Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A simulation RPG  (Read 3781 times)

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Re: A simulation RPG
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 07:37:45 AM »

I would definitely second Malus' stance on this.
You've got a good structure going here on the premise of a singleplayer game. Implementing multiplayer is just going to over-complicate things which may result in a beautiful mess, rather than a beautiful game.

Please focus on what you have planned. I too want to see how far you can go with this.

Gyson

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: A simulation RPG
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »

I just want to point out that a multiplayer request does not necessarily mean "make this an MMO". I often feel like that's the first place people's minds go to whenever they hear "multiplayer". 

Sometimes it's just about wanting to explore the world of some beautiful game with a friend at your side.

I have limited time for gaming, and what time I do spend gaming is generally spent alongside my best friend.  We enjoy playing games together, and so any game that enables us to do that usually doesn't have to work very hard to grab our interest (or money). 

On the other hand, it does mean that single-player games are competing with all the other single-player games I don't really have the time to play.

Now, I certainly don't expect every game to offer the option of playing with others, but it's nice to have that option wherever possible.  Nor do I want a game that has to sacrifice the single-player experience for multiplayer (or vice versa).  There are times when it's a question of manpower.  And there are times when it's an issue of complexity that can't be overcome.

I don't not believe the latter applies here, although that may be because I'm simply imagining a scenario where two players can collaborate on projects together in a very basic sense (e.g. both can work on gathering materials for an assignment, both have access to the player facilities, share the same shop, etc).  If that sounds like a dull multiplayer, well, it's just supposed to be an option for those that prefer it, and not a mandatory way to play.

And it could certainly be more complex than that (two shops with a friendly competition, much like there are NPCs grabbing up daily commissions, both players having individual relationship levels with NPCs, etc.), but that would obviously require more work.

My point is some of us just want to be able to load up a game, and see our friend in the same game, and then wander off together to play it in the most basic sense.  And that is a far cry from some massively multiplayer endeavor that sends most into a panic during multiplayer discussions.
Pages: 1 [2]