Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: The Voxel Power of Unity[marked]  (Read 4144 times)

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 02:16:31 AM by Dorist1 »

Trent

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: The Voxel Power of Unity
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »

Looks like a more detailed PE really.

Also, axes are weak, I want to down trees with explosives and gunfire.  :D

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »

Thats why i posted it, its more or less a more detailed version of PE.

Trent

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 02:58:49 AM »

makes me wonder if some visual upgrades are on the to do list once the next version of Unity is released.

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »

They changed to Unity 5 recently, but i think thats for features first, like water etc

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

Didnt want to Necro it, but the plugin/engine costs 3k, would be nice seeing that, or at least similar coding

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/terrainengine-marching-cubes-infinite-procedural-smooth-terrain.174595/

They did everything you wanted, only already done, but without story content and editors. And i must admit, it looks better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3lOI8McEec&t=130
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:39:54 AM by PrometheusVI »

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »

Didnt want to Necro it, but the plugin/engine costs 3k, would be nice seeing that, or at least similar coding

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/terrainengine-marching-cubes-infinite-procedural-smooth-terrain.174595/

They did everything you wanted, only already done, but without story content and editors. And i must admit, it looks better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3lOI8McEec&t=130

does it also run better?

I mean, making it look better is easy, but this does not imply running on a good performance with a decent scale.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »

No it does not run better, Pathea spent a lot of time writing their own code because writing an engine to do more than a demo has a lot to consider, like you need dynamic AI that has nothing to do with voxels be aware of voxels that get in the way.

There was an RPG using this engine, (Astral Terra) their kickstarter badly failed, and the game was left in a demo mess.  Still had hopes for it but have not seen any dev updates for a while.  Not to say a voxel engine cannot succeed, Everquest Next (Landmark) is using a decent one.  Bottom line is you need more than a terrain engine to make a good RPG.

There is a reason that Minecraft is blocky voxels, it is simple to code and run on lots of different hardware.   Even its 8b gfx are on purpose for performance, since all the HD texture packs and shader mods say you need a beast of a PC to run them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:24:25 PM by yarnevk »

PrometheusVI

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »

... like you need dynamic AI that has nothing to do with voxels be aware of voxels that get in the way...
...An AI uses dynamic NavMesh for pathing. If the terrain isnt properly meshed, an AI movement is pretty much useless.

Lily

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:34 PM »

yes, but thats the issue one sees a technical demo on youtube saying: "so awesome, why can't you <insert random dev studio> make this?"

Same goes for all the cryengine and unreal engne videos, they show how awesome they look like on a small scale, without some features around.
Poeple get easily impressed by this, too easily.

The PE voxels are already on a borderline of feasability. Fly at 300 in a plane and trees appear right in front of you, I yesterday even flew through a mountain which happened to be generated beheind me. I wonder what would have happened if that generation happened right when I would have been in it xD

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:08 AM »

Notice this demo is in the forest with a walking guy?   Indeed fly off a mountain top and you see the rendered area is very small (very annoying on the RPG that used it, you could see the edge of the world just by exploring on foot, and it used a fake horizon sky dome to trick you into thinking it was larger)  There are tricks for getting around this, like using less resource intensive height maps for distant view and voxels in only near view, but VTOL can quickly make up distance with speed and you are back to same problem of getting to the edge too soon.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:15:06 AM by yarnevk »