Is it that all the tabs in your multiplayer lobby (LAN, Internet, Recent) blank? Or you just can't see your server? What's system do you host the server on? And what's your client's OS?
Thanks for your reply. I went into the game to take screenshots to explain it to you, and the problem I was having before did not manifest again. For the record, I was not ever getting to the multiplayer lobby at all. My previous attempts went like this:
1) start the game and get to the main menu
2) select "Multiplayer" from the main menu.
3) get a mostly blank screen with three disks on it.
4) click one of the disks randomly, then click "Create" in the upper left.
5) Create a character.
6) Finish creating character and click "Enter" button on the character creation screen.
7) Game would immediately begin in the tutorial section, without ever showing me the multiplayer lobby.
I don't know what I did differently this time to resolve the issue, but thanks for asking questions so I tried again.
This time on step 7 it instead put me back to the character select screen (the one with the three disks) and after clicking on the character I had created, it took me to the lobby that I had never seen before. From here everything is obvious.
Client OS is Win7/64.