Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Screw this, I think I'm gonna buy a desktop.....  (Read 3285 times)

djnicke

• Enlistee
  • WTF do I do now?
    • View Profile
    • listen to my mixes while you play
Screw this, I think I'm gonna buy a desktop.....
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

Hello,

This is nothing to do with the game, I am resigned to the fact that I have to buy a new computer, there is no easy solution to my problem. I am going to spend my hard earned dollars on a desktop this time, I need some awesome graphics so I can crank everything full for PE.

I love this game, simple. I love to play it all day on my day off sometimes, not so simple. I have a 3 year old Acer Aspire 5750G 4 gig RAM i7. It's not great but seems ok right? so after about 20 minutes or so it gets really hot and shuts itself down. This is a safety feature I guess, I have tried everything, cleaned out the vents, cooler pads, I had 2 fans and an air con with a frozen pack of peas in a towel on it... it defrosted the peas and turned itself off.

It does this for pretty much any game now, never used to. As it still works for everything else there's nothing the warranty can help me with. I was cursing at first but now I realise it's just time to upgrade. I haven't bought a computer before (yeh I'm a noob), someone else chose this laptop for me.

Any recommendations on hardware? Are there laptops designed for 12 hour gaming sessions that wont get too hot? If I do buy a laptop for some reason again it would not be an Acer and this picture is why....

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m613/djnicke/peeeheat.png

thanks in advance
"What's in it for me?"

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Screw this, I think I'm gonna buy a desktop.....
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »

without more specifics, I wouldn't be able to give a fair or accurate opinion on your current rig.

Which i7 processer are you using? there are many different models of varying ability(personally I like the i5 quads best for gaming tho out of that kind of processor... i7 potential isn't realized in the gaming industry very much and can hinder you more often than help currently. If you look at your CPU usage, 10% while running PE, your probally running 1 core out of like 8, and there isn't always an easy fix for this, depending on the game. LUCKILY, I don't think PE uses much processing power, very little actually.)

what speeds are your RAM sticks? access speed is more important than amount of gigs a ramstick holds,.. although you could stand to get a couple more gigs RAM I think- 4 is on the light side these days.
and no mention of your graphics card.. which I can only assume is a crappy-semicrappy integrated card, as is typical of most laptops.

yes, laptops get hot usually when gaming for any length of time.... how well they handle it widely varies- but I personally would not trust a laptop for serious gaming.

I recommend building your own PC for the savings... plus most often you can build a PC more powerful than a store bought PC at the same price(your doing something wrong if this isn't the case).
But you don't sound like that is an option for you. If it is, you can message me and I can help you figure something out- alternatively, there are sites that actually offer this kind of advice in a rather timely and accurate manner, and would likely give better advice than myself... I think Tomshardware forums? cant remember for sure. I'd try them even if building your own isn't an option.. they'll gladly work with the conditions you set.

And with anything, research before making any purchases, no matter who told you what.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:42:45 PM by Silentone98 »

djnicke

• Enlistee
  • WTF do I do now?
    • View Profile
    • listen to my mixes while you play
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »

Thanks for this!, good advice I think I will build my own...

we have this place here...

http://msy.com.au/

hopefully they will know what they are talking about.
will check out those forums you mentioned also.

btw my video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. PE runs great while it stays on!

thanks again mate, I appreciate your help!

"What's in it for me?"

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 01:14:27 AM »

huh,... well with that setup- I'd assume your current rig could play most anything. Maybe not top of the game, but certainly without issue so long as you don't run into the games that the i7 struggles on(and those issues may be less than I remember anyhow, since it's been some time)

by the way- when I said build your own, I meant buy the individual pieces and plug them all in yourself. Just clarifying in case I wasn't clear.

I for example went to Newegg.com and bestbuy and had all my parts delivered to me individually. took about a week. at 1,000 dollars I built something that would normally cost me 1,500-2,000 dollars.
If you have a website do it, they might charge you more since they got to build something custom.. don't know for sure since I never did it- but my dad did and when I checked his receipt I told him that I could have built him that much cheaper with same parts. (his was one of those ridiculously overpriced computers,... 5,000-10,000... something like that, cant remember)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:17:09 AM by Silentone98 »

Brenelael

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:50:34 AM »

I had the same issue with my old HP laptop that I gave to my kids when I built my new rig about a year ago. What I had to do to fix it was I had to completely disassemble the laptop, clean out the heatsink and fan and reseat the Heatsink with some Nano-Diamond paste. After that it runs cooler than when it was new. The Heatsink paste PC manufacturers use is about the cheapest crap on the market.

Untitledone

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »

Buying a desktop would be the best option if you plan to game a lot. You can build one that outperforms even the best gaming laptops for relatively cheap. You can always keep the laptop and use it for other purposes.

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »

Like Brenelael said, my first thoughts was to save your current laptop, as all the parts are not out of date.

Some new heatsink paste, a good clean, and a notebook cooler should help alot... I would hate to see you spend 1000+ dollars to find without heating issues PE still has other issues even on well built high end rigs.....

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:31:29 PM »

his issue was like 6 months ago.... im sure its all done and over with now. He hasn't even been on the forums in half a month either so not sure when he'll see the new messages.

Honestly I'd like to hear from him if he does come back. No idea what he ended up doing in the end.

cupid_the_conqueror

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »

ahh hail those who build there own PCs , its an aweosome choice! fun and waay cheaper then buying those **** rigs from future shop, best part? you acutally get the OS disc when you build it yourself, so you can wipe it agian without worry, I hate that All my friends with pre-builds don't have an os disc to clean up their slow running pcs!
the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead

also can lantoaster or whoever stop karma bombing me? its rather silly. *gets neged for 80 more* ..dammit...

BKCXb

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 01:25:47 AM »

thats definitely  a plus in building your own machine , i think if he builds his own machine he will never go back.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

go desktop if you have absolutely no need for portability, that is the only way to keep up with games because you can do video upgrades without bottlenecks.   Even if the motherboard connector changes, motherboards are cheap.  Find a local computer store that can help you and takes returns, or ask on a site like newegg for preconfigs (beware their return policy sucks but they are cheap).

Planet Explorers can be configured to use GPU or CPU for the OpenCL voxels, some have found the multicore CPU to be faster for them.   This is not true of most games, but it is nice to have that extra CPU to handle all the junk in your system tray without bogging your games down.

Liquidacid23

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »

yeah a desktop is pretty much the only way to go for gaming... you can get some pretty nice gaming laptops but they are always a few steps behind in terms of power and heat management while being a lot more expensive

if you still want some portability you can go with a small Micro-ATX formfactor set-up... you still need a monitor and AC outlet tho so you can't use it on the go like a laptop but as long as there is a monitor or TV where you are going it just plugs in and is ready for gaming... my buddy has one that's small enough to be easily carried in one hand but still a gaming powerhouse with 2 gtx780s and an overclocked i7-4790K.

ahh hail those who build there own PCs , its an aweosome choice! fun and waay cheaper then buying those **** rigs from future shop, best part? you acutally get the OS disc when you build it yourself, so you can wipe it agian without worry, I hate that All my friends with pre-builds don't have an os disc to clean up their slow running pcs!

depends who you buy it from... my roommate, who is lazy, bought her's from CyberPower and when I checked it wasn't that much more than if I had bought the parts and done it... most of the difference was in the extra 5 year warranty she bought (which is odd to me as I've never had a gaming PC last near that long before so many parts were replaced it was technically a completely different PC)... they also included not only all the OS discs and manuals but also all the adapters, wires. other extra pieces, manuals and even the slip paper inserts and stickers that came with every component she chose 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:34:08 AM by Liquidacid23 »