Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: 1.0.8.1 Dedicated Server Issues and Bug Report[marked]  (Read 324 times)

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
1.0.8.1 Dedicated Server Issues and Bug Report[marked]
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:16:15 PM »

I last played the game around the release of 0.90 alpha, I still had a few problems so I decided to wait for the final release. So now I have finally decided to seriously get into the game after release. I decided to rather start a dedicated server to play on since I also bought the game for a couple of friends, this way I can continue playing my main game and they can just join in whenever we're in the mood for some multiplayer. We have experienced some bugs in the meantime that I have decided to list here.

Some of these bugs have been reported before and the server is also a proxy one meaning the bugs could be caused by low transfer rates and dropped packets. This is on a survival adventure map. Here we go:

- Cannot get on vehicle: This one is well-known since 2014 and was already recently reported again. (minor - workarounds exist)

- Map view resets: It seldom happens that clients' map resets to unexplored state every time the server is restarted, meaning they have to explore and open up the map all over again. This bug does not seem to affect the master role/administrator. (significant - players needs a map)

- Colonists disappear: This practically happens every time and affects everyone whenever the server is restarted. The colonists still appear on the colony tab in your mobile PC and you can change their equipment etc. but, they are nowhere to be found in the game world itself. Fast travelling to a distant town and then back to your colony sometimes brings back a colonist or two, but not everyone. (critical - setting up a working colony takes a lot of work minor - workarounds found, see below)

- Town NPCs not regenerating: NPCs from towns never get replaced when recruiting them for your colony, this means that towns will quickly become empty when more players start to set up their own colonies. Restarting the server does not help. (significant - you need colonists for colonies, empty NPC towns is not very nice either)

- Animals spawning inside the colony shield: Animals spawn all over the colony every time the server is restarted, causing your turrets to go haywire for a moment. If you reclaimed land on water for building your colony, even fish spawn in your colony on the surface and "swims" around your colony streets. This could be related to the disappearing colonists issue mentioned above. (minor - you get lots of loot afterwards)

- Turrets target ALL animals, even docile ones: It's nice to have some birds flying around your town square or some fish swimming around your waterfront and docks, the turrets really don't have to slaughter them all whenever they get close, they won't bite. (minor - it's only an immersion thing)

Some other observations:

- Modified terrain or felled trees outside colony shields/away from player infrastructure never seem to erode away or regrow, this means that the map becomes increasingly littered with small "world modifications" everywhere (craters from battles here, chopped trees there). Eventually the game world will be in such a state that we will have to start over, for example: Battle seldom breaks out at one Paja camp on a common travel route, the terrain surrounding this camp is a complete mess already, some of their buildings even hover in the air due to the ground under them having been blown away by explosions. It should not be necessary for me to restrict players from digging holes, chop trees or use explosive weaponry on the server (I already have to do this in singleplayer), a game world in a game like this should be self-sustaining.

- Date and spelling is still in US format instead of international format, yet the game is sold internationally.

I did experience some internet issues earlier that could have caused the game world to bug out. I would like to confirm if anyone else experienced these issues (except the "cannot get on vehicle" bug, that is a known one) because they could just be isolated incidents on my game world but, restarting again is something I have done enough during alpha so I hope I won't have to again.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:18:03 AM by Dorist1 »

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: 1.0.8.1 Dedicated Server Issues and Bug Report
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 12:46:59 AM »

I wanted to address the issue with the colonists.  If you are referring to colonists in the Player colony, you can retrieve them by clicking the call button on their info screen.  (Sometimes calling them doesn't work as it will often say they are "busy doing their job.")  Note that people assigned to processing will not be in the colony... they are out foraging and collecting the resources that the processor has assigned for them to collect.  Processors will show up idle in your colony when the processor is inactive, and you can call them to you at that point without making them idle first.  You can force Colonists to be idle by assigning them as a Dweller if they don't respond to the call button... when they respond they will drop next to you, and you can reassign them to their job and go back to whatever duty they are assigned (or sleep/eat/heal as the case may be).
\
It doesn't explain where they go when they disappear, but in most cases if they are idle and not visible, calling them or assigning them a task will get them to show up for duty.

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 12:55:20 AM »

while we are listing current server issues, here is another one:

I tried hosting a server (no port forwarding set up, but that's not the problem).  When I exit the game and come back later, I can't restart the game because the server doesn't stop running and it says the game won't launch because it is already running.  I don't mind the server continuing to run, especially if someone else is playing, but it would be really really nice if you could still launch the game and rejoin the server, instead of having to use the task manager to stop process on the PE_Server in order to relaunch the game.

I am glad that I can host it again and pick up where I left off, but it is very clumsy that the PE_Client won't launch independently from the PE_Server.  I will work on the port forwarding... I think I read somewhere that setting it as proxy server you don't have to mess with port forwarding, but it is probably a lousy ping.  I'll have to try with some people to see how it goes.

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 04:17:02 AM »

Omidawn, the server starting issue is detected by Steam. We can help with reporting to Steam, but not sure if it'll be solved.

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »

you can retrieve them by clicking the call button on their info screen.

I figured that one out, yes. It didn't work at first but, if it doesn't, just fast travel to another town and back to have some of the colonists return, if one or more colonists is back, you can call the rest and they will respond. I had to do it twice yesterday and it worked both times, I was able to get all my colonists back.

I think I read somewhere that setting it as proxy server you don't have to mess with port forwarding, but it is probably a lousy ping.

If you make it a proxy server you do not need to forward ports but ping will suffer, that is correct. A proxy is basically like a middleman between the server and client and all data goes through it instead of directly between the server and client. A proxy server may cause problems if you have slow internet connection issues like I mentioned above but, a fast enough connection should mitigate the network delays by some extent.

If you have a 4G router or similar mobile router, you will require a static IP for forwarding ports. In most cases you can just ask your ISP to give you a static IP address without any additional cost.

I am actually extremely grateful that Pathea added the proxy server option, it provides an alternative for people who don't always have direct access to their routers for whatever reason to open up the required ports.