Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Multiplayer colonies.[marked]  (Read 1051 times)

ArmitageShanks

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
    • Gamer Shanksies YouTube channel
Multiplayer colonies.[marked]
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »

Hi guys. Been playing on one of the official servers and been having fun. Recently started a colony and wondering how to get another human player(s) to join my colony. Is this even possible or are colonies only for NPC's and one human player.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:27:04 AM by Dorist1 »

megabilou

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer colonies.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »

You can join a colony using teleport.

Open map "M"
click the colony and click the button to teleport (costs credits)

ArmitageShanks

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
    • Gamer Shanksies YouTube channel
Re: Multiplayer colonies.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:45:34 PM »

Oooooh. Nice. Going to try it now.

Just before I do, can you share the assembly core with someone else that you have teamed up with?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 06:41:40 PM by ArmitageShanks »

megabilou

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer colonies.[marked]
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »

I believe it it automatically shared.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »

In all co-op modes (story, and adventure), there can only be one colony, and everyone is automatically teamed.
In vs mode, there is a set amount of teams when the server is created, and each team can have their own colony. You choose which team to be on before entering the server.
In Survival mode, everyone can create their own colony, and no one is teamed. You can create a team in survival mode, but it is pointless, because you do not share the colony with each other. Only the creator of the colony can access the machines.

Erfin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:38:04 AM »

What to do if the server is cooperative mode connect the player to the pest and break down?

Erfin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »

My training base is destroyed >:(

Whose is this sign and what it means? (I'm from Russia)
]

Erfin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »

brokenlogin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »

In Survival mode, everyone can create their own colony, and no one is teamed. You can create a team in survival mode, but it is pointless, because you do not share the colony with each other. Only the creator of the colony can access the machines.
Is this currently considered an issue to be fixed or intended behavior?  It would be great to be able to share colony buildings with team members in survival mode. 

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:01:13 AM »

This is not planned now, for we've once tried to design the way as you said, but it'll cause a lot of other problems and exceptions in game. Like, what if both of the players have their own colony and they want to be in one team? That why we designed it this way.

brokenlogin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 06:12:13 PM »

Like, what if both of the players have their own colony and they want to be in one team?

I would expect that either player could use the resources of either colony and that would be the advantage of federating colonies.  They would have to respect such access to maintain such a partnership.  Perhaps even a limited functionality like only being able to repair ISOs at an allied colony would make an alliance feel good.  Ideally of course, it would be nice if players could set the terms of a federation with a checkbox list such as:

Share raw materials
Share tools
Repair ISO
Share ISO
Modify Colony Structures
Modify Colonist Jobs

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »

I haven't done MP survival, I'm in a coop adventure right now, but I think MP survival is where I want to be.  As far as sharing/alliance, you could simply have a "share box" in your colony for other people to access, and connect with rail so it is easy to get to each other to see what is "in store."  If you don't want to travel back to your colony, put whatever you want repaired into a "repair box" next to the machine and let the owner repair it for you while you wait  (assuming you are going out adventuring together) -- only one person can use it at a time anyway.  Those permanent iron boxes would be good for this.  You may want to have several boxes near your rail station for passing visitors to check out... a "gift shop" LoL.  If you want to gift valuable items, wait until you are there together to pass it to them.

Use your imagination.  Cooperation is what you do, not a piece of computer code.

I think the most interesting environment would be where people are building and doing their own thing, so I am looking forward to seeing that type of server, and connecting to each other's colonies.  I will finish the colony I am building on the coop server... I don't want to leave something half-done, but other people can take over and redecorate.  Most of the friends I am making will likely follow.  I don't see a lot of point in a server with only one colony... will someone be offended if someone else starts making changes, or changes the location altogether?  It seems inevitable.

I am wondering... are there multiple starting points on an MP survival server?  I hate to think that all of the PC colonies are clumped together by the colony quest.  It is true that you can pick it up again and carry it anywhere once the quest is finished.

One thing though... do new NPCs show up on the map after the old ones are picked up by a colony?  That would be bad for any new colonies if there are no colonists left.  Here is something that is a real alliance activity... trading colonists so that you can share and train skills on a new set of people.  Talk to a colonist, and at the same time the other person releases from their colony, so that you can invite them to join yours before they run away.  This is a piece of coding that might need to be checked and updated... to have the new option appear when they are released while they are still talking to another player... or have the AI make the NPC stand still for 10-15 seconds before running away, so that a different player can invite them.

Also, can you team up to do dungeons in survival?  I know that you can do this in Co-op... you just end up in the same instance together.  If you enter a dungeon in Survival, is there only one instance until you leave the dungeon, or is a different instance created for everyone who tries to enter?

EDIT: to answer my own questions: 
1) you can team up in survival from the console menu (~) Online: Information, click on a name and invite to join a team.
2) new NPCs do seem to show up on the map... probably after each server reset.

What I would like to see:  ability to gift a colonist to another player (so they can use the skills to train their own colonists).  Currently if you release a trained colonist in hopes of letting someone else use it, they seem to disappear much too quickly to be picked up by someone else.  They do not seem to end up back at their start point, so where they end up is anyone's guess.  I presume that they are deleted entirely and replace by new NPCs.

3) there does not seem to be a quest line for creating a colony (or working with the skill tree), like in other modes... you simply have to know what you are doing.  There are a lot of new people who pick MP Survival to start, and so there is a lot of "helping with the basics" that needs to be done.
4) the Iron Box cannot be picked up once it is placed in MP Survival (and possibly not in MP Coop either).  This is a bug.  The box is a handy tool for sharing items with other players, but if you can't pick it up the world will become littered with left-over boxes.  I don't care if it is destroyed when you pick it up (like the description says)... I just don't want to leave trash behind or have something interfere with another player's ability to build in that spot.  FYI, you can enclose the Iron Box in blocks and still access it, so it can also be a secret stash in your colony, that can be used to share Raw Materials and share Tools as per the OP's request.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:58:15 PM by Omidawn »

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Just to confirm: If you do not use the console to join a team in survival, do you join a team by just teleporting to the colony of the player you want to join?

Also, I am not too bothered that teammates cannot access each other's colony infrastructure in survival. What I am more concerned about is vehicle sharing, can a teammate enter your vehicle as a passenger? Normally you cannot do this in survival. Can you also connect your colony with a teammate's via monorail?

The thing is, we want to build separate colonies and the survival game mode is the only one that allows this but, we still want to travel together in a single vehicle or share resources from time to time, or visit each other's colonies without getting shot at by turrets and colony soldiers.

EDIT: Sharing resources and items is not a problem, we just drop it and let the other player pick it up.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:20:56 PM by Dragon »

Dragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »

Nevermind, I asked a friend to join so we can test it.

Just invite/join teams via the console's online menu, as Omidawn said. You can then share vehicles and I believe a monorail connection should be no problem either. You can also see each other on the map.