Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Multiplayer world saving  (Read 1889 times)

airlynx99

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Multiplayer world saving
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »

Okay, so my friend is picking up Planet Explorers on the 10th of this month and I want to run a server from my computer for him and I to play together on.  I've run various types of servers before, both with consoles and without consoles (yes, not every game server out there comes with a fancy admin console), and am fairly comfortable with the process.  But while I'm waiting for him I've been playing around with it and I don't understand how the world saving process works.

I launched the server for a few minutes, dug a few holes, built a few dirt pillars, and closed the server.  Nothing saved but my inventory.  So I did some digging in the forums here and found mostly outdated info, but what I can discern is that it is saved every 30 minutes, is this correct?

I did another test, where I did the same thing, dug some holes, built some dirt pillars, but this time I placed an ISO sign down on one of the pillars.  I left the server running for a little over half an hour before closing it and relaunching it.  This time none of the holes dug were saved, the pillars were not saved, but the little ISO sign I placed was hanging in midair.  Quite frustrating.

So, final test, same thing.  Dug holes, built pillars, placed ISO sign, and this time I left the server running for several hours while I left the house.  Came back, closed and relaunched everything, and the pillars are still there, but I can't find any of the holes I dug!

So for the record, I'm using PE_Server.exe -batchmode, I've gone into the server config file and edited it to the following:

{"Framerate":60,"LobbyIP":"74.81.173.196","LobbyPort":12534,"TeamNum":2,"NumPerTeam":16,"GameMode":260,"GameType":0,"MonsterYes":true,"ServerName":"Airlynx99s superfabulous server","MapSeed":"patheamaria","TerrainType":1,"ClimateType":1,"VegetationType":1,"MasterRoleName":"Unknown","Password":"admin","PublicServer":true,"DropDeadPercent":10,"UnlimitedRes":false,"MapSize":0,"RiverDensity":1,"RiverWidth":1}

The ServerName shows up in my LAN games with the correct name, so I know it's using the config file.

But how in the heck does the server world saving work?  Is there a way to save manually because I tend to shut down my computer every night when I'm done playing, I don't want to leave it running non-stop.

Also, WHERE does it save the world files, what are they called?  If I wanted to take my existing Adventure world and move it over to a multiplayer server, is that possible?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is driving me a little crazy.

FuelX

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer world saving
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »

Hi,

Some people seem to be able to use the dedicated server properly, but I'm not. I had much more success with the ingame server.

Look at the first post on this board: Some notes on server configuration (http://board.pathea.net/index.php?topic=3866.0).

What you want is the 3rd «Some notes» in Mr. Calvin's post. Oh, and while the «Delete» button on the Multiplayer window will safely close your server, the Delete button on the Host window will completely delete your server from your computer.

Also take a look at this other post: http://board.pathea.net/index.php?topic=6702.0. However, I did'nt have much success with this «recreate the server» method. Everytime I tried, I ended up loosing partial content about the last hour or two of playtime.

With Steam, the save's path is: Steam\SteamApps\common\Planet Explorers\Server\ServerData
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 04:43:13 PM by FuelX »

FuelX

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »

Oh, and on the same subject, i cant find a way to save discovered locations on the map. When I restart my server, everything discovered is black again. Discovered missions and towns are hidden again. The only things saving are my custom markers.

Onirim

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

I've the same problem : the game erase all the modifications applied to terrain between each save.

paladinlove

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »

I just restarted my server and seem to be having the same problem as you described. The only thing I noticed that was different is that my server starts up with the saves from 3 days ago and that made me wonder if maybe along the line from the patch of 83 to 831 messed up the auto save time frame. Im running a delicated server and had no problem till this new version came out. I don't know if the patch is the cause but it seems like 83 was a lot more stable