Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Lumi's time at portia  (Read 283 times)

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Lumi's time at portia
« on: July 07, 2017, 09:39:53 PM »

Well, this started about a week ago, and i've been trying to explore and experience and do everything I can before i give the full rundown, but i'm finding my occupation is taking a bit longer than i thought it would, and most the feedback I have written up to be submitted is just being covered by everyone else, so it's nigh time i give what I currently have :P

Firstly, I have to say, thus far, this looks absolutely beautiful! The animations and gameplay are quite smooth, and it's quite exciting to see! :)
I'm thoroughly impressed with the theme, color, and flow of things. At first, i was a little offput by the stamina system, especially when i ran out of stamina trying to fight a creature for the first time.. It followed me around the shore, into the town, around the buildings and citizens, and eventually gave up when i ran back to my workshop, inside, hiding under my bed .-.
I am glad to see though that the stamina increases as you level. It becomes much less of a limiter, and the growth is surely showing.. It's encouraged me to take part in different activities, like fishing, to level up those areas to gain more stamina (I actually have not fished at all yet.. I have been wanting to, but the distractions of other necessities have taken priority, like making that bridge, or more importantly, filling commissions!)

The character's are coming along, though they -do- feel as a whole, temporary or incomplete. (Ofcourse, this was confirmed at least a little through one of the updates). I love the little quirkiness in some of their designs, and I'm hoping to see each individual has some sort of strong individuality that sets them apart from others. I feel like there are only a hand full of them that don't fit the "standard mundane citizen" bill.
I have Mei in my sights, but mostly because the witch hat... I can't actually decide if i want her to dress a bit more witchy, or if I actually particularly like the witch hat simply because it stands out like a sore thumb, and is not really attributed to anything larger. I'm leaning towards the latter, actually.. If she was just entirely dressed witchy, it probably wouldn't be as noticable and therefore not as charming.

The mining in the abandoned ruins is nice! I actually spent about an ingame week and a half (I think) running around ready to be worried that there was not enough copper in the rocks that don't respawn to build an upgraded pickaxe so i could mine the larger ones. Then I found that mine, and oh my.. Copper never be an issue again. The mine though... This is where the smooth gameplay sort of takes a seat. Moving around the voxelized world is a bit "sticky" still, which is what PE suffered from. It is a bit smoother than PE, but I feel like i'm still getting stuck on corners, or minor ledges, and having a hard time moving around tunnels. It's rough and hard, lacking the same soft pillowy feel that running around the world currently has. This is probably a tough thing to resolve, but if it can atleast feel a little bit more slippery, or soft, it may alleviate this pain..

The other thing is the feeling that the jetpack animations are not quite there yet. I know this is still a work in progress, but I'm still going to mention it anyway. The jetpack animation and landing really needs some work.

The dialogue work in Portia is very well done, Excellent job :) Some of the humor that comes out of some of it has brought a few giggles to myself. I did notice a couple of typos here and there though. Here is one such dialogue with two in it!.

Aside from all that, here are a few little things I noticed during playing:

Animations:
The jogging/sprinting animation for the most part is smooth, and I really like them. But there's a very hard bump at the end of the step that makes it difficult for me to watch my character run. It feels like the character is thrusted downward a tiny bit further than he should be. It actually starts making me a little ill just watching it closely, but is otherwise ignorable unless i'm focused on the head. This probably isn't really an issue at all, but I thought i'd mention it.

Another weirdness seems to be a sort of "stuck" after performing an attack combo. I keep wanting to move out of an attack, but there's about a solid second where my character stands there doing nothing, and that second is typically enough to get me hit. I don't know if this is actually an issue, or me just being stingy about freedom of movement though.

Cutscenes:
I've noticed that the cutscenes seem to cut out the music. The first, is when the camera is viewing your workshop for the first time, as Presley is introducing it to you. The second is when jerk-face takes the commission from Presley as it's being handed to you. The third time is when Toby runs into the building.

In the basket on the roof task, when Toby runs into the building, he sort of just vanishes about 5 meters from the door, rather than it looking like he went inside.

Foraging:
When mining with a stone pick, if you click and then let go of the mouse, you cannot swing your pickaxe again until you physically move. This seems to occasionally happen with cutting down trees (small ones, not tried large ones), but very rarely. It seems to always happen with stone cutting though.
There is also this weird "collision" that appears often after cutting a tree, and it's not always right where the tree used to be. It exists for only a moment after all the materials and props have disappeared, but it can be run into if you're moving around cutting and collecting quickly.

Commission Board:
On the commissions board, i didn't realize i had to click on the papers to view them. Maybe some sort of tiny indicator of some sort, like an outline, or a little exclamation icon above the papers, below them or something may give a better idea as to that they are there, and that i'm not just looking at an incomplete feature. :)
I also noticed that the two options are "Accept" and "Distort". Distort is likely the incorrect word here, unless your idea of declining something is to make sure no one else can accept it because they can no longer read it :P
**Distort has been fixed, so it sounds.

Abandoned ruins:
There seems to be some relics that appear under the limit of how deep you can dig.

Upgrading the workshop:
Level 2, under the recipes unlocked, it shows Bronze Sword, Bronze Plate, and Copper Pipe. Of course, it unlocks quite a bit more things than this, and the Copper Pipe is already known before the upgrade.

Day of sunlight:
(I've actually forgotten it's name, sorry!) was a bit interesting. There are two things though that sort of made this difficult for myself, but i'll be posting a new thread regarding it, as it's more discussive.

I have not managed to build the bridge yet, because I keep getting commissions for copper plates, and filling those instead. I'm a bad bird.

In closing statement though for now, I have to say...  I am quite impressed. PE suffered from a variety of surface smoothness that made it very difficult for people to stick to it. A lot of very minor things that sort of built up subconsciously until it bothered people enough that they didn't want to play it, but couldn't quite pin down why, or explain it... The smoothness and flow of Portia thus far looks to have avoided a lot of those tiny little things. So long as you can maintain this structure and softness, I think you have a good direction here.

At first, i was quite skeptical about this up against a game like Stardew Valley, as zede knows, but I'm leaning away from that now. The open world exploration, and the ruins theme is more grabbing to me than another games of this similar genre, and god have mercy on me if I ever find an ancient ruins temple in Portia... I won't be able to contain myself..

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Re: Lumi's time at portia
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »

I saw one typo "built," what was the other one?

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:39:31 AM »

I saw one typo "built," what was the other one?

"need to goto the designated"
That sneaky space between "go" and "to" ran off and hid right under your nose.

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »

Oh, it was correct in the script, that's why I didn't see it. Don't know why it's different in the speech content database tables.

Movement for the jet pack will be tweaked, I want it exactly like the PE version.