Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Questions about some aspects of translation[marked]  (Read 212 times)

veryeager

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Questions about some aspects of translation[marked]
« on: March 04, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »

Hello folks. You made a great thing, maybe it is Mother Of All Games. I just recently found out about it and very impressed. And I immediately wanted to get Russian translation. I assured that there were several attempts to make it, but all haven’t led to the result. So now I decided to do it by himself. Yes, my English is strongly imperfect, but my Russian is firmly perfect. :)   (And I have some literary translation experience.)

In this regard, a few questions about game text (i18n.db file).

1. Is there any unused / obsolete text? For example, where the arrow turrets mentioned (ID 3000038, 3000365 etc.). Should I (and other translators) translate it? Could you make a list of such positions that can be ignored during translation process? Especially this applies to quest texts that more extensive.

2. What does the SC abbreviation ("SC Helmet Type1”) mean? Space / Star Commando? I translate this as "космодесант" (literally "space marines").

3. What does the SMA abbreviation ("SMA steel helmet") mean? Is it really used in game?

4. What does "cortical" applied to clothing mean? I translate this as "умный" in quotes (it means "smart", "intelligent").

And separately, a few questions about the names of animals. I would like to understand the logic of naming of some animals to find or construct their Russian analogues.

1. What does Aricroc mean? Specifically, what is "Ari"?

2. What does "servidae stag" mean? This stegosaurus is not like deer. The main thing - it don't have horns.

3. What does "Arbilla" mean? Chinchilla + what?

4. What does "Marisenhor" mean? Mari – Marian, senhor – ? Should this word to reflect its dapper look? In Russian it not working. Can I translate it as "Marian dandy / toff" or even "toff giraffe" (by the way, this creature is far more like a giraffe than a Needlenose Giraffe)?

5. What does Andhera, Uredklad, Layerback, Domaca, Dhalacav, Sagitta, Oskra, Marishu, Koraha, Dacolpi, Sorasi, Suna, Soka, Veiderun, Baronacka, Berapi, Dayu, Hongzui, Hvitthar, Laas, Larve, Pantano, Raguota, Unaala mean?

The problem is also in the fact that not all of them are presented in wiki, and I may don't find them in the game. And I have no idea how looks Soka or Berapi and what they doing.

Regards.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:11:44 AM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about some aspects of translation[marked]
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:42:00 AM »

1. Some of the translations are not used in the game, but we're not sure which one is used or not, since there're too many of them.

2. You can refer "SC" as a code name in "SC Helmet Type1”

3. The same as the above.

4. "Cortical" means fur without hair.

veryeager

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

Thank you very much. But there remains the question about the mentioned animals, perhaps (upon second thought) except servidae stag, arbilla and layerback.

HaZeR

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »

A few more questions. How to translate NPC names? Inscriptions on the characters are not translated. In dialog boxes, the display of the character's name is also not translated.

veryeager

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 09:36:09 AM »