Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Anti-griefing Tools[marked]  (Read 2104 times)

abcpredator

• Colonist
    • View Profile
Anti-griefing Tools[marked]
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:48 AM »

(sorry for my bad english. I didn't found any recent tread about this argument, so i opened a new one. I do the right thing?)

A great problem in multiplayers servers is griefing. with this the game is unplayable...

I'm a griefer in minecraft server and this is my ideas for protect coop, build and versus mode.

The already proposed idea of using assembly cores to delimitate protected areas is the best in my opinion! Anyone build an assembly core will become the "a
dmin" of the city. This idea is also very user friendly (and also easy to implement?). This player can kick other players, create moderators, change building permissions, etc... like minecraft factions servers; but with an improvement in versus mode! In versus mode factions (at the contrary of minecraft) is ALWAYS vulnerable to enemy attacks! (that can be done only by factions wo declare war to us to prevent "friendly fire") until ALMOST ONE player of the interested faction is online! (at midnight, when the normal players slept, this area are fully protected! :D ). In addiction, like 7 days to die, the claim power decade in days if the leader of the city will not login in the server (ergo: if a city is abandoned will be fully griefable and lootable) and is always vulnerable to enemy npc! (aliens can always destroy your base if you don't defend it with turrets similar to 7 days to die zombies).
Admins of servers obviusely can always stay over this rules and ban illegal players or destroy this factions if necessary.

I've also read the idea to install a big brother-like system in vanilla server. This idea is good. Instead is not good for me an MCBans like protection system managed by Pathea hardware (if 5 admins are angry with a player without any valid reason this player can't play anymore with the game!) I don't thing this because i'm a griefer (i wasn't banned by MCbans for years until 1 mounth ago! :D ) but because this system is terrible vulnerable to admin abusing (also with a reputation system). In my mind, this is a good guide about griefing and preventing it (is for minecraft servers...but can be applied for planet explorers also, read the last part about MCbans)
http://www.reddit.com/r/mcservers/comments/jee69/preventing_griefers_how_to_be_an_effective/

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:27:34 AM by Dorist1 »

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-griefing Tools[marked]
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 05:50:01 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions. We'll consider it later.  :)

Luminaire

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • Dream Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 11:09:27 AM »

In a pvp server, the only protection should really be the players, otherwise it kind of ruins the idea of the gamemode..

So in speaking about pve servers, I have to say, i really do like the idea of assembly cores being dropped as a means for "protected zones". This meaning that blocks cannot be placed/deleted, nor terrain harvested by people who are not on the colonies white-list. Aswell as building placement/removal. It's a co-op server. If you want to grief, go play a pvp server.

Right now only one assembly core can be placed in the world, which would obviously have to change for this to work..

alexprazeres11

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:21:37 AM »

It's really a good idea...

that's one reason why I dont play multiplayer right now...

freelikegnu2

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:22:56 AM »

It seems that the current ban function only affects banning a players character (player can create a new character and rejoin).  Should not the option to ban by players steamid or IP (if not on Steam) be available to a server admin?