Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Helicopter Gunship (Basic)  (Read 1401 times)

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Helicopter Gunship (Basic)
« on: September 14, 2016, 05:02:51 AM »

This was my second aircraft design -- the first didn't fly.  I have used this design and really liked the performance.  It is balanced in flight, has good visibility (lights up the terrain at night), good durability, good distance, and packs a punch (9 weapons).  The only thing I would change would be to add more rotors for better altitude (easy to add yourself -- the rotors are stacked).

Unfortunately, I don't have a small enough picture to post.  I hope you like it.

EDIT:  I think a lot of things have changed since I first built this.  I built another one in a new game, and the energy consumption was much much higher.  I will have to do a lighter design and use the Type 3 cells to get the same range and firepower (lasers) that I had before.  Back to the drawing board.  It will lose a lot of durability, but I think switching to steel and aluminum instead of iron will help compensate.  I'll post a new one when I have a better design.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 09:49:11 PM by Omidawn »

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Helicopter Gunship (Basic)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »

use soemthign like imgur or snaggy to uplaod pictures and link them here.

Omidawn

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: Helicopter Gunship (Basic)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »

I'm making a new post because I don't want this attachment to be confused with the other one.  I'm still working on a hollowed-out combat heli for better weight and performance.  FYI, aluminum is by far the best metal to use for aircraft that I have found.

This helicopter, that I call the Guppy Scout (because it looks like a guppy to me), is an upgrade to the template that comes with the game now.  It has 2 lasers (just in case), increased seating for those rescue missions, and much better handling.  It is perfectly balanced (0 kpm drift when idle, so very easy take-off and landing), much less fishtailing (i.e. smoother turns) and about 10x altitude (no more running into things) as well as 8 type 3 fuel cells for max range (to accommodate the much heavier weight).  It is aluminum for higher durability and weight, instead of wood.  It is more costly to make, obviously, but the original template helicopter is crazy hard to fly (I think the light weight is what causes the high spin/fishtailing), and is not really functional enough to keep -- this one is worth having in inventory.  There is minimal paint -- in fact I tried to strip off all of the paint that was on the original -- but there is still some pigment somewhere that I was not able to remove.  I think it slows down the build process too much to have to wait for pigment (they have recently made it much easier to get the dyes, so not really an issue now).

It is a very good utility helicopter, in my opinion.  FYI, if it gets damaged, always recycle instead of repair... you get more usable parts if you recycle, so it is cheaper to rebuild than repair.  I only repair enhanced items.