Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Voxel Based Unity Tutorials  (Read 4627 times)

norab7

• Global Moderator
  • Settler
  • "The longer the description the more help it is"
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Voxel Based Unity Tutorials
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »

I'm looking to make somthing small for myself in unity that is like how planet explorers edits the terrain in game, but on a much much smaller scale.

I mean a small scale by map size not by voxels per meter size.

I want to create a planet that is around 10meters diameter that a player could walked around. But as i know nothing at all about the unity engine or codeing games in general, i was hopeing that someone here would know what i need to do/get/find to be able to acheive this.

Hope there is someone out there that can give me some help making this. I have the Beginners Free Version of the Unity engine to play with so far, not sure if i'll need anything else.

Please HALP!

Zifei i know you can do it, but your busy making awesome games, so you've my last resort if no-one else can help. :D
nora
"Apparently Humans have 5 fingers on one hand, not 4"
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1064/1514984641.jpg

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Re: Voxel Based Unity Tutorials
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:20 AM »

There are some 3rd party voxel programs like Voxelform on the asset store, however, the person making Voxelform stopped updating, so that program's pretty much dead. There are others like this one: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148452-Marching-Cubes-Infinite-Terrain-Infinite-Object-Fast-and-Optimized/page2 but it also doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The way we did it was kinda hard to do and not recommended for everyone (or anyone). Unity's able to read c++ stuff on a very small cache, and we're pretty much doing our entire marching cubes voxel calculations through that, that's the reason you have a frame drop whenever you load a new area of terrain. Knowing what we know now...we might still have done this, but we would have also taken advantage of just using another cpu core to exclusively convert voxel data to terrain data.

Depending on how the Kickstarter goes, we'll probably include a level editor in there (or spin it off into another project altogether, I have a lot of idea regarding where this genre can go, depending on the tech in the next 2-3 years).

norab7

• Global Moderator
  • Settler
  • "The longer the description the more help it is"
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »

There are some 3rd party voxel programs like Voxelform on the asset store, however, the person making Voxelform stopped updating, so that program's pretty much dead. There are others like this one: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/148452-Marching-Cubes-Infinite-Terrain-Infinite-Object-Fast-and-Optimized/page2 but it also doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

The way we did it was kinda hard to do and not recommended for everyone (or anyone). Unity's able to read c++ stuff on a very small cache, and we're pretty much doing our entire marching cubes voxel calculations through that, that's the reason you have a frame drop whenever you load a new area of terrain. Knowing what we know now...we might still have done this, but we would have also taken advantage of just using another cpu core to exclusively convert voxel data to terrain data.

Depending on how the Kickstarter goes, we'll probably include a level editor in there (or spin it off into another project altogether, I have a lot of idea regarding where this genre can go, depending on the tech in the next 2-3 years).

What did i say... you were my last resort with this as i didn't want to keep you from creating games :D.

However i've looked through the things you posted and looked through another few things on the internet which didn't really help.

I think going straight into Voxel stuff is like jumping in at the deep of the swimming pool, i just don't understand it.

I'm now going to go look for some very very very very basic tutorials on how to just normal start off a game, even at the basic level of "This is how you make a box". Then i can just layer and layer it on until i understand what i'm doing more or less, then move onto Voxel stuff :D.

One of my main wishes is to have a published game that i created or assisted in creating by code and what not. So i've gotta start somewhere :D

But still, thanks for the help. It's helped me find a path of where i want to go to start off something of my own (for myself of course).
Who knows, if i catch on quick i might be able to help you make you game somewhere :D, although i doubt it haha. (would be for free though like i do now :D)

nora
nora
"Apparently Humans have 5 fingers on one hand, not 4"
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1064/1514984641.jpg

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:02:51 AM »

Unity is a pretty good engine to learn from a beginner's point of view. It's the most easily picked up major engine that you'll find on the market. Still, you'll need to know at least some coding if you want to use it (it's not a game editor where you just plug in the models). Good luck!  :)