Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Repurpose the shovel into a ground smoothing tool  (Read 254 times)

DullSpoon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Repurpose the shovel into a ground smoothing tool
« on: April 25, 2017, 05:59:32 PM »

Many times in adventure mode I come across situations where explosions from turrets, or those dratted Puja mortar shells, blast shallow holes in terrain. When those holes are in a road or my crop field they are really annoying and I'd like to be able to patch them up.

But the holes are really just taking the terrain down to the next grid/voxel level. Filling the holes will instead make a hill in the road. There doesn't seem to be a leveling tool that will let you blend out these areas.

So repurpose the shovel for this. In fact, since the tools in this game don't have any configuration options, perhaps we need two different types of shovel. One shaves down "hills" and the other fills in "holes" so that voxels in the targeted area are smoothed to match the surrounding terrain.

Ever tried to smooth a steep hill in a road? Forget it. I've tried this with a shovel or pickaxe and the terrain becomes so rough that a basic Jeep vehicle gets stuck.

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: Repurpose the shovel into a ground smoothing tool
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 11:48:42 PM »

A selection tool that simply "restores original terrain" within the selection area would be fine, and takes the appropriate amount of dirt/rock/etc from your inventory, or gives you a message that you need "# (resource) needed," OR gives you back resources if it deletes terrain voxels that have been placed (or misplaced) that you want to retrieve without having to dig it back out.  I know that ctrl-Z can do this if you haven't gone too far, but sometimes you change your mind after it is too late, or don't want to delete other things that were placed afterward.

Footnote/tech tip:  I'm told that terrain blocks have a significant effect on framerate for a lot of people.  Building with terrain should be limited out of courtesy to others whom you might be playing with.  Terrain also cannot be saved as a Building ISO, so it is not transportable in any case.  Make builds small or hollow (visible surface only) to improve framerate for visitors.