Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: OK time for some real talk!  (Read 717 times)

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
OK time for some real talk!
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:26:05 PM »

I wanted to do another video series showcasing all the progress made from the last one, hell it's the whole reason I did it in the first place. I wanted a base for comparison, and did that video series from the get go with that in mind.

A few days ago i decided it's time to give it another go(gives me something to do and helps you guys out at the same time). I played thru and recorded all the way to the earth camp,but while editing my audio was clipping in and out so decided to redo it.

But now we need to have some real talk about the game, not sugar coated, straight talk, because I'm at the point to where if something doesn't change I have to walk away from the game, and I don't think I will come back(too many times I came back thinking something was gonna change and it was worse than before).

now I haven't been through the entire game so I can't comment on all of it, but I will go through what I have noticed so far, both good and bad, and offer up solutions on how to fix it, not just complain on what is wrong. I will try to continue the series, but I'm finding it hard and update this thread as I continue.

1-The character Creator

The character creator still has model issues........... Alot of the newer hairstyles float above the characters head. this looks terrible in the character creator,but isn't that bad in the game. It's one of those thing that once you see it, it can't be unseen. I think many people don't use most of the hairstyles because of this, which leaves me with the question, if its broken and nobody uses it, why is it still in the game?

Mostly with the female hairstyles the ears don't line up the the ear holes in the hairs, so some hairs can't be used with some faces at all........... I doesn't make since to me, why the ears move on different faces? Some combos result in ears tucked under floating hair, hair clipping through the ears, or just badly placed ears. This leaves the playable character very limited in options... This also messes with the random character generation, It drives me crazy when I get NPCs with messed up face/hair mismatch....... 

One suggestion, someone on here mentioned before, is the option to put clothes on your character in the creator which is an excellent idea, but I would like to add the addition of a light also. The problem here is that in the creator your character looks fine and the right color, without clothes in that lighting, the texture and shading fools you, but once you get your super beefy tan dude in game with clothes he just looks fat and the wrong color in the sunlight. Just add (at minimum) a check box for light and clothes........ checking the light box turns the light on , unchecking it turns it off, same with the clothes just add the issue clothes, but you could go one step further with a few differnt sets of armor and a light slider to adjust brightness.....

2-Random NPC generation

Random NPC generation still needs tweaking .......... I'm ok with the lightest skin that I can go, is just the default peach color that pure white on the color slider gives(my opinion it's to much color saturation and appears to dark once in game, but looks fine in the character creator, I would like to create paler skin tones) but it's ok because it fits into your art style well...

The default color you have for dark skin NPCs appear blackish green (very disturbing) in my game while Adisia, Lao, Dayitia, Tariq , and Tank are all different shades of dark skin and look perfectly fine in game..... the NPCs never match or look natural.....

I still get NPCs that are oddly shaped.................The generator needs to be restricted a bit more........ Men thin everywhere with huge thighs........alot of NPCs with chemical smiles or looking like they are gonna puke........... normal face with max size nose..... the list goes on and on..........I'm starting to hate random NPCs altogether..........this was tweaked perfect in past versions.....Just take the random character generator module and generate 100 NPCs and if any one of them are outside of the expected normal looking , tweak the offending limits and repeat....... or hand craft a few hundred NPCs and throw out the random NPC generator..... 

3- Item names in the replicator and creation system

I don't know of any item in the game that has 10 different versions, off the top my head fuel cell type 04 is the highest one everything else is limited to version 2 or 3, which makes me wonder why and the hell do you need a 2 digit number to tell them apart.......... I understand it sounds cool and all but in the replicator and export window(2 windows that can't be resized) you still can't tell fuel cell type 01 from fuel cell type 02 because the window of both cuts the description off after the zero.......... resize all the widow screens to fit the current description, change the some of the models to where nothing can get confused by just looking at them( mostly fuel cell 01 & 02 are guilty of this) or the easiest thing, just drop the zeros so we can tell all types apart, i'm tired of using up all my resources to craft type 02 fuel cells when I really needed type 01 but couldn't read the  description.........if you can read it why is it in the game at all??

The new swords have the same names as the old swords......... I know because I played long before they were added , but new players cant tell the difference between wood sword and wood sword, again why do we have descriptions if they tell us nothing about the item? Add 2 handed or Great to the new swords.............Smoked Sausage takes up 2 lines in the replicator., I think you have room to differentiate the 2 types of swords.........

The hunter boots Icon in the shops and inventory have a tint on them both male and female making them not look like they are part of a set even though in game the boots are the same white leather as the rest of the suit......... this problem isn't that big, but if your gonna fix it , I was thinking a slight different colored tint added to the male and female sets  to differentiate the sets from each other a bit more  .............I'm tired of trying to read those tiny male female symbols, and accidentally making the wrong set(yes it still happens to me sometimes)

Another solution would be to fix the unused  armor tab in the inventory............I know its for ISO armor which is unisex I believe(wouldn't know because I don't like the armor section in the creator, not enough voxel resolution(voxels are to large), but changing that tab to be used by all armor with the ISO armor going in one section, female going in its own section and male going in its own............
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:36:35 PM by BKCXb »

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OK time for some real talk!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:12:55 PM »

4-Game and item balance

OK I know you added an easy mode and adjustments had to be made for that( I'm not sure what has changed or was adjusted, I'm not 5 years old and play games at an appropriate difficulty level), but I think you adjusted things that are not modified properly for regular mode or got carried over from easy mode, the balance is all over the place............

example:

starter knife- Attack +9                 
                   Speed 0.8
                   Durability Unlimited
                   Cost free

Wood Sword- Attack +10
                   Speed 1.1
                   Durability 24
                   Cost free script + time gathering wood

In this case both can be used with with a shield so both have the same use case.........doing a little math, normalizing over 10 seconds, the wood sword has a DPS of 9.09 and the starter knife has a DPS of 11.25......The math tells the tale of what I feel in game, the starter knife feels overpowered and the wood sword feels about right........ This is not the whole story though because the case could be made that the starter knife is alittle more powerful on purpose, but the way I see it you just made the wood sword another totally skippable item in the game, just remove it and save the VRAM.......  the starter knife has higher DPS if you land all your shots and even if you don't you get more attacks in the same time frame, as the starter knife gets 75 attack chances in 1 minute while the wood sword only gets just under 55 and the starter knife never looses durability and cost less..........there is no point to use the wood sword.........period!

The 2 handed wood sword is completely unusable and the stone one is even worse(total garbage, did you even play test them?) The damage can be adjusted 10 times higher and I still wouldn't use them......... the problem is the swing animations don't connect with anything most of the time, I don't feel the extra range that the longer sword would be expected to provide. The other problem is the animations are so long , by the time you complete them the animal has moved, so its DPS can't be calculated, only estimated in the range of 0 to very little because you can't connect with anything!!!!!!! Remove the lower tier long swords because they are horrible and only serve the function of showcasing how bad the combat is......... without a block or secondary attack option,  I  have no idea how to fix these......................they are just baaaaaaaaaad!

Then we come to the daggers...........I absolutely love them! Best thing that you added to the game ever!!! Only problem I found with them is they don't follow any rhyme or reason. I would expect the wood daggers to swing fast with little damage and the stone to do more damage and be slower because of the weight.

wood- Attack +11
         Speed 0.9
         DPS 12.22

Stone- Attack +19
          Speed 1.1
          DPS 17.27

Here the damage is a good upgrade at first look but actually playing with them I barely noticed the difference and the math once again shows why, I only gained 5 damage if all attacks hit, but the slower swing speed and less amount of attacks in the same time frame, I  found the stone daggers miss more attachs, takes longer to kill making the fights much longer which equals to more mistakes on my part, me taking more damage, using more heals........... even though the stone daggers have a higher DPS I couldn't tell the difference, I just had to judge them on their time to kill and how they felt in a fight, and they lost I went back to the wood daggers........... this problem exists all the way up the line I preferred the silver daggers swing speed over the gold daggers extra damage..................this in it self isn't bad except there seems to be no clear consistent upgrade path thru the daggers (all melee weapons, really) I would expect the wood to be fast and the stone to be slower but I need them to feel more powerful and worth the upgrade........right now they are not, the daggers can't be allowed to go over what the fastest swords swing are at or they are useless............the whole beauty of the daggers is the speed, 1.1 is too slow........... just dropping the stone daggers to 1 second flat gets the DPS up to 19 a major boost, but may not be enough and dropping it to .9 brings the DPS up to 21.11 but than we have the problem of the swing speeds being the same as the wood, so you would have speed up the wood daggers  etc. etc.

I don't think copper daggers exist(good decision by the way, because like the other copper gear no one would use them having iron versions in the same shop,not much more expensive and all the resources you will ever need 10 feet away) but if they did the stone daggers could be at their damage level with a slower swing speed..... following a simple 2 step or 3 step upgrade system for daggers. Wood would be first all stats in the middle(which they seem to be and fell right) than the stone needs enough damage to overcome its slower speed( not the case right now, 1.1 cant be allowed on a dagger) bump the damage a few points and up the speed speed to 1 flat, the next tier should get a tiny damage boost but the speed should should come back up than the next tier could get a huge damage boost with a lose in speed again or a reasonable damage boost and another bump in speed, than back to the huge damage boost and reduced speed for the next tier..

basically keeping 2  or 3 speeds and adjusting damage accordingly but always rising no matter what, so a next tier dagger never feels weaker or not worth the upgrade..

With the 2 tier upgrade system  I would make all daggers  swing at 0.6 and 0.9, and the next tier faster dagger would roughly keep the same damage as the last tier slower dagger that's 300 milliseconds difference in speed which is huge with the way the current combat system is  , which I WILL be going over in great detail later....

in a 3 tier upgrade system I would do 0.6 , 0.8 , & 1.0 , all the damages would have to be tested to make sure everything feels right and no tier gets left behind.... alittle more work but may be worth it in the end...

Armor specs is a huge improvement and a huge disappointment all at the same time........... First I noticed overall armor rating seems down , at least on the lower tier stuff which is OK by itself....... I did find it weird that an issued short sleeve shirt has an armor rating of +7 while a pair of issued long pants has an armor rating of +4 ??? no big deal, nobody will keep them for very long, but still weird...... :P

When I got to Doc Carter and saw the hunter gear I was elated to see there was very little addition to armor rating but had a huge list of buffs and even an extra buff for having the full set..... this is fantastic....I love it!!!!

When I got to Chen and saw the second set.. I spent a good half hour comparing the leather armor to the hunters gear........ although I was happy to see the huge list of buffs also along with a bigger bump in armor rating, after fully evaluation I was alittle let down......... when you really figure out whats going on the leather armor is basically the same thing +10 extra health but -2 health regen every 5 seconds, down a bit here down a bit there etc. etc.

the point is there is nothing much separating the 2 sets , minus a few points here , plus a few points there, basically nothing to really to differentiate  the 2 sets, really only the bump up in armor rating just like it was before. The leather top is +10 over the hunter's top which by itself makes up for the 3 piece set bonus of the hunters set on its own............

When I got to Adisia and saw the copper armor set things got alittle more interesting, as that set includes a debuff but offered nothing armor ratting wise over the leather set........ the only thing it offers is a 4th piece, the helmet which also includes a debuff  :o With every buff a few points lower overall and added debuffs without any addition to armor ratings over the leather set I skipped the copper set for the first time since I bought the game. I don't have a problem with one set not being compelling enough to tempt me to upgrade , but the problem is that the copper set isn't an upgrade in any way..........

When I got to the Martian's camp I was crushed!!!!!! :-\ all the upper tier stuff has mostly debuffs with very little buffs although the armor rating does seem to rise. The problem I see here is some sets drop your stamina down so far you drain it to nothing in normal melee combat with a few hits........... not a problem by itself, but where that set is at in the game your not doing enough DPS with your weapons, making the set another pass in my book...... I find myself going straight to the hunter/leather sets complete or mixed with each other ignoring the matched set bonus ,than skipping all the way to bronze set, as that's when the armor rating gets high enough to overcome the lack of huge buffs on the first 2 sets.........I wasn't to excited for the silver or gold sets either, this in addition to the hole left in dagger upgrade path,I'm left feeling alittle limited and lacking for gear..............

last complaint about gear is the durability, since the hunters boots has a few points of healing every 5 seconds I didn't upgrade them and the durability is pathetic............ they didn't last long enough to ride the Carter cycle to Chen, get Sly's backpack and back to Carter's camp, they were almost at zero durability when I wanted to leave to go find Adisia, I had to repair them before I left.................than I had to repair them again at the Martian Camp!!!..........than again when I was ready to leave earth camp to go find  Ataro.........I found this to be a bit excessive, which would force me to upgrade to something else just based on that, except all the shoes, hats and gloves (small gear in general)have unusually low durability and are not much higher per tier. I see this as a daunting nightmare  of a mess once I get 10 to 20 people in the colony.... I'm going to be stuck micro managing the one slot in the repair machine  :'( (ignore is if you added AI to allow NPC's to repair their own stuff or their gear doesn't take damage, don't know ,didn't get that far yet)

How I would fix this, is concentrate on one basic concept for an armor set and stick to that concept nothing more nothing less......... the hunters set for example give us huge buffs in almost every available category that you have buffs for in the game leaving only one direction to go, up with armor rating(just like it was before) and disappointment city for everything else................ :-[  The hunters gear should be about catching and killing small trash mobs early in the game.............to do that you need stamina to catch them, survive ability to last in battle and damage to kill them, nothing more............... the whole set should include a small heath boost with small regen ,  large stamina boost with large amounts of regen, a large attack bump and the 3 piece set bonus needs to be worth it , maybe a small bump in all three stats(like +10 to health,+10 attack,-5% stamina usage). The comfort level, hunger level boost  and comfort expenditure reduction tacked on feels contrived and unnecessary................Please don't do percentage based buffs in low tier armor anymore, The 2% attack might as well be 0% as 2% attack added on my wood daggers math looks like this......... +11 attack x 2% = +11.22 rounded down +11................and the leather armor's  3% looks like this...... +11 attack x 3% = +11.33 also rounded down to +11 also...... Please don't insult the players intelligence just get rid of of them on the lower tier stuff........... 

When we move to the leather armor that's even worse , did we really need -2 to health regen........... +10 heath regen every 5 seconds on the hunter's armor isn't going to magically turn you into a tank or keep you alive during long fights..............drooping it lower for the leather set isn't enough of a difference to make one set more valuable or preferred by the player.... +10 or +8  health every 5 seconds serves the same purpose, to heal up between fights they may as well be the exact same ..........as they are not different enough to justify another different buff stat. The leather set should be more about higher armor rating , survive ability  and comfort( your first real armor set ............. the health boost should be a flat, large health boost without regen or just better regen without the flat health boost, point is it's dose survive ability in a different way, and instead of the stamina boost you get comfort boost .............nothing more...........

moving on to the copper set it should be your first heavy armor set,  The armor rating should be higher as it's metal after all, the weight should have the burden of the debuff to hunger expenditure because your caring heavy copper armor around , and you can give it small buffs/debuffs in all the categories it has now , I don't really care which ones ......... I just don't like going from one armor set to a second set with barely any noticeable differences between the 2 , to a set without any armor rating increase smaller buffs and 2 or 3 debuffs canceling out most of the buffs.............. than force more debuffs on the next set and even more on the next.................... the problem I have with this is you have more debuffs  on the actually usable armor sets  than buffs ............even if the trend reverses in the higher tier sets its pointless because by the time that happens the armor ratings get so dam high after the first aluminum armor set , the rest becomes irrelevant , at 350 armor you can tank everything in the entire game .................everything past that point should be about a different way to play the game........... like what does the colony clothes , casual clothes , or fatigues add to the game play at the point in the story when available??? nothing is your answer :-\ The higher tier armor is the same irrelevantly larger armor ratings with irrelevantly different debuffs/buffs ............. This brings up more questions , how did the game play benefit from this output in effort of making these changes?? Did it make the game better? What value does it add to the game? Is the game more fun with these changes?  Sadly no!       

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »

5-The Buff/Debuff system & conveying info to the player

In the past, I totally ignored this system altogether....the problem is it had no rhyme or reason and the info isn't clear and even if I did know what was happening, I made no real difference in game..........things seemed to happen at random and bug out and never go away, it was easier to ignore it than play with as a value add to gameplay....

Now the system seems alittle more tuned and I know what buffs/debuffs exists in the game, but I'm still unsure of the point and how to use the info displayed........

the health and stamina are straight forward , Stamina only has buffs and debuffs controlled by your armor set, nothing else effects it, no items or any player management is required.... only problem it can cause is if you run out of it , but what is the penalty for running out?? not very much........your animations slow down a tiny bit.........it doesn't really matter that much.....

the health system is the same, buff and debuffs controlled by your armor and a few different ways to fill your health with crafted items(herbal juice,med packs, etc) this is very easy to use and manage

the comfort system feels tacked on and not really needed, the info is clear and filling the bar has 2 easy methods, sleep which is easy and free, but has one major flaw , it makes the whole day night cycle not needed.......... night and the whole point of the dark creatures is totally skippable and unused parts of the game now........just sleep to get around the comfort system and skip the whole night parts altogether..........

The second way to fill your comfort is the comfort injections , which needs alittle tweaking as I don't think anyone is using this part of that system............ a few reasons why the comfort injections are not being used is the crafting cost are too high for what you get out of them..... with the comfort bar having a capacity of 500 and the injections only really providing 50 and 100 per shot  you need 5 to 10 shots to fill the bar............. the crafting cost between the large and small is exactly double for double the comfort so it is always better to make small shots so you don't waste as much if you only need an extra 30 comfort and its still better to take a hour nap...........

to fix the comfort system either reduce the crafting cost to almost nothing to put it inline with free sleep or increase the comfort shots to 2 or 2.5 times the comfort received to make the crafting cost worth it, and make some benefit to crafting the larger shot........... right now i would rather have 2 little shots instead of 1 large one because with more smaller ones I can use the more efficiently, divide them among my followers better and there is no down side................ maybe bring the small one up to 75 with the with the current crafting cost and the large ones up to 200 so there is a reason to craft large ones to get you larger amounts of comfort for slightly less cost ................otherwise I see no point in having large shots in the game at all.................

Slowing down the comfort gotten from sleep to make comfort shots alittle more useful would help . Make comfort from sleep diminishing in returns the longer you sleep............that way a 1 hour nap would get back huge amounts of comfort and each passing hour of sleep would return increasingly less. Make it so , with zero comfort it would take a full 26 hours of sleep to get a full comfort bar........... this would force more small naps now and than and would offset the time alittle making you not really need sleep if you managed it well so you could stay up and experience the night if you wanted and if it was managed badly you would find yourself needing small comfort shot just to get you thru the day..........

the hunger bar it totally befalling............ it has buffs/debuffs affected by armor, food is used to fill it...........certain foods just fill the bar the amount rated on the card and some can also trigger an extra buff, but all can trigger a debuff if taken to far this is all fine in theory and sounds prety straight forward and easy to manage, but in practice it is a mess............

the trigger points for full stomach seems extremely random or just totally bugged out altogether....................... I would think full means full, but it doesn't full seems to be around 75 to 80% of the bar which is perfectly fine by itself , because if full was full than you would never trigger over eating ................. but the problems I have with full is the threshold for full doesn't seem st stat consistent with the buffs given from the armors.............. I can get full at 50% sometimes............. I can have full, excessive eating level 1, and excessive eating level 2 all show at the same time, and they go away at different rates, they seem to glitch out and never go away, there is no clear pattern and seems random and buggy.......... I don't see many people using this system at all because of this........ the buffs don't last long enough to provide any usable benefits and can't be reliably set off.............which leave the question, what use or they??  The food buff that add extra oxygen levels would be cool to trigger during the cave fish mission, but i can't trigger when I want making the whole buff useless and pointless..............If these buffs are so hard to get to trigger than thay should provide a usable benefit, last long enough to actually use said benefits and reward the player for maintaining the buff(keeping it active) or they should remain trivial but more common and easier to set off and with a clear indication of when they will wear off.........

The food buff/debuff system lacks a huge amount of info feedback to the player (all buff/bebuff in general), full is an invisible line that seems to move around without reason, yet the player is punished with a debuff  for going over this line........... full's description is very unclear as I'm still unsure if a negative amount of reduction to something is a buff or a debuff, just not sure as the play weather I want it or not, everyone else I watched  played the game seems unsure also and just ignores it, only eating to keep their character from constant complaining or out of the dry heave animation...........

full seems to carry a huge amount of buff/debuff , 50% which is huge but not knowing weather it is helping or hurting me is even a bigger deal, than excessive eating level 1 seems to add another huge 30% to that , than excessive eating level 2 add 10% more............this seems odd , confusing  and kinda backwards to me......First we have the problem of what exactly is being buffed and what is being debuffed.....Second it doesn't seem to follow a set pattern, third it buggs out making understanding how it supposed to work almost impossible..... Fourth the debuffs should increase exponentially not decrease exponentially, or are they additive I don't know??? I,m not sur anyone knows.............

I think you need to clearly mark all buffs in green text and all debuffs  in red text, do the same with the little Icons and clearly list the time each buff/defuff will last so we can tell if it's bugged or not(we have no way of telling now it's all a random mess right now).  Maybe actually play test the system and see if it represents your original vision, if it does than this game was built just for you only...............the players don't have any idea if it bugged , badly conceived, badly executed, not giving proper info to us or are we all just to stupid to understand what is going on with it, or all of the above..............but if that is the case you have failed as a developer........... 

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »

6-Loot and Mission rewards

I think the overall drop rates of loot/materials  is way to high ....... it's too easy to get multiple stacks of meat and materials............. This makes the pace of the game too fast, where you go from  zero with nothing, to endgame content before the story ever gets going........ this causes you to skip alot of the items and mechanics in the game totally. Then by the time the story gets going , there isn't much to do, so the game becomes clicking tons of story dialogue boxes.......... not very much fun, nothing left to drive you to finish playing , other than completing the story........... once you know the story, there is no reason to touch the game again........ Adventure mode has the same problem.........too high drop rates + loot drops= 0 to end game in a few hours of play.

Mission rewards don't make sense anymore....not that they were very strong before......... for example, the mission you do for Adisia where she gives you a ladder script.........if I knew I was getting a useless ladder script that cost 12 meat which I have 3000 of by this time, I wouldn't have ever wasted my time doing the mission in the first place.............most of the mission rewards are like "Gee! Thanks?" when you get them....... I think you need a loot reward system to combat this....... instead of fixed scripted mission rewards..... you would get to choose 1 of 3 or more scripted rewards + 2 random loot items from the mission givers shop......

example- Adisia gives the steel swordsman mission to go kill 3 greenbacks. once complete, I get steel sword and shield scripts...... well if i'm playing a purely ranged character or prefer daggers, than the scripts are useless to me...... I would much rather ,when completing the mission, a loot window would pop up giving me the choice between the steel sword, steel bow, steel  daggers or steel great sword script and maybe 2 random items from her shop or 2 credits that could only exchange for items in her shop, all unused credits could be excepted in the trading post for anything

7- World Economy

there is no economy to balance things out............low tier items and materials can't be sold because the are deemed worthless or there is no way to make them less than 1 meat/mari, but I can make dirt chairs and sell the for a nice profit all day long......

I believe everything in the game should be able to be sold............dirt is a perfect example .......... it is deemed worthless and has no sell price........even though it cost me time to get it and I could of lost a few shovels getting it.............but this is where the economy is flawed as it is now.........there is no way to make dirt worth  .0001 meat, which is why dirt should cost 1 meat per 100 to 1000 units based on how much of it is for sell in the world......... if the game compared the total amount for sale from all the vendors/trading post and set the price it would simulate an economy...........

early game you could make a few bucks adding to the world economy, and in the late game it would turn on you and reverse .......the player would really be playing themselves as adding to many items, too fast early game would make the economy flatten out quicker making it much harder to get rich quick, like it is now........the economy would help players get started easier as they added into it, slow the mid game down as the economy starts to flattens out and starts to fill up, and make the late game more challenging as vendor would only buy your huge stacks of of excess materials at deeply discounted prices, the more you sell the worse it gets...........

with the reduction of loot drops, the world economy could be a huge part of the game and colony management 

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

Slowing progression is what they added skill tree for...

With self imposed rules you can always play slower, but you can never play faster than the game allows.   If someone wants to blow thru the game they easily can, but how does that affect how you choose to play?   Even Elder Scrolls games are infamous for both having set records for the fastest runs as well as the longest play series.   I never blow thru any of those games, even when I see how it is possible to do.  Easiest play rule for increasing gameplay is never buy anything but recipes, and never use meat as currency, only valuable boss drops can be traded, etc.

Of course self imposed rules usually break down in multiplayer without a way of imposing server rules.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »

exactly, in skyrim I decide the progression ..........not sure if I ever finished the main story in 1000 hours with 4 different play troughs or not........

I play the skill tree when I'm not interested in the story, just fell like doing what I want or falling behind the difficulty of it.

When I boot up the game next time I check where I am in the story , maybe do a story quest or 2 , but always fall into exploring and doing what I want, but always making progress on my skill tree.

I always loved the Idea of the Skill tree(less excited about how it is implemented), as it slows the game down and forces the player to complete certain goals to match where you are in the story difficulty and allows those sessions of completely doing what you want while still progressing ignoring the story(the very definition of sandbox)

If only there was a hard mode with a skill tree....................

I only got to play with the skill tree once........... funny thing was it was in story mode............. don't know why they took it out??  Only reason I can think of, is that it doesn't really offer anything except slowing progression which can be easily circumvented by chopping a few hundred or mining for an hour.........which both progress story and the skill tree at the same time...........   

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 08:29:05 AM »

I only got to play with the skill tree once........... funny thing was it was in story mode............. don't know why they took it out?? 

They never added the skilltree to story mode. I'm not sure how you could have experienced this myself..

I havn't had time to read all of what you've written above, but I know a great portion of what i've read I couldn't disagree with.. A lot of the weirdness in the names, and stat differences is odd. I don't think so much the armor, as it lets people sort of pick and choose their favored looks without too much of a penalty, but the weapon damage (especially with the attack speed added in) is quite a bit off. I could never really find any use for the wooden sword either, and the iron tools/weapons overall seem to trump all until diamond.. They are even better than gold, due to the speed..

I do know that a lot of the stats we see now were added in along with new features, and a bit rushed.. I'm not sure there has been much time to write out tables and do all the math for balancing, atleast, that is how it feels to me.

I've not noticed the hair issue, but now that you've mentioned it, i'll need to take a glance at that when i get a chance..

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »

if you never noticed the hair issues before, don't look at it!!!!  if you like me once you see it it can't be unseen and you can't stop looking at it in game....

i'm pretty sure when they first added the skill tree it was in all modes, I played with it in story, because I never play adventure, and I have played with it once...... just as I was getting into it the next update it was gone..........not sure if the addition of it to story was intentional or it was accidentally included in that one update and later corrected...

either way I saw no problem with its inclusion(except maybe balance issues as you could chop a few hundred trees and get tons of skill points and be too overpowered too soon. Plus it adds to the fact that somewhere around the aluminum armor, gear becomes irreverent and the story turns into a final fantasy game(more dialogue clicking than game play)) but if there was a hard mode decreasing the drop rates and lowering all stats to compensate for boost that the skill tree will add back into game by its inclusion, you would have a completely different playing story mode for a different kind of player............

all the stats in the game are there, that's the good  news,I'm just saying they feel way out of balance, which is super easy to fix, also a good thing.............my concern is that the player based has died and very few people are giving feedback anymore........

If the game was finalized today and never worked on again I think the final product would be considered a failure as most new players would just play thru it once missing( or ignoring) most of the games mechanics , then never touching the game again............. As a long time player,I find myself sitting in this boat, I feel like I have done everything the game has to offer, nothing has been added to change the way I play, and most of the systems and mechanics were better or at lease functioned much better before they redid it and alot of the new stats don't really make much sense............

I thought the game being released, but still being worked on was gonna be a great time as some of the balancing issues well all have grown used to and over time become blind too would be addressed ..........but I feel like the changes being made are making the game worse or are pointless(wasted development time) .......... I don't know what the plans for the game are, how much longer are they gonna work on it, and how much the problems the developers have gone blind to(too close to the project to see) and without real feedback from the dwindling community I'm left scared for the games future as I find myself looking for reasons to play the game, and entertaining the thought of deleting it to free up hard drive space when I do play it(the game has more problems the more they work on it).......

the game getting worse isn't totally a bad thing......that's just game development........ some parts of the game usually suffer while other parts are getting focused on and tuned...... but unless they are totally committed to working on the game until everything is fixed(in the real world money decides this for you), i feel the game will be abandoned at some point in a state that is not as good as it once was.....I'm not sure I'm not getting any feedback or news on whats going on...........all I know is we will be able to ride animals, when the games balance makes me want to delete the game..............from my point of view WHO CARES!!!........if i don't want to play the game at all because of balance ,difficult to use systems, and bugs/misunderstood features......... what difference does riding animals make????

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 06:19:34 PM »

Balancing the game is what beta was supposed to be for, alpha was supposed to be for feature complete.  Instead they plan post release for adding new features (riding animals) in hopes that 1.x patches bring players back to try them, because Steam makes games evergreen in theory.

Myself I moved on to Ark Survival Involved (typo intentional) left it when I realized single player was an MMO shard of one, then moved to Shroud of the Avatar left it when I realized single player was also an MMO shard of one and it is all about cash shop decorations and real money transactions.  Replayed Skyrim Special Edition, found it much more stable for modding but shelved it waiting for the big missing mods.  Came back to Planet Explorers at release and found most focus was on the very dead multiplayer also without a balance for single player.  Just this weekend downloaded Conan Exiles (PE got deleted) and having more fun than I did in Ark, better story and lessons learned.   Really excited about Morrowind coming this summer to Elder Scrolls Online, worth another shot know that they have thieves, assassins guild and removed the level and alliance barriers to openworld gaming.

I got my kickstarter investment back in playtime for PE, but sad that I have never been motivated to play the entire story or stick with a long play adventure like I can in Skyrim.  My point is it is more likely to find what you look for playing all the open world survival/adventure games rather than pinning hopes on one game.  Not sure I will come back to PE myself, I was never as enthused about voxel creations as others, for me it was more about the open world sandbox and I do not see that being much improved.

In order for this game to succeed post release they have to fix what is causing the review scores to plummet post release, even by long term alpha players posting a bad release review.  Sure they got their money worth, but it says something they warn others not to spend their money. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:31:01 PM by yarnevk »

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:25:29 PM »

the iron tools/weapons overall seem to trump all until diamond.. They are even better than gold, due to the speed..
That is because the vocal minority on the forum got their way that iron makes better tools than gold, completely ignoring the fact that the tools was in fact gold plated steel that should have had more durability in a high oxygen world, and nothing to do with following Minecraft tiers.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 12:29:21 AM »

I haven't downloaded my special edition of Skyrim yet because I know a few big mods I couldn't live without were missing..............but in the last few days , sitting here trying to compact down all my thoughts on all that is so very wrong with the new build system(in a building game no less) without a huge wall of text, that nobody may even notice(like no one noticed this thread is in the wrong place)

I think to myself do I bother?????? spend hours trying to pled my case on how I think things could be fixed, with no idea if anyone is listening and if they are, will they even do anything?, or do I just go ahead push the delete button to recover the HD space for my copy of Skyrim SE(I got my early access moneys worth, no big loss really)

I guess i'll wait for February's big update and see if while redoing all  animal models so we can ride them(which adds very little to nothing to overall gameplay) do they also fix all the collision and hit detection problems in those same models which the combat system completely relies on to function properly, much less tweak to make better........... If not I'll have to expect they are just putting out the bare minimum to mark off a check box for a promised feature or selling point feature list, but don't really care about or know how to make the game a quality product people want to buy.........

I think they can still fix the whole minecraft tier thing even broken up and disjointed as it is now with very little effort(question is do they?) They  can easily make the 4 lower tier items into 2 distinct  tiers with 2 items in each tier but filling different rolls or play style and let the player choose their path or class so to speak .......... tier one swords would be wood and stone both would be the same overall DPS but the wood would apply it at low damage high swing speed and the stone would be high damage with slow speed, the way they are now there is to little between them and the stone feels worse than the wood(or not much better depending on the player's play style).

when you get to chen the bronze and the iron could both be tier 2 but follow the same pattern but not be at opposite extremes and positioned closer together.

the steel sword could be the only tier 3 sword but have it's slightly higher overall damage and middle of the road swing speed, since it's the only tier 3 and there is nothing to compare it too, who cares whats stats it has.......

with tier 4 (silver and gold swords only ones done right the way it is now)you could follow the tier 2 pattern different but not extremes and at tier 5 (diamond and energy sword) back to tier one pattern extreme ends and filling different rolls/play styles......

balance that against the greatswords and daggers and you have alot of ways to play(or reasons to try new ways). If the same was done with the armors and other gear in the game you would find different players liking different gear combos from other players, you know like any good (or decent ) RPG........