.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Re: For those who have trouble fishing[marked]
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »

Hmm. I'm not sure what you have planned to change, but I managed to get around to fishing.

Firstly, the fishing instruction prompt.. I had to screencap it, because I could only read the first two lines before the fish got away. Is there another way to view this information?

Secondly, i don't know if this was due to the fishing spot i was trying to fish in, but it took quite a few tries, and was quite difficult.. I went in with 27 bait, I think around the 22 mark, is when i decided to screencap that instruction popup. After about 5 more tries, i was a bit confused at the fishing line always being max tension, regardless of where i moved the fishing pole. It finally occurred to me that reeling in the fish increased tension. With 14 bait left, i managed to catch a fish.

I also just noticed that there is no leveling for fishing. Is that something that is planned?

Seems fishing is actually not too difficult when you understand it. I managed to turn the rest of those 14 catterpillars into 10 catfish, 1 bannerfish, and 1 rusty iron pipe.

Two failures, not so bad.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:45:01 AM by Luminaire »

Cytek

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:02 AM »

grabbed a screenshot of instructions for other viewers..... other thing not really clear is what to do when fish stops moving.... I found if I point the rod directly at the fish and not have it left or right it prevents the tension from building when the fish isn't moving. In case it isn't apparent to others the orange triangles let you know which direction the fish is headed.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1076150083

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:07:19 AM by Cytek »

SnailobsterLv99

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 04:43:33 PM »

The fishing instruction can be a letter from Qiwa as thanks for making a rod for him, or can be a personal lesson that he teaches you so that people can figure out fishing in the game.

Swaying the mouse to the direction of fish works, but it has to be like all the way for tension to start lowering?  I hope the rod can be more sensitive to the mouse, so that I don't need to move my mouse too much.

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:46:37 AM »

The fishing instruction can be a letter from Qiwa as thanks for making a rod for him, or can be a personal lesson that he teaches you so that people can figure out fishing in the game.
This is totally an excellent idea! We'd take it into consideration later.

SnailobsterLv99

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

No prob, glad you like that  :D

I should be a bit clearer in my fishing "problem."  Swaying rod in fish's direction lowers line tension but only when fish is not moving.  When fish is moving, line tension won't lower at all.  I have my rod moving according to arrow's hints but still line can still break.  Fortunately that doesn't happen a lot.