Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Boats will not go strait[marked]  (Read 1805 times)

sillls

• Settler
    • View Profile
Boats will not go strait[marked]
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:09:20 PM »

Boats will not go strait.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not so I started this thread here in hopes of getting it resolved. 

I cannot get my boat to go strait no matter what I do.  It will always want to turn to the left or right depending on what I do.  After a number of try's I gotten it down some but it seems that anything (even looking at it wrong) seems to make it turn on its own. 
I ended up putting two  rudders (instead of just one) on it which made it go somewhat strait but it still wants to turn on it's own.   

I also been working on the spacing of the screws and rudders as well. 

My ship is a V shape with a two pixel wide at the flat of the V. 

This hull shape makes it better at floating but now I have this problem. 

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:01:41 AM by Dorist1 »

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Boats will not go strait[marked]
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:51:19 AM »

What size do you have the props scaled too...? is the boat fully symmetrical? as in you used the mirror to build it and place the parts?

I find anything over 1.75 will make any boat design prop walk , just like a real boat

this happens because the props turn in the same direction causing the boat to lean over(like a motorcycle) and turn(you don't really see it in the game)

I have made cat designs that can run 2.00 scaled prop without walking, but they will walk also around 2.5 scaling

The game shouldn't follow the same physics as real boats, but somehow it does, so to fix it you have to do what you would in a real boat...

in a single prop boat (such as an outboard motor) you simply trim the steering the opposite way of the walk.........since the game doesn't have a trim feature , you have to use prop rotation one degree at a time to fix it......

in build (create) mode ,spawn a wet world, and run your boat as far away from land as you can and still see it...... point the nose at one point on land, don't touch the steering and give it some gas and see which way turns or drifts(prop walk) and try rotating the prop(s) 1 degree and test again...

some features the developers could add to the game to help out with the designs of boats are:

1-add a trim feature for steering, simply letting us rotate the rudders off of the center (straight) position...you can't rotate rudders in the game now, i'm sure it has something to do with messing up the controls of the rudders, and it could have bad effects with turned props....

2-add another prop model  and a check box into the game for counter rotating props, which should automatically apply when placing prop with the X mirror on ( the tires for cars already do this), as counter rotating props walk cancel each other out for a total of zero prop walk..

sillls

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

My boat walks at 1.0  I have just discovered how to make them bigger.  But I really don't see much difference in the walking.  It seems about the same.  I just happen to be using a cat boat that I made watching your video.  Learned how to make bigger things to.  Thanks.    The cat boat is a bit heavier not sure why.

But anyways.  I am not sure what you mean by rotating props one degree at a time.
How do you make counter props?

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:12:16 AM »

my cat's weigh alittle more because to hollow them out with the compound curved sides they need to stay 2 voxels thick or holes will appear , and they all vary from each other based on how many voxels high you go, if you use the  whole area (160 voxels long) and the width of the tunnel.....

to turn props you do it just like any other part you can rotate....

with the parts  tab selected (upper left) click the part( in this case the right prop) and click the little arrow going in a circle(bottom right) this will place a circle on every axis around the part

grab on to the circle and and swing the prop the direction you want it to go, in this case o turned the right prop 31 degrees making the boat turn right all the time

if you only do it one degree it can counter the prop walk alittle..........

sillls

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 02:15:03 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I will try it once I get the chance.  :)