Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Digging a cave fortress (pics)[marked]  (Read 5916 times)

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
Digging a cave fortress (pics)[marked]
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:17:25 AM »

I saw the Creation thread, but that seems to be mostly about items you make in the item editor, so hope this is ok.

Does anyone else do a lot of building structures or carving out massive hobbit holes? Since I ran through most of the available quests in current alpha, I seem to have become obsessed with the later. It started with the mining and loving the way the land carves out, which has led to trying to build an underground "home." My husband thinks I've gone mad, heh.  Anyone else have what I'd call "Dig-Dug" fever? Pics to share? My early attempts are rough as I wing it and discover what's possible, and I'd be curious what other people have managed to do with this aspect of the game. Probably much better than what I have so far, I'd guess.  ;D

And Pathea, please, please keep the digging feeling somewhat "organic." I don't want boring/easy to manage blocks ala Minecraft. This is the most fun I've had with building in a game in ages. I love the way mining/digging "feels."

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:29:20 AM by Dorist1 »

XBlade1X

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Digging a cave fortress (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »

That's really good! I'm actually kind of tempted now to dig my own underground base, batcave style with areas to park my vehicles and stuff :P

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »

Quests bug out on me a lot halting my storyline, so I get out my shovel and pickaxe and have at it.   Of course there is the obligatory dig out Gerdy shuttle at the start, though I think she was not thinking multilevel dungeon.

This is the only mining game I have played that you feel like your avatar really is mining.    Usually even sandbox games you just stand at a fixed node/grid and wack it until it depletes/dissapears, there is no interaction with the environment at all, no creativity possible.   My current project is sculpting the ore nodes out of the limestone at the crater, with side benefit I made a huge limestone castle at Camp Carter.

The mountain at camp carter on the shore side has marble, I wish its voxel build version was more marble looking, and the limestone/rock build textures patterns would horizontally align.   The organic versions before mining look perfectly organic, just the built versions are lacking.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:17:29 PM by yarnevk »

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »

Nice little fort.   Maybe you can turn it into a full on Bunker like 1941 style!   

On a side note, I posted my Church onto the thread!  You can totally post buildings on there.   its the CREATION thread.   ISO trading is just one perk of the thread.
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

TheHappyStick

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »

Yeah I'm building up camp carter atm with a wall,  trench,  turrets,  a hangar for the shuttle,  and so on. Once it looks a bit more polished I'm going to post it in the main thread.

Malus Tepes

• Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »

Good luck to anyone getting Camp Carter to look as much as a Town as I did...  I spent over 15 hours into my Camp carter making it a beautiful town.   Plenty of homes ((with substandard livings bhwahhaha)) and even a church.  Tons of think powerful walls.   A massive gate!  A improptu bridge with a full on moat!

TheHappyStick

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »

I was going to go the military base route. Hangar,  barracks, garages, store house, etc.

flamingo_bowling

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »

How do you guys manage the spiders? I have about 25 torches all throughout my main mine (stone head has an ocean of iron and copper underneath it, FYI) but the creepy four-eyed bastards still find their way in!

Malus Tepes

• Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:54 PM »

How do you guys manage the spiders? I have about 25 torches all throughout my main mine (stone head has an ocean of iron and copper underneath it, FYI) but the creepy four-eyed bastards still find their way in!
Spiders?

I just wear a head lamp and they don't bug me.  Plus, as long as you don't make a GIANT hallow dome underground...  All else fails, strip mine the top off.

yager652

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:03 PM »

has anyone tried using the Alien ruins yet as a home?  I have started to excavate the area.  Just to see if I find anything in it. 

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:45 AM »

I haven't had any issues with spiders appearing in my dug-out caves. Are they supposed to appear magically in there if it's dark, or do they just enter from above/your cave entrance/s? Since I've been using the crater, I figured the "safe zone" around it, which seems fairly large, was protecting me anyway. ;)

I wear the headlamp too, and I have several campfires above ground, ringing the front area of the crater and mostly so I can see even without the headlamp. That could be keeping them away too.

SilverDragon

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »

If i can find a real nice mountain i will probably build a lovely multifloored bunker with lower section large caves with houses/entrance and garage, mid section airstrip/hangers and the top personal quarters, with a nice defensive wall up front :P

Aku

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:06 PM »

hah i saw this thread earlier today, and it was the inspiration for my digging out of one of the stone formations points. Its still a small area, but im slowly working on it.
edit: How do you get the floors so level?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:03:51 PM by Aku »
http://www.twitch.tv/akuthia where I play Planet Explorers and other mostly niche games!

silenced

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:20 PM »

If you keep an eye out on when your character stops digging and you release the button for digging -> it will stop and you will have, if you continue around, an even floor. Takes some time to get it right though. But of course, you can always go deeper if it wasn't perfect.

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »

They may not dig out in square blocks but my impression is they're still essentially blocks just the same. So think of the ground as being in "layers" - like when you're building a high stone wall. Dig out one spot, then move the dig cursor to a spot next to it and dig it up, like you're slowly using a spoon to eat the top layer off of a cake. And like Aku mentioned, don't hold down the mouse button when digging. Click it once and wait. After a while you get used to the way things dig out vs. the different shapes/positions the green dig "bubble" likes to be in and it becomes easier.

If you make some booboos and you don't want to re-dig a whole other layer, you can use some mined stone or whatever to fill in a hole here and there, if you don't mind a few spots with different texture. ;) If only one block is needed, sometimes it's barely even noticeable. I've done it occasionally when I broke through to the surface where I didn't want to. Plug the hole with a dirt block and I'm good to go.

Pages: [1] 2