Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Random container Loot tables. Organizing loot discovery.[marked]  (Read 606 times)

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Random container Loot tables. Organizing loot discovery.[marked]
« on: November 09, 2016, 05:25:30 AM »

These need to be better organized. I really should not be pulling alluminum type 02 chest armor, and assembly cores out of tree stumps.  These should be limited to lower quality items and scripts, or materials only.

This could also coincide with scripts being way too random, resulting in you having recipes for endgame armor and tools before you have a copper pickaxe.. I have some suggestions regarding this.

Random Surface Containers should not contain high tier loot
As mentioned above, these should be restricted to a low end loot table. This means you'll find scripts for leather armors, clothing, copper weapons and tools, and maybe some low tier minerals and materials. You should never find colony machines and higher end weapons, tools or armors. This includes the scripts for them.

Different styles of loot container, for higher tier items.
Yes, i know that loot containers have different models for them, but this isn't what I mean. I mean have different levels of containers located in different areas of the game. For example, you could have underwater containers that may contain medium range loot table items. It would be a little more difficult to find and locate these. These would contain your mid level range items like Iron and gold tools, weapons and armors.

A higher tier loot container could be something like containers hidden away in caverns or tunnels. Give some use to those places!

These are ofcourse just some ideas..

"Chance" applications to loot tables
I think an additional layer should be chance to find higher vs lower end scripts and items. This is always required in these cases, because a strict dice roll with even chances for all items will result in too much chaos.. If you want to add the type02+ armors and weapons and their scripts, make them rarer and more rewarding to find than as difficult as a copper shovel!

If I open (surface) containers until I receive 30 shovels, I should end up with something like 18 wooden shovels, 7 stone shovels, 4 copper shovels, and 1 iron shovel. (maybe even 1 gold shovel in there as a lucky loot)

Overall, right now, the tables are not only completely equally random it seems, but it's so easy to get some of the best weapons and armors in the game just running around for 30 minutes doing nothing but picking up trash. No work anywhere else needed... I understand alternatives, but there needs to be control. Loot tables are a necessity to balancing this out, and this would also solve the script finding problem.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 12:47:48 PM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Random container Loot tables. Organizing loot discovery.[marked]
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »

We'll see if it can be tweaked.

Flar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:33 PM »

The point that Lumi made about loot tables was also made, by me, indirectly in a post on the Steam forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/237870/discussions/0/152391995409760814/
Post#9.

After 3 weeks I'm still in search of the Factory Replicator having run over 30 dungeons now - including about four lvl8s and 3 lvl9s - and while I now have the Enhance machine and several types of colony turret scripts, I have no Replicator and thus cannot start my colony.  I need that machine to create defenses and still can't find the script.  I've uncovered 4 other NPC towns, including cross-map, and no one sells it.  I did find one NPC 'town' that had a single structure and one NPC near map center (20x20 map).  She doesn't sell anything.

I noticed that Lumi's post and the reply was on Nov. 9th and am curious about the current status 5-½ weeks later.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »

You don't need a factory replicator in order to start your colony, but the point does still stand... It's very difficult to goal for things you're looking for. Relying strictly on luck to obtain the things you need is a very harsh layout for these things, and the chaos makes it impossible to plan.. The game ends up dragging you along in the direction of it's choosing, rather than you choosing which way to progress...

I think this is something that's very important that needs to be addressed. Make it easier for the players to predict what they will be getting. Whether that be biome, dungeon levels, town levels, or random container loot drops. The world resources like plants and trees are divided into biomes, so players know that if they are looking for a certain ingredient, whether it be from plants or trees, they can head out somewhere specific to obtain them. This isn't the case with scripts. They are just too randomized and difficult to locate.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »

I got a jeep from the end chamber of a lvl2 dungeon, even though I have five towns with no more than bronze tools, iron armor and leather clothes.  I cannot even make sausages because I have no script even though the NPCs I kill have them.  It is logical that I should have found a sausage script by now if others have sausages without having to fill in the map.

Dungeons can have leveled loot lists to since they are already leveled dungeons.  Surface loot could be based on radial distance from town merchant level as well as dungeon level, as they already seem to be leveled radially from spawn town.  As OP suggested drops could be above level, but made much more rare than commons at your level.

If skill XP system was made the default and the RNG would be tied to surrounding merchant and dungeon levels then you would have both XP and exploration as tech level gates.  This would help mitigate the lucky rares from being overly OP. While I am glad they finally took my suggestion of putting ISOs into the world for those who are not creative enough to make their own, at least with skill XP I had to choose to level driving to use the jeep at the expense of more useful survival skills this early in the game.  I am far from being able to put mounted weapons on it, so it is not that OP, and once it gets damaged it is a junker I cannot make a new one.

So while getting high level loot is self limiting with skill XP system, the issue is they are replacing low level loots necessary for survival.   So leveled lists are needed to make it more likely you get what you need when you need it, unlikely to get what you are not ready for, without making it guaranteed you get what you always want.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:47:21 PM by yarnevk »