Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: [1.0.8] Make the game stop messing with my view camera and interface windows  (Read 362 times)

DullSpoon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

I can understand adjusting the camera when inside a dungeon or inside a mine, but when I'm in my colony base with nothing but 3 block high walls everywhere (enemies spawn inside my base and I need to make sure the turrets can target the mobs) and the camera keeps twitching around all because all the colony machines and structures have tall invisible collision shells - well, that's just extremely annoying.

For instance I have all my machines for replication, repair, recycle, enhance, all next to each other. When my character walks into that area my camera starts twitching every which direction and will not stay where I put it.

It's the same for moving my interface windows, or changing the tabs when I'm working on something at my colony. For instance, lets say I have my inventory open, I'm on the resources tab, and 5 pages deep, and I want to move some of them to my colony storage. I open storage which starts on the items tab, so my inventory gets forced to the items tab. Now I have to get back to the resources tab and then work 5 pages deep again before I can start moving stuff. This is irritating in the extreme. If you insist on having the windows stay in lock-step (ie items tab to base items tab) then on opening colony storage it should first check if the inventory window is open and then it should match the tab setting on the already open window and visa versa.

And what's with the hyper colony AI for creating replication items? If it puts an item in the queue and I cancel that item, or for that matter when I cancel ANY ITEM out of the queue, then the AI should NOT try to add ANYTHING to the frakking queue for at least 30 seconds. Clearly I don't want the item built, so give me some time to pull the resource I want out of storage before the AI insist on using it all up. And the same goes for tasks I put into the queue. When I'm using the queue the AI should butt out. It shouldn't be adding tasks to the queue for at least 2 minutes after the last player task has completed. And stop the task stealing. If I created a task on the queue, I don't appreciate the AI stealing the item to put into colony storage. The AI shouldn't touch a player created task in the queue for at least 1 minutes after the task has completed or unless the queue is full.

And the same goes for processing. When I'm in the processing tab trying to setup a run, and the stupid AI keeps overwriting me and assigning colonists - that's also extremely annoying. If I cancel a colonist out of a run, then the AI should not try to auto-assign ANY colonist to any processing run for at least 5 minutes.

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile

When you first boot up your colony and add the processor (and replicator, which is usually there first), the AI will start producing the goods that it needs to be self-sustaining.  This is generally a good thing.  You should let it do what it is doing until the stockpiles are at a sustainable level (this only takes a little while usually, and then repeats occasionally when needed.)  I would rather have an AI that actually does its job than one that lets the colonists get sick, starve, run out of ammo, etc.  The automatic requests are infrequent unless you are stripping the storage of the stockpiles it creates.

Instead of taking everything that is in a stack in storage, when the stockpiles are leveled up simply process what you want or need from there.  Don't take everything in the stack, split the stack and leave 100 or so in storage.  That way there won't be so many auto-requests.

The AI works great keeping the colonists happy.  I don't want that to change.  Another auto-process will happen when you start producing farm products, but that also only happens after harvest as it starts making food for the colony.  This again will stop when there is sufficient food (of the type it is looking for) in storage.

Quick tip:  DO NOT learn the recipes for food that requires torches.  You will regret it.  Torch production is the only thing that I would change, since they do not stack and excessively fill up your storage.  Until then avoid torch recipes.  Make a list of the ones that use torches and DON"T learn them so that the colony won't try to produce them.

For the camera inside your colony, use F5 to switch to first person view.  no bouncing there.  If you need 3rd person for building, use free camera mode (F) to place your blocks (you have to be in build mode to use free camera).  This is habit for me, but if you don't use it you are missing out.

Try that and see if it helps with the aggrevation.

DullSpoon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

That tip for NOT learning the food scripts that use torches is really useful - unfortunately it's too late for my game. It still ticks me off though when I send a processor out to find animal fat which I need to make charcoal->gunpowder->ammo and the stupid game uses it all up making 80-something torches! Or when I'm making charcoal through the faster colony factory and the AI grabs my completed job out of the queue so fast I can't hope to claim it for myself - so then I'm forced to stop what I'm doing, go into supplies and forcibly remove the stolen stack of items.

And when you add in all the interface windows moving around from where I put them because the game is trying to be "helpful" and it gets aggravating real fast.

The problem is the AI is stupid. It will make torches and then cook mushroom soup, which is probably the first recipe in its list, but it only has a food value of 30. Meanwhile I've got 10x stacks of native flatbreak and salad already there for the colonist to eat. So actually I think I'd prefer an AI I could just turn OFF. I finally managed to stop alot of this by not having any mushrooms for the AI to use, and then I give it rice and heat packs and it will make riceballs instead. But do you see my point? I'm having to do all of this to GET AROUND the stupid AI.

Of course the ultimate solution is just to not give the colony hardly ANY supplies to manufacture anything, and I just use my slower personal replicator so the AI can't steal my stuff.

Maybe the devs can add the ability to UNLEARN a script - that would help. But turning off the AI would be better.