Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Can we get an update on dedicated server configuration?[marked]  (Read 468 times)

khronoe

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Can we get an update on dedicated server configuration?[marked]
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:54:41 AM »

I'm running the dedicated server client on a Windows Server 2012 R2 server and have tried so many different combinations of configurations based on the information that I've seen in the forums here but we still cannot get a connection from the outside.  I can see the server in the server list but it cannot be joined; however, I can join it from LAN with no issues.

I am currently forwarding ports 8800-8815 TCP, 9900-9915 UDP and 8888-8903 TCP to the dedicated server.  When we attempt to join it, we get a prompt for a password but the connection fails.  I have also tried setting it up with the proxy option set to true and that doesn't help.

Any advice?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:07:05 AM by Dorist1 »

BenevolentManiac

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get an update on dedicated server configuration?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »

There is a disappointingly small amount of information about running a dedicated server, and most of it is 1 or 2 years old at this point. 

I just set up a dedicated server on a new Server 2016 box I set up.  The only port forwarding that needs to be done is the UDP 9900-9915.

As for the Windows firewall, I made the exceptions for the same ports - Allow UDP 9900-9915.  I also noticed, after running netstat, that the PEServer is listening on some other ports in the high UDP range, so I went ahead and used the basic firewall settings to "Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and add the PE_Server.exe to the list.  I suppose, if all else fails, turn off the Windows Firewall while you are troubleshooting.

Once this was done, I ran the "StartServer" shortcut, waited a few minutes and my server showed up in the public listing.

As for the config file, I'm still not sure on what all of the settings do, leave most of these settings alone:

LobbyIP:  Leave this alone
LobbyPort:  Leave this alone
ProxyIP:  Leave this alone
ProxyPort:  Leave this alone
TeamNum: This apparently allows you to have multiple "parties" for PvP
NumPerTeam:  How many people in each party
GameMode:  The info here is still up to date so 0 = story (which is what I'm using), 1-adventure, 2-build, and 3... custom? (no clue)
GameType:  I'm using 0 for co-op.  We all automatically show up on the map and are in the same party.  1-VS and 2-Survival - I haven't been able to find much description on these
MonstersYes:  I left this default at true
ServerName:  This is the name that shows up in the public Lobby
MapName:  This can be whatever you want - it's the name the server uses for the save file I believe
MapSeed:  patheamaria - apparently the only random seed, however, this did nothing in story mode, it just loaded the story map
TerrainType:  Couldn't find a good description on what this really does
ClimateType:  Again, no documentation for what this really does
VegetationType:  More mystery
MasterRoleName:  I left this at default, as, again, there's no description of what this does
Password:  YAY!  Finally one that's self explanatory!
PublicServer:  true - if you want it to show up in the public Lobby
Proxy:  false
UseSkillTree:  false - no clue what this is
DropDeadPercent:  How much stuff, or maybe just how much currency you drop on death?
UnlimitedRes:  false - I think if this is set to "true" you can resurrect yourself without using the res item.

None of these map settings do anything in story mode:

TerrainHeight: 512 - I assume sets the limit to how high you can fly
MapSize: 2 - 2 what?  I have no idea what the limits are
RiverDensity:  1 - I guess you can have really viscous rivers if you want :P I'm sure it's how many rivers are on the map
RiverWidth:  1 - fat rivers - no clue what the max number can be
PlainHeight:  20 - I guess this is the default height above sea level?
Flatness:  25  - how... flat the ground is?
BridgeMaxHeight:  100 - no idea
AICount:  3 - not sure what this does - what does this number actually signify?  I see far more than 3 AI NPCs... maybe it refers to the number of NPCs you can have follow you
ScriptsAvailable:  true - yeah, sure... whatever.

It would be nice to have an official answer for some of this stuff.  Like, what the hell does 25 "Flatness" signify?  What is a MapSize of "2"?  2 Miles?  2 Parsecs?!  In any case, hopefully this helps out.  It had given me some frustration too.

khronoe

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 03:00:11 PM »

So were you able to actually join your server from the server listings?  Mine shows up but we can't join it.  Interesting that you only have ports 9900-9915 forwarded and it's working that way, at least according to everything that I've read thus far.  I do have the firewall turned off on the server while I'm troubleshooting this but that's not helped either unfortunately.

khronoe

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 12:11:24 AM »

I finally got it working.  The ONLY port I have forwarded right now is 9900 UDP but I had to configure the server as Proxy to allow my friends from the outside to connect.  It works but gets a tad laggy at times.

BenevolentManiac

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Can we get an update on dedicated server configuration?[marked]
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 01:25:48 PM »

That's odd - I didn't have to set the proxy settings at all and, I've have 5 people playing without any issues.  All I've got forwarded on my router is 9900-9915.  The only other thing I can think of are the Windows Firewall rules.  I know you are able to connect via the LAN list, but, like I'd mentioned before, I saw all kinds of other ports that PE_Server.exe was using, so I gave that executable free reign through the firewall. 

But, hey - you got people in!  Maybe the random lagginess is just internet based?  I've also noticed that, for long periods of time, PE_Server.exe uses a lot of CPU... like... all of it.  For about 8 hours the other day, it was using 100% of the 10 cores given to my virtual machine... no clue what it was doing, but I'd guess there'd have to have been some lagginess from this.  Anyways, enjoy the game, now that you've got people in there!

khronoe

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 07:17:54 PM »

I've seen a lot of other post from others having to do the same thing for whatever reason, they could see the server but no one could join unless they set it as a proxy and they reported the same laggy behavior.  I considered running this on a VM but am just letting it run on the metal so I know that's not the issue.  One other thing i considered is that this machine has six NICs I was trying to bind the traffic to go to the sixth one by forwarding those ports to it's IP address.  In the end, I just forwarded the ports to the primary NIC and I think that might have been what resolved the issue for me but I'm not sure.  I could test it again later but for now it's working and I don't want to break it again haha.

brokenlogin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 02:30:28 AM »

I put some more descriptive information about the ServerConfiguration.conf here: http://board.pathea.net/index.php?topic=7951.msg54185#msg54185

I really wish we could start a server with something like:
Code: [Select]
PE_Server.x86_64 myserverconfig.conf
with all settings in our custom server config.