Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: smooth roads  (Read 255 times)

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
smooth roads
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:41:38 PM »

The roads in adventure mode are just painted on dirt texture.  If colonists actually went to the effort to spread dirt to make a road, don't you think they would smooth it out?   During terrain generation run a smoothing filter along the path of the road, so that roads actually have a benefit rather than just being a different terrain color.

Dorian_Grey

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: smooth roads
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:10:29 AM »

Yes.  Same with trees sticking out of the roads please.

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: smooth roads
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:29 PM »

LoL.  the sad part is that in most cases the road HAS been smoothed.  Some terrain is just so bad that even smoothed it is not navigable.  I think what would be just as helpful would be the ability to build roads ourselves.  We are the colonists, after all.  Leveling would be easy if we could add layers of terrain at the same level as the surface instead of defaulting to "on top" of it.  Laying terrain instead of blocks uses an extreme amount of dirt (because you can mine the dirt back out of it), I think it is 8 dirt per terrain.  However with all of the dirt we collect mining (and, if needed, from the processor), we should at least be able to smooth out the worst sections.

Digging with a drill should give massive amounts of dirt, so materials are not a problem.  Actually laying a decent road is a bi-otch.  Since you can't do a grade with terrain, it is pretty much impossible except if you want to "fill in" a really bad section, and shovel off the peaks to make it level.  I love traveling by jeep, but traversing rugged terrain is basically monorail, plane, or on foot.

It would resolve much of the problem if you could do a gradient with terrain and if you could place the layer starting at the level of the surface, instead of a block above it.  (Obviously it should use less dirt this way, as you are 'filling in the gaps' instead of laying full terrain blocks.)

It is also common for a road to go up the side of a cliff.  If the road does not line up with a compass point, it is impossible to build a ramp that lines up with the road.  You just have to build a new road section and ramp (or build a tunnel if that works).  Being able to do a terrain incline would be really nice in these cases... it would look much better than a sudden "block ramp."  I have done those too, and a 1:3 rise works ok for vehicles.  1:4 would be a nice option too.  Also, make the "road texture" available as a dirt terrain option.  None of the dirt textures match the road, so any repairs are really obvious.

It really hacks me when the Pujans come along and mortar the road next to my compound full of holes.  Starting a new game is easier than fixing a road.

Quick add: I make it a mission to remove any trees from the roadways... especially if the roads are good.  Civil engineers rule Maria!  LoL.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 09:40:41 PM by Omidawn »