Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's your dream game?  (Read 4659 times)

muddymutty

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
What's your dream game?
« on: July 01, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »

Not sure if this is an acceptable discussion here, but lets give it a shot.

If you could create any game, what would it be like? What's the best game you can think of?

For me, it'd have an amazing creation system like PE, randomly generated worlds, and have a Sims type aspect to it; you could customize yourself to your hearts content, start a family, and switch between your family members while still having NPC's. It'd focus more on survival; you'd always be struggling to get enough to eat and drink, lose sanity without sleep, and have diseases. Basically, it'd be a relaxing game at best, and make you uneasy knowing you could die at any moment at worst. Success in the game would vary on how much you've built, how many generations lived if you wanted to play that way. If you had a wife and kids, you'd be held down as such, you'd need to focus your time to getting enough supplies for all of them rather than building and advancing technology. And, of course, it would still be open to a large modding community. I feel like that'd be a 100% perfect game.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: What's your dream game?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:03 PM »

Have you tried Banished (on steam and gog)?   It is a frontier town simulator, much smaller scope than SimCity, small enough that you can keep track of your families over generations if they ever live long enough to reproduce.   Very tough to log/hunt/gather/mine/farm while trying to stay fed, accident and disease free.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 10:31:49 PM »

I got Banished on a steam sale and love it!! It was the first thing I thought of reading muddymutty's post.

Though technically not everything he is looking for, if many of its mechanics were  mixed into PE colony system , I also feel this would be the perfect relaxing game.

Wrongfire

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 01:35:56 AM »

A remake of Grandia. (Sadly that will never happen :c)

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »

perfectly acceptable topic here! don't let anyone tell you differently... unless its Malus, then bow before your lord an.... nevermind

Anyhow.... My perfect game would be pretty similar to yours I imagine. Randomly generated everything, and fully dynamic and simulated world. Cities won't be static, but completely different each time you find a new one. Grow or fall into decay and ruin based on many factors, such as surrounding resources, player actions and natural disasters. No two games would be alike in the slightest- but at the same time I doubt there would be any point to making a new game, just explore more.
NPC's would need to be diverse and interesting- some will come to love you while others hate. Make enemies and friends as you go about your business.

I'd want it to be steampunkish I think....with elements of both fantasy and sci-fi thrown in. I would want to be able to progress as a player/character but at the same time not have those ridiculous levels of power where your ending character can utteraly destroy your beginning character with but a single flick of his finger >.> (basically any progression that's strictly a character skill or or limited to the players own ability shouldn't surpass itself in any huge quantity.)

The level of interactivity with the world would have to be immense.

surprisingly the most important thing to me, story, would not be the main focus in my perfect game. I'd be my hope that such a game on that scale would have an AI advance enough to create it's own non-scripted situations.

So yea.... basically my perfect game is an impossibility. At least at the moment and possibly in my lifetime :(

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »

Actually most skill based sandbox MMOs have reasonable progression within human limits (Mortal, Wurm, Ultima, Shroud of the Avatar, Rust/DayZ, Defiance).  They do this because without leveled zones everyone has to be able to play fairly with each other.   Sure a master swordsman can gank any spawned noob, but that is also true in real life when murder penalties are removed.  Of course griefers will scream loudly at the slightest hint of murder penalties which is why unless they have PVE option I do not play these games.   In those games anything bigger than you is always going to be a challenge.  So that is not an impossibility, that just requires devs to not give into the level elevator demands of long time players that they be able to destroy worlds and teleport between planes (as in D&D high levels).   I cannot include Planet Explorers because we have VTOLS that can rain mass carnage from above, being a tech based rather than skill based game. 

No Mans Sky seems very promising on the procedural everything genre, though it seems not much butterfly effect interactivity there as far as the player goes, but that is accounted for in the world building.  Procedural everything games are not at all new, when games was delivered on floppy disks you had to create content on the fly.  The entire rogue like genre dates back to mini-computers before even personal computers.   Of course being ASCII games it was easy to generate the content, now it is a lot easier to hire artists but even AAA is realizing that can be too expensive and thus procedural is returning to games, but so far none of them let you leave the roller coaster ride to go interact with the generated world. 

Maybe someday they will realize that skill based games that interact with a procedural world and intelligent NPC means high replay value, but the cynic in me says they know that would mean the end of annual franchise releases if I am still replaying last years release...

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:55:02 AM by yarnevk »

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:52:37 AM »

that was only a small part of what I was talking about... but yes, as far as that small bit, we do have games that touch down on what I want for character development and progression in my ideal game.

unfortunately, none of the games you listed come close to what I had in mind for my perfect game :-p
and I should probally mention I dislike MMO. So I doubt my perfect game would be a MMO,... but hey, its possible.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:56:34 AM »

Read something on ESO boards, just pretend the other MMO players are mindless daedra possessed skooma addled NPC.  Makes the world much more enjoyable!

I should probably strike Defiance off the skill based list, it used to be that way until a patch that raised the EGO level to 5000 from 1000, with the addition to the store of EGO boost  and weapon mastery/rarity upgrades and leveled enemies making new players useless outside their own groups.  Even lame as I am I hit the top of the leader boards now, because paid players got grandfathered in with lots of powerups, before the changes I would always hit the bottom of the leader boards.  It was all in preparation for going F2P where purchasing power and bypassing actual gameplay is what it is all about, sadly seems the industry is destined to go that way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:13:25 PM by yarnevk »

Liquidacid23

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »

making new players useless outside their own groups.

that's not true... it scales player EGO levels too... so it plays pretty the same no matter the EGO level of others around you especial because you don't even need to be grouped with them for the game to scale you to match, you just have to be in the same mission area... My main is around EGO 5000 and my alt is only like 400 and I can run through any of the content with players of any EGO level just fine, the only difference is they have better gear but it doesn't actually make much of a difference in PVE ...   the actual stuff they sell in the cash-shop is largely pointless if what you are looking for is a straight up power boost, it's mostly just cosmetic crap and the boosts which don't actually do anything but cut down on the grind... it's just the normal pay to lessen the grind that most MMOs, F2P or not, offer now a days... in fact most of what you said and most of what they have added mechanics wise has nothing to do with skill (weapon mastery resets, upgrading rarity, boosts, arkforge) but just the grind... and grinding takes no skill just time

the leaderboards tho are kind of pointless because the scoring system and some weapon/skill combos are not very balanced... I can hit an Arkfall with even a brand new EGO 10 character equipped with an Infector and score at the top if not in 1st easily or throw cloak and a courier sawed off-shotgun on it and dominate PVP... but I've been able to do that since Alpha... the reason you are scoring better now is probably because the scaling system is actual working unlike before where it didn't scale and was easier to abuse... also with F2P there is an influx of new players who haven't figured out which skill/weapon combos are the easiest to abuse... I mean there is a score boost you can buy but that just ups your score in the event but it doesn't actually make your character any more powerful... it just lets you gain script, salvage and whatnot faster which is again just lessening the grind and has no effect on anything skill based

the game is still just as skill based as it ever was, not that that matters much since all the content is rather easy and doesn't require much in the way of skill to begin with... it's a little more about skill I guess PVE side now because Mobs also scale to number of players in the area for missions so you can't just bring a group and steamroll the content with numbers as easy as you used to
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:03:49 PM by Liquidacid23 »

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:20:04 PM »

ehhh.... that's one thing my perfect game WON'T have.... scaling.

old players should be kept being capable of playing with new players at all times. But scalling of any kind makes better equipment and skills/levels pointless and stupid. Why have it at all if your gonna just negate it completely and always?
Although some games address that with scalling caps- so that it doesn't overdo it....

I feel a rat should always look and feel like a rat,.. nothing more. same with a lion, or a hulking mutant carrying a minigun. Skills, equipment, and companions should expand your options at dealing with the problem. Keeping leveling out of this keeps the mutant from ever not being at least some kind of threat, but ensures the rat and usually the lion will be easily dealt with in some form. And all should be encounter'able at any time during play.
Keeping skills, allows for progression and interest. Attributes and traits would be great also if implemented correctly.

so my perfect game if done correctly would support co-op between an old player and a new one, as enemies remain the same threat as they always are. But the new companion won't have any "good" equipment unless provided by the old player.
The main problem with this is, you end up with one person giving everyone else a load of stuff and all the new players now have nothing to do. Which means while you need a variety of equipment in the game, you also need it to not be the main focus of the game.
7 days to die and rust did this little screw up, its all about provisions and once one person is set up good- anyone that joins him has absolutely nothing to do but grief others.

So what else can you do but eat, sleep, drink, salvaging, crafting, building and killing?
This is why I mentioned advanced A.I.- the problem half resolves itself if the world is reactive and proactive. And a large part of that is a world that is alive.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:29:55 PM by Silentone98 »

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 01:35:35 PM »

Id love to see a manhunt. 1 player needs to use all his skill in environment, to dodge other players hunting party. Setting traps, build simple weapons, covering tracks etc. Game is won after set time, reached area, killed the prey or hunters. In singleplayer you would have to use a real good AI to play against.
There is a game called The Hidden, where 1 player starts as an altered almost invisible killer, pretty much like the Predator. But its a pure shooter, so no hunt

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:31 PM »

Liquid Defiance EGO scaling maybe but I am at threat 2 normally, just upgraded from threat 1.  I play it casually over last year whenever I want to shoot something, but if I get trapped in a quest with threat 10 it is always a tough fight that I cannot survive, and better off escaping and going back when they leave the area.  Enemies are more numerous and of the harder variety and I cannot compete as a casual player.  But you should go back and play v2 of the game, when it went f2p they made the p2p boost seriously powerful as an incentive to buy, it did not used to be that way as now my EGO level is rapidly increasing compared to before despite still just playing it casually (I do a mission once or twice a week and just finished the story).  I don't even need to do mission just login everyday and I will get bonus daily/weekly goodies in the mail, including arkforge needed to upgrade weapons and now I am purple and orange everywhere instead of just a few blues.   The orginal p2p version before the MMO grinders complained and got EGO limits raised was a much better game.   I know I suck as a casual player and should not be hitting leaderboards just because I am a paid player, but the certainly are lowering f2p player ranks because they want them to pay to win.

I played Morrowind and Skyrim, I actually prefer Skyrims scaling better because you are more free to make a different path thru the game, which is important for alt play.  If the game has areas that says you cannot go there because it is hard then that puts you on a predefined path - and I am hating that part of ESO.   But that does not mean make it all easy or all hard, mudcrabs should stay easy and daedra should stay hard.  This is something ESO got wrong as they have zones where mudcrabs are hard and daedra are easy.   Its like playing D&D where the kobolds are as tough as dragons, and dragons are the easymob level one, it makes no sense!

It is fun to replay a dungeon at a different level than your other character did or even the same character going back.   In skyrim I use a bandit mod that shows the tougher bandits taking over after you clear out the easy bandits (made the mistake of using a bandit camp as my own), helps with the immersion of why scaling happens.   

Wurm Online has different levels of the same mob mixed together such as age, hunger, disease and traits but they are not autoscaled to you nor based on zones, so it makes realistic sense for an open world and you learn to avoid the hard ones and go after the easy.   And rats are always easy and crocs are always killer.  It keeps the incentive to upgrade gear and skills, while not mob blocking you from going anywhere though you might have to sneak past some mobs.   ESO would be much better if they had taken that approach, they even downsized the Skyrim bear and sabre cats to reinforce that they are just trash mobs!   Pathea wanted to do that way but already had to cut mob size options for performance, so unlikely we will see that here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:12:04 PM by yarnevk »

Liquidacid23

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 02:10:28 PM »

Liquid EGO scaling I think is for dungeons only (maybe PVP I don't play).   I am at threat 2 normally, just upgraded from threat 1.  I play it casually over last year whenever I want to shoot something, but if I get trapped in a quest with threat 10 it is always a tough fight that I cannot survive, and better off escaping and going back when they leave the area.  Maybe my EGO got scaled, but enemies are more numerous and of the harder variety and I cannot compete.

EGO scales everywhere now, you should notice it as your EGO rating turns bright yellow when it changes...  Threat Level tho is a dynamic difficulty scaling system that boosts players and enemies based on the amount of players and their EGO Rating  (here this explains how it all works http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=205 ) ... if you wander into an area with a high threat and have problems it's probably because the enemies are scaling against everyone together so if the players don't actually work together, at least a little, the enemies will seem much harder... it's not a perfect system by any means but if the enemies scaled only taking into account players all acting individually than the the whole thing would break back down to the old way the game was where 2 people could steamroll everything easily with a tiny bit of teamwork... they upped the difficulty in general tho across the board because a majority of people complained how easy the content was, especially for groups... honestly before the changes the game was ridiculously easy.. also the boost just let people avoid some of the grind it doesn't affect my personal game experience at all no matter how many they buy... I understand why people buy them because there simple never was enough content to justify how many EGO levels there were... There were 5000 EGO levels but when I beat all the story content I was barely EGO 1000 and that was with PVP, dungeons, open word activities and arkfalls... once they start selling weapons that are better than the ones you can earn in game than maybe I can see someone complaining... but right now what they sell doesn't really give them an advantage over other players gameplay wise... they are just shelling out cash instead of time which has been a staple of cash shops since MMOs started having them

the only time I've ever had a real problem was occasionally really high level people would AFK close enough to a mission area to be counted as on the mission so they inflate the threat level while not participating... but even then the missions weren't that hard... you can always break out some of the really unbalanced weapons/skills and plow right through it

I'm not really a fan of most scaling systems in PVE tho... scaling just kind of makes leveling a mute point... if my enemies get stronger as I get stronger than what is the real point in getting stronger? having no scaling and limiting vertical progression would be easier and achieve the same thing... but people like to see numbers get bigger I guess even if they don't actual change anything

When I want more skill based gameplay in an MMO I go for something like Planetside 2... there is some progression power gain but not much... most of it is horizontal and even if you own literally every single item in the game and are at BR100 (the max level) you can still easily be killed by someone who is brand new because you aren't really any more powerful than he is... it also has the benefit of being pure PVP so you don't have to deal with the always stupid AI mobs have (not that a lot of players aren't stupid)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:54:31 PM by Liquidacid23 »

Kishmond

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

When I was 11 I would have committed murder for a game like Planet Explorers.
Right now I don't really know what I like. I just play whatever seems like fun at the time. *shrug*
I play lots of sandbox-type games. I like the freedom to creatively solve problems.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

i'm really liking the idea of the  game EVOLVE for competitive MP

its kinda like borderlands class and co-op system where you hunt and fight a boss monster but the boss is another player with increased abilities to deal with a 4 player team coming after him.

It sounds sick too bad it's an x-box exclusive :-\
Pages: [1] 2