Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: How do you... - Alexander  (Read 988 times)

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
How do you... - Alexander
« on: September 27, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

How do you...

1) Screenshot (I tried F12, Print screen, F10, tried to open up Steam Overlay to take a screenshot, none of them worked).
2) How do you export? (I did it before, but now it keeps saying "You can't export outside of the game!" Wait what? I have to be in the game to export, what do you mean I'm not in the game?).

3) My sword is only 340, how do I go to 400/500? Any tips? I haven't seen one, but some guy was talking about it, and made it sound very easy to do(?).
4) How do you move/copy/paste Selection?
5) I heard copy paste isn't available, why's that...?

P.S. Still trying to find other methods to take a screenshot.

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: How do you... - Alexander
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 10:14:47 AM »

Oh, here's my beauty-

Took a while to patch it together to produce that image because there's no screenshot function and I had to do it some other way I must not speak about >_>;'...

Things to do to it:

a. Figure out if I want to release to public.
b. Push it to 400-500 dmg.
c. Alter and adjust to perfect emissions, specular, and bumps all throughout design.
d. Make the length all the way full (which will probably increase damage as well, and for aesthetic reasons).

What I already did:

a. Some of the textures are hand made - when model is full and done, I intend to make ALL Textures done 100% by me.
b. Hit 300+, THIS IS... I'm kidding ;'D.
c. "Sword Breaker" designs all around the weapon, including; Hilt, edge (front, and top),
d. This is the "Fifth" edition, even though there was like 30 different designs/paths (Not kidding), it's called fifth edition cause there's 5 Blades ;').

c. Have added sound effects through Modifications. I'm kidding, just wanted this list to be longer than to-do list ;'/

Enjoy!

P.S. Those black lines come from the top of the editor page where it says "Sword" or something like that, also, I kept the same angle and just used S and Q to go up and down, however I think because of ANGLE of VIEW rather than where it's facing is what caused some distortions (You can see it via the picture if you pay attention, I tried to mask some to the best of my ability).

Oh, and feel free to criticize me- I'd like feedback for sure; improvement is always an option for me ;'D.

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 12:52:03 AM »

Bump - I searched for "How to move selection" but it doesn't work, cause some of my words were "Less than 4" I think it had said, in characters; And some of the others, again can't find.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »

How do you...

1) Screenshot (I tried F12, Print screen, F10, tried to open up Steam Overlay to take a screenshot, none of them worked).
2) How do you export? (I did it before, but now it keeps saying "You can't export outside of the game!" Wait what? I have to be in the game to export, what do you mean I'm not in the game?).

3) My sword is only 340, how do I go to 400/500? Any tips? I haven't seen one, but some guy was talking about it, and made it sound very easy to do(?).
4) How do you move/copy/paste Selection?
5) I heard copy paste isn't available, why's that...?

P.S. Still trying to find other methods to take a screenshot.

1. Screenshot for steam is by default F12. Considering your other information, it sounds like you had an issue with PE launching through steam, as in, steam crashed, or otherwise had some kind of mounting error... How is it that you're launching PE? I'm not sure i can troubleshoot it, but it does sound like a steam issue.

2. I've never seen that error before.. It may related to the issue in 1, actually, the same reason you can't take screenshots. The steam overlay screwed up somehow.

3. 400 dmg is the hard-cap. You can't get higher than that, and the only way to get that high is to exploit the crap out of the system... I'm not going to go into detail about how that's done though.

4. You cannot move/copy/paste voxels. You can move parts though. There is a trick that people came up with using the mirror tool to simulate the re-placing of voxels, but it may take some digging to find...

5. You heard right. Copy/paste voxels isn't available. Why that is, the devs havn't really explained. It may even be something they add later, but right now, it's not known whether it's planned, or if it's decided it's not going to be a thing and why.

Lastly, that's a really interesting sword! Nicely made. I love the little gems all over it!
I was about to suggest making use of the voxel volume slider to sharpen/round the flat/polygonal parts on the hilt and handle, but honestly, that may be intentional. If it's not intentional, then I like it regardless, because it gives a very crystal-formy look. Very pretty :)

mknelson

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »

Error: 2) How do you export? (I did it before, but now it keeps saying "You can't export outside of the game!" Wait what? I have to be in the game to export, what do you mean I'm not in the game?).

I've seen that if you're using the creation system from the main menu rather than in one of the game modes - Adventure/Story/Build

To put it another way: you need to have a character loaded with inventory for the item to be exported to.

Luninaire: 4. You cannot move/copy/paste voxels. You can move parts though. There is a trick that people came up with using the mirror tool to simulate the re-placing of voxels, but it may take some digging to find...

That hasn't worked for over a year. I'm not sure why they took it out - the mirror technique was very useful for moving voxels or (what I liked to do) building one half of a hollow vehicle and then using the mirror to create the other side.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 08:23:55 PM by mknelson »

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »

I've never been good with screenshots, but occasionally I take one by mistake.  LoL.

When in-game you can use the enhancer to increase the damage of your weapons.  You can also increase damage for your colonists by training them in combat skills.  My followers generally do over 500 damage with a decent weapon.  Since the player can't train skills, you are limited by what you can get from the Enhancer.  generally a weapon (or armor) will enhance by 10% on the first enhance, 5% on the second, and so on.  It doesn't really pay to enhance more then 2-3 times, but you may if you want... it's just the cost of the original for each enhancement.

Exporting is done from the creation editor INTO the game, not out of it.  If you want to share your ISOs, you have to upload them from the folder where they are stored, which is on a path somewhere under your user name.  You can do a name search for whatever you called it on your computer to find the path.

The only way to copy in the creation editor is to mirror into a reflection using the ADD function (as far as I know), but this messes up the original (adds a voxel to everything in that direction.  So, it takes some skill in maneuvering to get what you want in the right place.  There may be a way to do it without changing the original, but I haven't figured it out.  I'm still pretty novice.  I'd say, looking at your sword, that you are already better than I am.

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 02:37:07 AM »

I've never been good with screenshots, but occasionally I take one by mistake.  LoL.

When in-game you can use the enhancer to increase the damage of your weapons.  You can also increase damage for your colonists by training them in combat skills.  My followers generally do over 500 damage with a decent weapon.  Since the player can't train skills, you are limited by what you can get from the Enhancer.  generally a weapon (or armor) will enhance by 10% on the first enhance, 5% on the second, and so on.  It doesn't really pay to enhance more then 2-3 times, but you may if you want... it's just the cost of the original for each enhancement.

Exporting is done from the creation editor INTO the game, not out of it.  If you want to share your ISOs, you have to upload them from the folder where they are stored, which is on a path somewhere under your user name.  You can do a name search for whatever you called it on your computer to find the path.

The only way to copy in the creation editor is to mirror into a reflection using the ADD function (as far as I know), but this messes up the original (adds a voxel to everything in that direction.  So, it takes some skill in maneuvering to get what you want in the right place.  There may be a way to do it without changing the original, but I haven't figured it out.  I'm still pretty novice.  I'd say, looking at your sword, that you are already better than I am.

Thanks, what Luminare was saying was probably right - I have issues exporting FROM the creator, not in-game. And I was referring to base damage of the weapon (From creation) and not from ingame, but thank you though, once I start playing the game, I'll definately keep all your tips in mind; Much appreciated and sorry for not being clear what I was asking.

@Luminare; Thank you! It took a while and a lot of little details to increase the damage, I lost like 5 dmg for all the aesthetics; For the foamy looking thing, that's supposed to be Damascus steel design- Thought I'd reinvent and create Ceramic Damascus Steel ;'D (Ceramic steel ultimate form!!!@@@!@~!)

@Mknelson, do you happen to know where that mirroring thing is at, or a guide to it? I'd like to try to see if I can do it. I didn't know that Length also established damage, so I'd like to maximum length my weapon for additional damage basically.

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 02:46:18 AM »

3. 400 dmg is the hard-cap. You can't get higher than that, and the only way to get that high is to exploit the crap out of the system... I'm not going to go into detail about how that's done though....

Lastly, that's a really interesting sword! Nicely made. I love the little gems all over it!
I was about to suggest making use of the voxel volume slider to sharpen/round the flat/polygonal parts on the hilt and handle, but honestly, that may be intentional. If it's not intentional, then I like it regardless, because it gives a very crystal-formy look. Very pretty :)

I see, I know about the pixel storm thingy majig, I don't intend to do that ever. I'm very aesthetic based type person, so it would throw my whole thing off. I don't know where the Voxel volume slider is for those things aforementioned above, am I missing something?

I keep looking for it. And perhaps I am bugging out- from steam launch, and I'm unsure why. I'll try tomorrow when I'm free to try and run it through the site(?), if it's plausible; till then I'll make with my dues, and somehow replicate what I have upwards, altho it's going to be very hard to do.

Regarding the hilt, I actualy like that it's a bit squared, however I do want to learn how to smooth some of it. I tried to make the hilt a bit more towards realism/practicality towards being a sword breaker/blade catcher.

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:00 PM »

Thanks, what Luminare was saying was probably right - I have issues exporting FROM the creator, not in-game. And I was referring to base damage of the weapon (From creation) and not from ingame, but thank you though, once I start playing the game, I'll definately keep all your tips in mind; Much appreciated and sorry for not being clear what I was asking.

Actually, mknelson brings up a good point. Are you actually playing the game, as in have a character running around in the world, and open up the creation menu while playing the game? Or are you accessing the creation system from the main menu?

If you are currently in a game mode, such as adventure, story, or buildmode, then the error may be related to your steam issue. But if you've accessed the creation window from the main menu without actually being inside the game running around, then that would explain why you can't export. Because exporting is supposed to just use up the materials in your characters inventory, and add the item to your inventory. Naturally, if you are on the main menu instead of ingame, you have no character with an inventory that can do this. Exporting is ingame-live only.

As for the voxel volume slider, you need to use the selection tool and select one voxel. On the right, look for the two tabs labeled "Inspector" and "Statistics". The voxel volume is under the Inspector tab.

Just note that you can only use the slider on one voxel at a time, so it's rather time consuming. Also, depending on your design, making edges sharper may increase or even reduce your damage, so keep an eye on that.

I have to say, i'm actually impressed for what you have here. Many areas look like you've made use of the voxel volume slider, but maybe you've just spent a lot of time trial and erroring with the tool shapes to get the shapes you have.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 07:44:48 PM by Luminaire »

VirtuZz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 02:32:27 AM »

Actually, mknelson brings up a good point. Are you actually playing the game, as in have a character running around in the world, and open up the creation menu while playing the game? Or are you accessing the creation system from the main menu?

If you are currently in a game mode, such as adventure, story, or buildmode, then the error may be related to your steam issue. But if you've accessed the creation window from the main menu without actually being inside the game running around, then that would explain why you can't export. Because exporting is supposed to just use up the materials in your characters inventory, and add the item to your inventory. Naturally, if you are on the main menu instead of ingame, you have no character with an inventory that can do this. Exporting is ingame-live only.

As for the voxel volume slider, you need to use the selection tool and select one voxel. On the right, look for the two tabs labeled "Inspector" and "Statistics". The voxel volume is under the Inspector tab.

Just note that you can only use the slider on one voxel at a time, so it's rather time consuming. Also, depending on your design, making edges sharper may increase or even reduce your damage, so keep an eye on that.

I have to say, i'm actually impressed for what you have here. Many areas look like you've made use of the voxel volume slider, but maybe you've just spent a lot of time trial and erroring with the tool shapes to get the shapes you have.

Oh wow, are you saying all the hours I spent replicating certain shapes through length measurements has been for naught ;'C

Cause I've kept track of every voxel/square i've used, and duplicated it by memory (Example 2x15 ramp icon voxel to create spikes, etc). Deleting each and every individual "piece" off a sharp edge blade (To make the serrated look), etc? AWH man, there was easier ways ;'C!

Edit:

Like the handle, I did that slowly by removing every other "Edge" on the cylinder to create the handle effect - I then noticed it gave me a small amount of damage (As a reward besides the aesthetic reasons).

For the spikes, I'd dig 3-6 squares into the model, angle it perfectly, and then pull the "Angle/ramp shape voxel" from inside to out, usually 6-12 squares to make the spiked effect.

Things like that... Now I know I can do it faster.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:36:57 AM by VirtuZz »