Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Better access to skill tree[marked]  (Read 668 times)

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Better access to skill tree[marked]
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »

A lot of people probably already know to use Alt-T to access the skill tree in Adventure Mode, but as someone who was new to it and wanted to experience the "leveling up" aspect, it was very frustrating for me to not know how to find it.  I am glad that there is a hot key for it, but I think it would help a lot if there were an actual menu option to get to it also.  Either an addition to the "phone" menu or directly on the ~ menu would be great.  After I searched the forum and found someone who posted how to get to it, I was able to thoroughly enjoy the game mode (and not get killed by any scrub that attacked).  I actually like it so much now, that I wish there were an option for it in story mode.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:47:04 AM by Dorist1 »

ChebMaster

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Better access to skill tree[marked]
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:34:38 PM »

There IS a skill tree???  :o

Surely you jest, yes?  >:(

I am absolutely sure this feature is completely broken and doesn't work. I tried to start a single-player adventure game with skill tree enabled, but the "skills" tab in my character window was still empty, no buttons nor explanations of any kind. I found game unplayable (limited to only simplest wooden tools). I shrugged and deleted that world setup to remember to never try that again.

There is NO skill tree. Believe me I checked. I am playing this game for a long time, including adventure mode lately, but the skill tree newer was anything more than a checkbox in the world generation menu that breaks the generated world. Period.

ChunkHunter

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »

There *is* a skill tree - it's just not that obvious how to use it.
The skills label on your 'character sheet' doesn't appear to be used, however, if you look at the sklill tab (use <Alt-T> as mentioned above), you see the skills tree.
There in the top right you see what skill points you have ammassed, and you can then use the '+' on the various skill icons in the various tabs to increase that particular skill.

When you select to use the skills tree, you can't make items or use them if their skill level (shown on the item's tooltip in yellow) is above the skill level mentioned on the tooltip on the relevant icon in the skill tree (and it's not always obvious to me which is relevant!).

This means that at the beginning of the game you can only use (and make) the simplest of wooden tools.

Having played an adventure session with this feature enabled, I personally feel that it is more suited to a co-operative multi-player game than to a single-player game.

I don't think I'll try using it again until I'm very much more proficient in the adventure mode (if at all).

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:12:17 AM »

Huh? you mean like this?

If so, this has always been there.

ChebMaster

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 12:43:17 AM »

:o

[FACEPALM TIMES TWENTY]  :-[

I was so expecting to find skills button or something in the character screen (there is a special area after all, and it looks broken/ not implemented) that I never noticed that line  :(

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »

LoL, I thought they added that in response to my post.  I was so happy.  In any case, I didn't even think to look there because I was so familiar with story mode, and the command list doesn't have that option in story mode.  I could have sworn I looked for it before posting though.

Skill tree does work very well, once you figure it out.