Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Video Devlog 01  (Read 862 times)

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Video Devlog 01
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Video Devlog 01
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 09:41:41 PM »

This made my day. I love you guys ^_^

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:16:07 AM »

This is absolutely amazing.  I wish Xu the best of luck on leading the team. 

While I know Zifei has fluent in both english and chinese, part of me asks how good is Xu at it.   Puzzle games are a more difficult and niche genre to sell too.  The biggest thing is that the most successful puzzle games do one of three things ((Usually at least 2.))

1) The puzzle has a very unique and different mechanic behind it that serves as a theme through out the whole.   Some games that come to mind like this is the Shift Series ((flash game)), Portal series, and Scribblenaughts ((You drew your own solutions.))

2) A unique story element that has a secret amount of depth and symbolism to it.

3) The puzzles are met with a cast of unique, fun, and well developed characters.  For this, some games that rush to mind is Catherine and the Portal Series again.

Difficulty is only the same challenge that all puzzle games have.   Some are too hard, some are far too easy.  However, the biggest trick here is that is the difficulty fun and challenging, or just aggrevating?   Some puzzle games can be insanely hard but aren't aggrevating as the mechanics are very clear and concise.  The flash game Shift is a great example here.   Other puzzle games however, require a certain flawless timing that is more aggrevating than fun...

When I see Xu's new team working on the Pre-Alpha Demo to prepare to determine how well they can make the gameplay I have to ask if they will capture the first part.   Will they be able to find a way to create a Unique and innovative mechanic that will make the game stand out.   Even if the characters weren't amazing, the portal games would still do well due to how well the puzzles were made around the mechanics presented.  Pathea has already shown their ability to come out with games with unique content in Planet Explorers.  Because of their track record I'll give Xu the benefit of the doubt and he does seem very confident on what he wants to make which only further encourages me.

The second point is one that is a bit trickier to catch.   There are a few puzzle games which do capture this, however outside of some moments of Catherine, I can't think of much for examples.  Honestly I find adventure or RPG's tend to catch this better with Shadows of Colossus, Undertale, or Okami capture it better.  This is a tough thing for puzzle games capture as it often does rely heavily on the third thing I point out, the story.

The game is going to fall into the realm of 3d Puzzle games.  Its clearly going to be story driven.   I wonder how will Xu's innovation will be able to sell the story.  I believe if there is going to be anything that will let Pathea sell this game well on steam, it will be the story.   Puzzle games on team usually sell well due to a good story more than just good mechanics.

On a side note, does this mean we will see another Pathea team making a Mouse Game?   Will Zifei be leading us into a mousehole in a few months?
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

TenLegs

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

I'm Xu, my English is not so good, I can do simple reading and writing.

To be honest, creating a puzzle game is a challenge for our team, a small team. Different mechanic, good story, our designer had discussed with me for a long time. Finally we decide to make a puzzle-stealth game. We had already tested a demo inside, and they felt good!

Now we are working on art design, sound design and level design, more levels. "A puzzle never designed twice" is our certain goal when the project started. We know the direction of our game, and we are working hard to finish it. Hope we can make an EA version in middle 2017, and hope you'll enjoy this game!

TenLegs

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

About story, we had already defined the outline of story, and I'm writing details recent days. I'm trying to create an unique experience for players, hope the story will make players feel and think.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 01:08:35 AM »

Thankyou Xu! It's nice to hear from you.

One thing I wanted to second, was Malus' statement here:
However, the biggest trick here is that is the difficulty fun and challenging, or just aggrevating?   

Hearing this "People died 80 times" actually sort of worries me. Challenges in puzzles games can take many forms, but there are two major types that come to mind. Ones that make you have to stop and look around, and have to think about what you're supposed to do. And then there's the aggravating ones that require precision timing and rely too much on player control, rather than wit.

Will it be more like Portal, which is what I'd consider the first one, or will it be more like the old metal gear games?

Maybe the demo would answer this question best though. I'm looking foward to seeing it :)

TenLegs

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 03:47:19 AM »

However, the biggest trick here is that is the difficulty fun and challenging, or just aggrevating?   

Hearing this "People died 80 times" actually sort of worries me.

Don't worry, Protoform is a puzzle game with stealth elements. Actually metal gear games give me inspiration, but Protoform is more like Portal. In final version, if you come up with correct ways you needn't die so many times, 2 times at most I guess.

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »

Hearing this "People died 80 times" actually sort of worries me.

Don't worry, Protoform is a puzzle game with stealth elements. Actually metal gear games give me inspiration, but Protoform is more like Portal. In final version, if you come up with correct ways you needn't die so many times, 2 times at most I guess.

I see.   I have another question.  Are your puzzles going to be focused on having One Solutions, or are they going to be designed around allowing more than one set in stone solution to reward players for creativity?
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

TenLegs

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 07:34:45 AM »

I see.   I have another question.  Are your puzzles going to be focused on having One Solutions, or are they going to be designed around allowing more than one set in stone solution to reward players for creativity?

One solution.

MirecU

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:23:31 PM »

:D Looking forward to the next episode of Developing Protoform. :D

So the Big Boss is Zifei? Are there other devs active on this forum in that dev log? (like Dorist or Katherine) I don't know your real names and I kinda want to know how the people that communicate with us here look like. :)

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:38:00 PM »

Some people are more camera shy than others...but yeah, most of us will show up in future videos.  :)