Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Machine Made (Steampunk Adventure RPG)  (Read 2985 times)

allsvin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Machine Made (Steampunk Adventure RPG)
« on: April 11, 2015, 04:16:34 AM »

Machine Made is a Turn-based RPG, with Puzzle & Adventure elements and a focus on Collecting and Crafting that allows for a high degree of character customization and a deep level of strategic thinking. The story takes place in a beautifully crafted Steampunk world with Fantasy/Sci-fi influences that will capture your imagination.

This RPG features:
A beautiful original musical score
A compelling storyline with memorable characters
Vibrant art, interactive environments
Elaborate item crafting
Powerful summoned creatures
Choice-influenced narrative
And more...

Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZbmSxFlcUk

Game Development Page:
http://www.gdunlimited.net/games/machine-made
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:36:03 PM by allsvin »

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Machine Made (Steampunk Adventure RPG)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 01:52:09 PM »

While i like the new incoming wave of cool ideas i refuse to get any more pixel sprite game. We have a PC, a PS4 and an Xbox1. Making 3d models and environments isnt that hard. Especially for a topdown game.
It seems like having a cool idea makes grafics totally obsolete. Those games dont need super grafics, but having no grafics at all sucks and starts to pi** me off.

MirecU

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

I don't think RPG Maker supports 3D features. Besides this game looks like a homage to the SNES jRPGs. And it has graphics, if you want to see a game without graphics try out Dwarf Fortress. :)

But making a game is a 0 sum development so if you concentrate less in graphics, you can put more time to other parts of the game (gameplay, story, etc.) Good example of this is Final Fantasy XIII. As it looks amazing, it lacks what the older games from the series had and it became quite a boring game where you run from point A to point B in a straight line.

That said, I am not defending this game, I won't even play it. It's just that your comment made me chuckle a bit and I had to say it. :) Besides it looks like a work of one man making what he wants in his spare time. So why criticize it?

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »

...Besides this game looks like a homage to the SNES jRPGs....

Like every other Indy game these days.
I know, gameplay and fun has to come first (and audio) then grafics. But that doesnt have to mean that grafic is totally unimportant. 0 sum doesnt mean, "Oh crap, we have 0% left for grafics.".

MirecU

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 06:03:12 AM »

I did not say graphics is totally not important. Today you need to have a decent graphics if you want to sell. But that does not mean a good game has to have good graphics. Take Order 1886 as example - crappy game that got good ratings only because of its graphics. I don't want the game industry to go this way.

Like every other Indy game these days.
Well.. pixel sprite game does not equal a SNES jRPG. :) Anyway.. a few years ago in the PS2 era I was wondering why many good jRPGs still used pixel sprites for the characters when there were a lot of games that utilized 3D graphics really well on that system. I might be wrong but I think that it was like that because of the atmosphere of these games. And the graphics did not degrade the quality of these games. But lets fast forward to today and we have a lot of AAA games with great 3D graphics that sux.

That said I did not mean that they have 0% for graphics, just that they focus more on the graphics, the budged goes up and with that they lack the time they would need to make the things that make a good game. And because the managers need to earn money they won't give them the time to do that and release a incomplete garbage. You sure you want the future of gaming be like this?

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »

...Today you need to have a decent graphics if you want to sell. But that does not mean a good game has to have good graphics...crappy game that got good ratings only because of its graphics...And because the managers need to earn money they won't give them the time to do that and release a incomplete garbage. You sure you want the future of gaming be like this?
No im totally with you. The amount of games that try to compensate lack of gameplay with grafics is totally high. Best examples are also francise/ licensing games. They spend 2m for the license and you get a crappy game with an awesome title.

I ment this "Trend" that if you make a game, you can sell it with the Indy "get out of prison" card: "We have made an awesome game. Look at the crappy grafics. This means the game is awesome."
Its like a hipster of games. Its cooler. (and less work).
I know CEOs want money, indy devs too (to a ceratin degree).
But look at a title like Banished. 1 guy. Great gameplay. And he took his time to even add decent grafics. He could have bring that game out with same pixelstuff, but he decided to go a bit further

MirecU

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:00:08 AM »

Yes, Banished is a great game and I gave gladly my money to the dev for that game. That's an example of how to do it right. But as I recall correctly he created the engine to make a completely different game - a zombie shooter (or something like that). But he later scrapped that idea and went with banished instead and so it ended up in 3D. :)

I ment this "Trend" that if you make a game, you can sell it with the Indy "get out of prison" card: "We have made an awesome game. Look at the crappy grafics. This means the game is awesome."
Well I personally haven't met with that kind of attitude yet, but I agree with you.
This looks like the counterpart to the "awesome graphics/zero gameplay" games. But luckily there are plenty of games in between these extremes that got the graphics/gameplay balance right.

Proteus7

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 03:07:04 AM »

I've played the demo for this game, and it's actually really good (FF6 nerd so already appeals to what I liked)... its very snes jrpg but also not really because the fantasy aspect is replaced to be more realistic/futuristic so different and made me feel nostalgic at the same time. The graphics are just sprites but what do you want it's a $2 game made from one guy.

The reason I like the game is because it's literally 100% original art and music and developed by one person... that's pretty rare and amazing when u think about it

neogoliath

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 02:16:11 AM »

It doesn't look like the sort of game our community would be interested at all.
It shares no common theme, mechanics, or graphic style. No aliens, no voxel building, no high-tech flashy crashed space ships...

I mean look at subnautica or something, that's the sort of game recommendation our community would really like due to a plethora of similarities.

Btw, this Proteus dude made was only here for 12 minutes and made one post, and that's strangely  not in one of the PE main forums but here. I wager this the game's developer astroturfing for crappy game that we don't want to play.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:08:33 PM by neogoliath »