Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Polishing tricks tutorial[marked]  (Read 11112 times)

XxIcarusxx

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Polishing tricks tutorial
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:33 PM »

It's a trick but it took time to made but in the end the sesult worth it. The slope was made by using the mirroring tool and but using and by using the [****] + [Alt or Espace or arrow] I didn't use feathering substraction because it isn't sharp-cut enough for my use.

For this one
1. Right side: activate mirroring X select the slope of 1 voxel thick and use shift+left.
2. Right side: deactivate mirroring X select the created voxel area and delete it.
3. Left side: activate mirroring X select the slope of 1 voxel thick you have created and use shift+Alt.
4. Left side: deactivate mirroring X select the created voxel area and delete it.
5. repeat the process 1.2.3.4 until you reach the wanted slope and delete the useless area. (So, a lot of times...)

Once you have the right slope complete you need to select it and use mirroring  X and Y axys with full selected slope and move it once with [Shift]+[Espace].
Desactivate mirroring  X and Y axys and delete the right slope area. Activate mirroring  X and Y axys and select the left upper area and use [Shift]+[Espace] again.
Now you have the same slope on the 2 sides and you can delete the 2 upper useless slopes.

Now you can understand why a copy/paste selected area tool is very requested too x)

I hope they will add this tool quickly :p

loops

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »

Thanks a lot for your explanations ! I had to test during an hour in order to understand but the result is here. That will give me back the motivation to finish a long ago abandonned model.

XxIcarusxx

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »

[Extrude voxels (avanced): slopes]

Well, now I'm used with this method I can say my previous method for making a slope which follow another one by a mirroring process and only one layer by one layer a kind of foolish.

I use this method since few days and I progress more quickly than before, for sure.  (No need to move everywhere like with the previous mirroring method).  You should just understand a method like this is just for keeping  the flat aspect of the slope. So for polishing purpose. I generally use this with cone's diameter (Because it give the better render).

Slopes are composed of 2 layers so their thickness is 2 voxels. The inside consists of positive voxels when the outside is composed of negative voxels. This work for simple curves too xd.

The inside consists of positive voxels when the outside is composed of negative voxels. This work for simple curves too.

You just have to select voxels and use shift+arrows / alt / espace keys to extrude them.

Firstly the positive ones and as many time you need to have the length you want (depending of the movement you will need to erase a previous process like below).
Secondly the negatives ones.

Here an exemple, but the process could not be the same depending of the result you will reach:

1.Select positive voxels.

2.Shift + down arrow

3.and Shift + Alt arrow (2 and 3 can be repeat as many time as you need and can be reversed if the inside of the slope has been emptied)

4.Delete the useless voxels (4 can be skip if you have emptied the inside of the slope and reversed 2 and 3 -> 3 and 2)

5.Select negatives voxels

6.Shift + down arrow

7.Shift + Alt arrow (6 and 7 can be repeat as many time as you need)

Finished

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:55:47 PM by XxIcarusxx »

XxIcarusxx

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

Last time I have stopped playing because I wasn't able to fix the inside (+ irl issues) and all my tries failed because I made too much miscalculation during hours (Some headaches) when the solution was so easy to find Xp.

[Inside Slopes and Curves: How it's work]
(time consumer, new tool required)

If the curves have 2 voxels thickness, the inside have 2 voxels thickness as well. So if you on the front you have a -X voxel and behind a +Y voxel on the other side you will have a -Y voxel and behind a +X voxel. So 4 voxels  --> -X/Y/X/-Y <--

If the back follow the front it will be:

Front
                    v

-X-X-X-X-X-X-X
 Y  Y Y  Y Y Y  Y -X-X-X-X-X-X
 X  X X X X X X   Y Y  Y Y  Y Y
-Y -Y-Y-Y-Y-Y-Y   X X X X  X X
                      -Y-Y-Y -Y-Y-Y

Back

The inside will be a reduced version of the outside. So it is not necessary or possible in smallest area.

!Keep in mind that a curve or a slope made by using a sphere/cone/cylinder shaped tool can't be reproduced exactly because they are smoothed but voxel's texture/bump can easily hide the aspect of defects and bumps which could appear. So no flat surface on reproduced curves!

Here a trick, If you have planed to make a canopy or a sharp front, don't be centered with the default mirror position. The center should be 1 voxel and not 2 voxels because the front couldn't be sharp. Move the mirror (X) in consequence.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:02:23 PM by XxIcarusxx »

XxIcarusxx

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Polishing tricks tutorial[marked]
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 12:32:14 AM »

Here a ruler decal in pixel I have made for helping guys who want to make a custom decals who can match with the form of their iso. For making canopy frame, cover specific area or anything else: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6u1uuk3fu4f2zjz/Pixrul.png

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:48:28 AM by XxIcarusxx »

XxIcarusxx

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Polishing tricks tutorial[marked]
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »

[ More flat sphere and flat cone properties ]

Unlike cylinder and triangle they create more voxels when they are near them, and give a render more smooth.

You can obtain some forms that you can't create with actual ingame tools if you stack up them by moving them of more than 1 voxel. However for flat cone the general aspect will depend of the quality of the slope, most of the time you'll get something lightly undulating and it need several tries to get a flat cone with a better render (note Height x Wide somewhere to possibly re-use it later). If you can't find a good render, try with bigger HxW or increase ancle and remember you can move it anywhere with the mirroring option. Unfortunatly ou can't get the same result directly by using ingame tools.

- Cylender and flat sphere tool stacked with size -2m -4 and -6 (3 layers). You can't really see here but the result will be better with higher diameter and flat sphere tool if the the angle is under 45°. If it is bigger than 45° you can use cone tool but under 45° it will quickly lost in quality.

- Triangle and flat sphere tool stacked moved by +1, +2 and +3 voxels (3 layers). Better result if you use higher HxW than the one you plan to do because the extremities will be irregular.

Some exemples:

- Corner like this can be more sharp by using the tool voxel volume tool and voxels (0 volume). But it work only on apparent side where voxels (0). Unfortunatly it don't work if juxtaposed sides have a voxel 0 layer

Exemple:

[Caution] Voxels with volume 0 will create a visual bug issue from far distance if there are not positive voxels behind them.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:00:02 PM by XxIcarusxx »
Pages: 1 [2]