News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Gardens  (Read 299 times)

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Gardens
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »

I would like to be able to make "garden" areas or "planters" where you could grow native (and earth) plants for decorative value, which could only be "harvested" by the player and wouldn't die if you just leave it as a decoration (assuming it needed to be cultivated).  Trees and native plants should be a renewable/plant-able resource in any dirt patch (not farm) but I would be happy with planters.   I would want to keep the planters small, regardless of the size of the plant, so that you can make nice clusters of plants.  If you make the planter place-able just below the surface of terrain, then you could create very interesting natural-looking landscapes as well as terraced gardens for your colonies.  Since you can place a variety of terrain, this would provide a much more interesting variety of landscape designs than having just object decorations.  I know that rendering plants is not free for the processor, so if there needs to be a limit to the number of planters in the colony, that's fine.  You can use free camera mode to see underground, if you need to pick up or re-position them.

Eventually, I would also like to see water sources/fountains made available for gardens, but I know that water is extremely hazardous right now as a terrain feature. (You cannot remove water by filling it in, once it is breached -- I found that out trying to mine at a beach.)  Your fountain could become a new lake, if you're not careful.  LoL.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Gardens
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 03:31:10 AM »

This would be lovely. For the longest time, i've wanted to plant trees on the sides of my roads inside my colony, and could in theory do this by just manually planting them normally, but the problem is that farmers tend to not respect this placing. "I'm just doing my job ma'am!" .. but..! :(

There are, however, already plant objects that you can place wherever. The only problem with them is that they are not animated, and I'd love to have some glowing plants planted throughout my colony for aesthetic purposes.

bandhdistrib

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:44:13 AM »

I completely agree! I know you can plant the Acai Palm as a decoration but I haven't bothered due to the farmers just doing their job. It would be nice having access to planting many of the small to medium trees without worrying about farmers harvesting them.

I also like the idea of fountains/decorative water. I'd also like to see a way of removing water completely from a small area, such as a mineshaft where the water seems to just be saturating the dirt/sand.

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 04:36:18 PM »

maybe the devs could give us a option to manually planet a plant like in famring but give us a key tha swaps the plant form havestable to non or only Player harvestable. That way NPC's won't touch it but do their famring job on the farms. of course the palyer needs to be quick to plant them before a random npc plants seeds at the fertiled location.

or allow non fertiled planting which automatically makes plants non famring plants and just decorative ones.

there would surely be a few possiblities to implement this.