Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Red text in Replicator unreadable.[marked]  (Read 195 times)

Iron Newt

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Red text in Replicator unreadable.[marked]
« on: January 08, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »

I'll prefix with the fact I am effected by blue/red colour blindness to some extent & this is a bit of a heads up.

I'm having problems reading the red text in the Replicator window. Even when looking very closely it's almost impossible to see the difference between all numbers except 1, 7 & 3 as the luminosity difference between the blue & the red isn't large enough to give me any sort of contrast. I've tried with fix blurry font, but that doesn't help (as I expected the font isn't blurry). All the other text in the game is fine.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:42:55 AM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Red text in Replicator unreadable.[marked]
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:43:13 AM »

Could you take a pic to show this?

Iron Newt

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33:16 PM »

Here's a screen shot, do you want an actual photo?

I think the problem is not the rendering of the numbers but rather my perception of them.

EDIT: Worth mentioning if I rotate red in that image 30 degrees to green I can read it just fine.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:49:02 PM by Iron Newt »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:59:31 AM »

Thanks for the pic. We'd have a fix asa our programmer has some extra time for it.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »

There are different versions color blindness, solving it for one persons complaint will actually make it worse for another.

The way to make it readable for everyone is to make sure the text is contrasting even when the image is converted to greyscale.  The issue here is that the red is actually darker than the blue so it it not readable.  Adding more green to turn it orange or pink is making it have more greyscale contrast.

You are still left with colors being used as information, rather than using symbols.  Adding a green checkmark or red cross would better indicate if you have enough or not, because even if one cannot see green or red, you could still see the symbol.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 06:01:22 PM by yarnevk »

Iron Newt

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »

There are different versions color blindness, solving it for one persons complaint will actually make it worse for another.

The way to make it readable for everyone is to make sure the text is contrasting even when the image is converted to greyscale.  The issue here is that the red is actually darker than the blue so it it not readable.
I completely agree, my point about rotating the colours was to emphasise it wasn't an image sharpness issue but rather an issue with the luminosity contrast eg. there is none it's all on colour contrast. Dark on light or light on dark isn't an issue I simply see the text as a faint darker patch. As the blue seems to be mid-brightness one might suggest a very dark red. That way red for me it would be dark for not OK & light for OK.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »

black on grey is the worst contrast for reading, but that is what this red on that blue would be.   Easiest test is to turn down your contrast and brightness, then it becomes completely unreadable because the red and blue crush to black, whereas the green text is still readable. 

They would need to reverse the red to be on a bright background, that blue is not bright enough.  But rather than varying backgrounds making it garish for the colorsighted, the use of symbology rather than word colors makes it readable for all.  The same applies to the reddening of icons to represent lost durability, it would be better to fade in an X overlay or use broken item art that everyone can read.

When you added green to make it orange you made the red brighter.    The best test of it being readable is converting the image to greyscale.  This is not an accurate simulation of various color blindness, but good enough.   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:53:15 PM by yarnevk »

Iron Newt

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 09:33:32 AM »

Black or dark red gives a significant contrast increase over the current interface. I did a quick line down the image test and the dark red was much clearer to me & another person, without any colourblindness, than the current red.