Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Stupid multiplayer question from idiot user[marked]  (Read 516 times)

wumpus

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Stupid multiplayer question from idiot user[marked]
« on: November 26, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »

Hi folks, I apologize for bothering you with this because it's probably something obvious.

I played Planet Explorers in one of the early alpha releases but not since then, and never in multiplayer.

I just rented a server from bluefangsolutions.com to try out the multiplayer side of planet explorers.

But when I start planet explorers and choose multiplayer, I never get the opportunity to specify which server I wish to play on.

I'm obviously missing something simple. Please explain to me as if I was a child, how do I tell planet explorers which server to connect to?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:23:03 AM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid multiplayer question from idiot user[marked]
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 05:30:26 AM »

Is it that all the tabs in your multiplayer lobby (LAN, Internet, Recent) blank? Or you just can't see your server? What's system do you host the server on? And what's your client's OS?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:32:59 AM by Dorist1 »

wumpus

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 11:39:16 AM »

Is it that all the tabs in your multiplayer lobby (LAN, Internet, Recent) blank? Or you just can't see your server? What's system do you host the server on? And what's your client's OS?
Thanks for your reply. I went into the game to take screenshots to explain it to you, and the problem I was having before did not manifest again. For the record, I was not ever getting to the multiplayer lobby at all. My previous attempts went like this:

1) start the game and get to the main menu
2) select "Multiplayer" from the main menu.
3) get a mostly blank screen with three disks on it.
4) click one of the disks randomly, then click "Create" in the upper left.
5) Create a character.
6) Finish creating character and click "Enter" button on the character creation screen.
7) Game would immediately begin in the tutorial section, without ever showing me the multiplayer lobby.

I don't know what I did differently this time to resolve the issue, but thanks for asking questions so I tried again. :) This time on step 7 it instead put me back to the character select screen (the one with the three disks) and after clicking on the character I had created, it took me to the lobby that I had never seen before. From here everything is obvious.

Client OS is Win7/64.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 06:15:03 AM »

This is because you started a game for the first time. For first time starters, you will always enter the tutorial first, and then it will drop you into a singleplayer game.
You will need to exit the game and then re-enter multiplayer in order to access the lobby.

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 07:11:31 AM »

We'll check what's the cause though.