Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some notes on server configuration  (Read 30638 times)

Calvin

• Tech Honcho
  • Administrator
  • Enlistee
    • View Profile
Some notes on server configuration
« on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »

Windows:
(Client Root Directory)/Server/HostServer.exe

Linux:
(Client Root Directory)/Server/HostServer.x86

Mac:
(Client Root Directory)/Server/HostServer

Config File Path:
(Client Root Directory)/Server/ConfigFiles/ServerConfig.config
Note that the server will automatically make this file after the first launch.

Settings in Config File(JSON style):
Framerate: the framerate affects the CPU usage of the server. 60 is the recommended value under regular circumstances.

LobbyIP and LobbyPort are used to connect to the official lobby server. Do not change these under regular circumstances.

TeamNum: max number of teams (up to 8. but it needs to be set to '1' in co-op mode)
NumPerTeam: max number of players in a team
GameMode: 260 (Adventure), 261 (Build)

GameType: 1 (PVP), 0 (Co-op)
ServerName: the name of your server shown in the lobby server
MapSeed: the seed for random terrain generation

TerrainType: 1 (Grassland), 2 (Forest), 3 (Redstone), 4 (Desert)
ClimateType: 0 (Dry), 1 (Temperate), 2 (Wet), 3 (Random)
VegetationType: 1 (Grassland), 2 (Forest), 3 (Redstone), 4 (Desert)

PublicServer: true (will be shown in the lobby server)/false

Below is the default setting file.
// Config file starts

{"Framerate":60,
"LobbyIP":"74.81.173.196",
"LobbyPort":12466,
"TeamNum":2,
"NumPerTeam":16,
"GameMode":260,
"GameType":0,
"ServerName":"PlanetExplorer",
"MapSeed":"pathea",
"TerrainType":1,
"ClimateType":3,
"VegetationType":1,
"PublicServer":false}

// Config file ends

Some notes:
1: The server program takes up UDP ports 9900-9915, and TCP ports 8800-8815. So you can launch up to 16 server instances on one computer simultaneously.
2: If you plan on making your server public on the internet, please make sure all port-forwarding are done properly, or make it a DMZ server.
3: Saving multiplayer progress. This section describes how you can save multiplayer sessions and continue playing at a later time.
To do this, you must host your server with the client program.
When you want to save your multiplayer progress, quit to the lobby interface, find the 'Delete' button. Note that not only will this button remove your server from the server listing, it will also SAVE your multiplayer data locally. So at a later time, when you want to continue with the saved characters, you simply create the server with the OLD server name that you used previously. In case you have forgotten the old server name, you may find it under (Client Root Directory)/Server. In addition, the server config file will be ignored if you are continuing a saved progress(the config attached to the saved progress will be used instead).

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:06:45 AM by Dorist1 »

Poundsy

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: Some notes on server configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 07:49:59 AM »

It does indeed help. Much appreciated.

Sdonai

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »

Thank you

Tessius

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 04:14:03 PM »

I hate to be captain obvious, but they've changed the name of the hosting exe, it's now PE_Server.exe

Poundsy

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:02:44 AM »

Judging by this thread http://board.pathea.net/index.php?topic=4110.0
There appears to be more switches/parameters that we can use. Are these possible to add into the config file?
I ask purely because now with steam having come online the amount of people in the multiplayer lobby has grown by a factor of 20 and it would be nice to have some control over our servers rather than them just being a free for all.
We have some admin controls already built in but since that only works if you run the server from within the client it would be nice to be able to access these with a dedicated server.

Thanks.

wallofchaos

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »

I can host but NO one can join. On another note. Lag on servers is RIDICULOUS. We need a HOSTING service for the ppl that want a LAG free Server. Please impliment this. Partner with a company that will host these servers. Let us pay for it. At this point of the game it is VERY Unplayable in multiplayer and the single player "missions" are very broke.

ive tried for 2 weeks now to host my own server and it WILL NOT work. it shows in the list but we cant connect. Ive forwarded ports. turned off firewalls for troubleshooting purposes. Nothing works. How are all these people hosting servers? Ive read how to set it up 20 times. I made a run.bat.  Which contains.

PE_Server.exe -batchmode "4" "" "" "wallofchaos" "wallofchoas" "PatheaMap" "260" "0" "9900" "True" "6789" "1" "2" "0" "1"

Feel free to try to join. Its hard to find poeple sometimes to test things.

On  a side note I can connect using lan. I take it all other PC's on the network need to be on LAN as well?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:21:09 PM by wallofchaos »

Poundsy

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »

Lets understand something first. It is still Alpha, that means if you are unaware that features are still being implemented and current features will improve and change. Multiplayer is still young and needs work. The lag issues are known issues. Partnering with a hosting company does no one any favors - It prevents us who own our own hardware from using it and I really think making people pay for servers while a game is in alpha is just wrong - I'm looking at you rust... assuming that's what you mean. It's also worth noting that a proper hosting company will make very little if any difference since there is a large number of dedicated servers running PE in datacenters that still have the same issue. It's an coding thing.

Telling us things WILL NOT work and providing absolutely no information at all helps no one especially you.
I'm willing to bet you haven't bothered to look up a site like http://portforward.com/ and actually checked to make sure your ports on your router are forwarded correctly, nor any site that guides you how to allow programs through your firewall.
Almost every issue is a problem with firewalls or ports not being forwarded correctly.

I suggest you start with the above. Also some have reported forwarding ports 8800 - 8815 also helps.

HolyGoblin

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 03:49:27 PM »

Hello,

what are the keys for the password and the admin user in json?

Cheapbullets

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »

Any chance on updating the list as it changes?

The defaults are not correct and are contradictory.
coop game mode with 2 teams?

SoullessDreamer

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:35 PM »

Any chance on updating the list as it changes?

The defaults are not correct and are contradictory.
coop game mode with 2 teams?

Yes please!

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:08:12 PM by SoullessDreamer »

zyg0tic

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:27:49 AM »

Where are the server/world-state files stored on disc?

I'd like to be able to make backups. And also Id like to be able to transfer the world files over to another pc and run the server from that pc.

Latspl

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 08:12:01 AM »

Add in the first post - GameType: 2(Survival)

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 08:51:04 AM »

yea,.. but what are the differences between cooperative and survival mode, in a multiplayer game? VS mode seems pretty self explanatory... but does survival same as the others, just more like FFA?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:59:31 AM by Silentone98 »

ylluminate

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 04:22:02 AM »

Same here, would love to see some updates for the new options in the json config file. 

One thing I noted was that when I was in `~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Planet Explorers/Server` I could start the server up with custom config settings via:
`./PE_Server.app/Contents/MacOS/PE_Server ./ConfigFiles/ServerConfig.conf`

I found it odd that when the PE_Server graphical interface popped up and one of the lines following several lines of "Resource bound data is error!4,1,0,0,0", I saw the following
./ConfigFiles/ServerConfig.conf

So it appeared to have actually started with that config, BUT the last line in the file "SeverInfo--" gave different values than what I had set within the `ConfigFiles/ServerConfig.conf` file...

Would really appreciate some information regarding what arguments to give the server bin and why this is not working out right.  The goal here is to run a server perpetually on a dedicated server machine that will leave our world up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:39:57 AM by ylluminate »

freelikegnu2

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 05:59:52 AM »

I set terrain and vegetation to 5 and spawned in a jungle biome. Please update the OP with new settings and some explanation.

Many thanks!
Pages: [1] 2