Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Pets  (Read 2416 times)

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Pets
« on: January 03, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »

What kinda of pets does everyone keep?

I myself have a 15 pound pure black cat... not sure what breed he is, but seems pretty normal to me. (no weird Scottish fold, siemese, hairless, or anything like that)
Name: Figoro

History:(skip if you don't care)
little backround on him, he was gifted to the family by my mother, yet presented to me as I was in grief from the death of my previous cat(also black. but white neck spot.) So I always assumed he was mine and treated him as such.
my brothers kept insisting the cat was there's as well so when it came time to get him declawed(yes it is wrong, and please do not do this to your animals if you can avoid it! my step father is an upholstery business owner and our cat ignored the posts in his youth)

well, when it came to getting him declawed I told my brothers if they wanted to stake their claim they had to pitch in their part for the surgery. They said they would but never did... so I paid for the whole thing as a teenager at the time.. didn't have a job so it wasn't exactly cheap!
so when it came to moving out, my cat naturally moved with me, from east coast America to west coast... here he almost died in a car accident,.. a rusted commercial truck popped my back tire before completely passing me and we were going at 75 mph.... it wasn't pretty... both Figoro and myself were unharmed completely despite the car being completely totaled and ripped in half O.O I swear he gave up 8 of his nine lives for us both that day.(He was sitting right at the point the car had been ripped apart... no idea how he survived!)

He then suffered thru 4 years of one of the poorest decisions of my life: my choice of roommates. That's another story onto itself, but one of the issues was their 2 dogs and 8 or more birds(lost count) and trying to work with them about solving a flea problem, which went unsolved the entire time due to their inaction, and inability to comprehend how to address fleas despite being told.  (Note: pretty sure the birds just ate any fleas that got to them)

Today he rests comfortably in an apartment all his own, shared with only me, my girlfriend and himself. He is happier than he has ever been and it gladdens me to see him finally get what he deserves.

Ironically he leaves furniture alone now, but now scratches at scratching posts despite not having his claws! weird cat.. and he learned how to punch >.>
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:21:21 AM by Silentone98 »

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
Re: Pets
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 09:02:11 AM »

I've owned many many cats over my sorta many years. First one was as a kid. Then a 2nd one as a kid. One ended up being run over a car and after that all my cats have been indoor-only. When I moved out of my parents, I started collecting stray cats. A few died, a few I gave away. We moved into a bigger house. I found more cats, sometimes while on vacations. Eventually I had a stable roster of 9.  Yes, I was one of those "cat ladies." My husband often shook his head with slight dismay. :D

Anyway, eventually those 9 all passed, the last one 4-5 years ago at the age of 19. By this time I was over 40, in a smaller house, and not as desirous of taking care of a lot of cats and their litter boxes, nor wanting a possible 16+ year commitment. I went a year without any cats. I got a couple dwarf hamsters instead. They were the cutest things, one of them in particular has so much personality (for a dwarf hamster), standing up to beg, hugging my fingers and such. Got very attached to the little bugger. Sadly, they don't live very long and soon I was petless again.

So I finally went to the shelter and picked up an adult pair of bonded cats (my husband shook his head again...). They were about six, so less time commitment. They were used to indoors, so all good. Hadn't intended to get a pair but thought they could keep each other company when I was busy. One was smaller and whitish/grey, one was bigger and all black. They were an adorable pair, very attached, often "holding paws." Then...the grey one stopped eating. No obvious diagnosis, maybe liver/stomach related. I did everything I could, down to baby food even, but he eventually just starved himself and I had to put him down. Black cat was very sad. He's a super-bonding, follows you almost like a dog type of cat and can be very vocal (think he must have some Siamese genes in there somewhere) and he still misses his buddy, I think.

Assuming he lives long, he may be my last cat. Every time I lose one, it gets harder instead of easier and I'm not sure I can take much more. So I'm enjoying Mr. Black as much as possible. :) He's not a big cat, but he's very long/tall and when standing can reach the top of the kitchen counter with his front paws. When I saw him at the shelter I zeroed in on him immediately because of his height/size. My little black panther. He likes to stand up and "hug" me, which sometimes includes dancing around the room with me because he doesn't want to let go.

My goodness, I wrote a lot more than I intended. Well, if you didn't feel like reading all that (and I wouldn't blame you, lol), here's a bunch of pics instead. :D

Mr. Black begging/hugs
http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/7/MrBlack-Beg02a.jpg

What I see when sitting on the couch. Seriously, he runs up and stares forever and ever. He wants a lap, pets, food, anything. It's adorable. Sometimes I'm watching him watch me more than I'm watching the TV.
http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/7/mrblack-041.jpg

Dwarf hamster:
http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/7/hamsters-33.jpg
http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/media/7/hamsters-38a.jpg

Andoing

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »

I myself don't own a pet but where i work there are street dogs, i do feed them and try to take as much care of them as possible

Arran

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:24:16 PM »

My Stafford, some thinks she might be dangerous due the stories bout the race, but in fact she just is such a adorable cute mellow dog, that just loves people, and doesnt get why people hate her.

And my Beagle, she and my Stafford are real sisters, they can live with each other, but certainly they cant live without each other :D

The Beagle had issues beeing a pack dog, that she didnt liked to be alone, and a friend of mine who was in a divorce had the stafford, but due the divorce she coudnt keep her at her new livingspace, so she gave Mila to me, knowing my Beagle (Kira) are allways playing together in the park when they met, and i was looking for a second dog.
So we agreed i took Mila in, and ever since these to ladies are unseperable, except when i comes down to dinner time, then they are rivals, where the Beagle is suddenly the boss.

When it comes to chewing bones, then the stafford becomes the one that steals bones from the beagle, and i need to help my beagle to keep her chewing bones :o
But i allways have to help that big musculair stafford in getting her bowl of food, or otherwise that small beagle eats her bowl empty as well.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:34:08 PM by Arran »

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:18:44 AM »

Oh wow,... thanks all for replying- I gave up on this thread when it saw no activity so didn't notice people started posting.

@Mrs.Crimson
Your cat looks very similar to mine, except mine may be a bit heavier and furrier. :)
I love black cats.

that face he makes with his neck being rubbed,... so cute.
Wish I had pictures to share :(

@Andoing
It's great that people like you give a helping hand to them... Most I do lately is pop in at the local pet store and play with the attention starved kitties lately.  :-[

@Arran
Aren't those stories grossly exaggerated? I've not much experience with dogs,.. but every one I seen out of that breed were among the friendliest dogs I seen. The nastiest was a wild wolf which for some odd reason was being kept in the back of a pet store out of sight. >.>

both great looking dogs.... I used to have a Keeshond(spelling?)
He was too old to make the move to the west coast with me. I was informed a year later of his passing :(
was particularly awful in several ways... my girlfriends grandpa died and we were at his funeral... everyone there is crying over grandpa and there I am, just got a call about my dog passing and start crying >.>
yea....... at least I blended in well?

Crixus

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »

Had a dog growing up. Was a Blue Healer sheepdog and coyote mix. I'm from Utah in the states and if you're from there, You know how bad the coyotes are. One was particularly brave and my neighbors had a box full of puppies a little while later. We named the dog Shadow since he would always trail behind us and always hide in our shadows. As he got older he loved to go hunting with my brother, father and I. Just an all around good companion and extremely loyal. 

A few months before I left for the Marines we had to give him up due to complications. Mother didn't want to take care of the dog and my father was in Iraq at the time. Still pretty bummed about it.

I wouldn't call these guys pets, but I always find them outside of my barracks on base. My buddies and I will sometimes get bored during training and tie 550 cord around them like a leash and walk them around. (I apologize in advance if the pictures turn out huge!)

I've had snakes and other things growing up as well. At my old highschool above the football field was a large rocky hill and it was just a large breeding ground for rattlesnakes. Being the dumb American kids we were, We'd always catch them and bring them home. I still don't know how none of us ended up in the ER. Ended up keeping a couple babies for a while until they grew full size then somehow the local Fish and Game Cops stopped by and picked them up. Blegh.

Liquidacid23

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »

I don't have any pics on hand but I have a reticulated python.... She's still kind of you and on the small side for her species coming in at only a little over 13 foot (4 meters) long.... it's kind of a pain because my roommates have 4 micro/mini dachshunds and a cat plus they are afraid of it so I'm not allowed to let it wander the house unless I'm home to watch it... they think it's going to eat them despite the fact I keep telling them while it is a big snake it's not that big yet and it's well fed so it doesn't bother with the other animals... it's the perfect pet for me tho as I frequently can't come home do to work for days or weeks at a time.... it makes no noise, makes almost no mess, doesn't really need a lot of human interaction, needs very little in the way of space and needs to be fed only once a week at most... as long as she's got her heat lamp (which even works off a timer) she is happy to sit in the same spot all day long

Karth

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 11:37:45 PM »

I've got a chubby 3yr old Dachshund named Doodle that insists on parking herself right up my rear (for the record, that's just fine with me.)

I've also got two Lab mixes: A 12yr old Lab/Great Dane mix named Gus and a 13yr old Lab/Mutt mix named Gracie

Silentone98

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:45:02 PM »

thx for sharing guys!