Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: How to design a non sinking heli[marked]  (Read 1044 times)

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
How to design a non sinking heli[marked]
« on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »

Ok

I kinda give it up now.

My problem evertime I design an aircraft or helicopter and want it go faster by adding airship thrusters I end with the problem that pressign forward does accelerate the ship(heli, yet it cannot hold height then, (no matter how many upwards rotors I add) it will then always start to slightly sink
Now I Can surely make a thruster pointing slightly downwards so the vehicle keeps level when steering forward, but this suddenly stops the vehicles ability from flying forwards and downwards via  pressing alt

that kinda really sucks as it does not allow a fast vehicle with proper 3 dimensional movement. So is there any way to achieve that?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:05:10 AM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: How to design a non sinking heli[marked]
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:25:08 AM »

Do you have a Vtol Rotor on it? Adjust the vehicle's gravity center (the yellow crosshair displaying when material tab is chosen) to the middle of the whole vehicle. That'll make it fly properly.

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:05:00 AM »

Do you have a Vtol Rotor on it? Adjust the vehicle's gravity center (the yellow crosshair displaying when material tab is chosen) to the middle of the whole vehicle. That'll make it fly properly.

well the vehicles has 4 VTOL rotors, but I will have a look at that crosshair, not sure if I ever noiced that one even.

alienzerox

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 04:38:54 AM »

I designed a helicopter with a rotor 1 for lift [main] and a rotor 2 on the tail set @ a 45-degree angle to push it forward. I get a top speed of 130 kph it flies nose down like a proper helicopter and hovers like it should

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 06:30:12 AM »

if thrusters force a ,otherwise perfectly flying, craft down ............. its because the thrust line is above the center of gravity..............if you move their centers down to the CG they shouldn't effect altitude...................going slightly below will help it climb in forward flight

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »

Rotor type 1 need to be nosed down to pull the heli forward. if you don't want it to act like this, just use thruster as the power.

McDoof

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »

I've made a decent flying contraption that does well. My only problem is that it turns very slowly. I have 6 vtols along with 2 type 1 vtols as well as 2 thrusters. 2 vtols are mounted sideways and provide a little bit more turning power. It seems the trouble is that there is no yaw to it. When  I try to turn there is no tilt whatsoever. I can see all vtols rotating the way they should but, they have little effect. I edited quite a few times and once had it working the way it should but, my OCD would not allow me to leave it alone.

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »

if thrusters force a ,otherwise perfectly flying, craft down ............. its because the thrust line is above the center of gravity..............if you move their centers down to the CG they shouldn't effect altitude...................going slightly below will help it climb in forward flight

ah this seems to "fix" it, but kinda is weird bcause it makes many designes invlid as most normal looking designes will have lower centers of gravity. and therefore makles placing either the rotors, or the thrusters necessary in a strange position.

controlwie it should be better when not pressign alt or shift the vehicle should auoadjust the height to be stable when just pressing forward.