Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: New Star Trek Trailer  (Read 2200 times)

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
New Star Trek Trailer
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:46:38 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxZcxkFZZP0

Lookin' ace!

Great year for scifi, this, Pacific Rim, Oblivion, and After Earth.

Blackmoor

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: New Star Trek Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »

It looks like a fun action/adventure movie. I wanna see it, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 07:05:41 PM »

I liked the first one, despite my constant grumbling about "alternate timelines" changing the world canon so dramatically. Doesn't really feel like Star Trek to me anymore. New one was a good action flick tho, so I enjoyed it on that level, plus the inside jokes and references.

Was feeling "wait for on-demand cable" about the sequel, until Benedict showed up. It's not just that I love that actor, but I must know what character he's playing. I don't think it'll be Khan, but since they kept hinting us old fans would at least recognize the character from somewhere, maybe some obscure chr. from the old series. I must know! It's driving me mad. :D

Thunderbird

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:02:55 PM »

personally, even though i grew up on the old star trek (well, TNG and voyager really), i like the reboot a lot
i always thought the old star trek is WAY too touchy feely, this is more to my liking - even though i have to always keep in mind that this is a alternate timeline

MerkerBenson

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:19:07 PM »

It's more than an alternate timeline, they changed EVERYTHING, including how the ship looks, engineering, aliens(except vulcans there are no races from the original ST). They just put the names in and made a chaotic action movie, not even sci-fi. Seems that happens with everything, from movies to series to games. Example who can even tell Dragon age 2 is the sequel to 1, or elder scrolls or The thing movie or Aliens Prometheus or Aliens game etc etc etc I could go on for days but the fact remains that people just don't have new ideas or the ability to build on older ones so they mutate good ideas into unrecognizable hibrids that make no sense but appeal to what the social experts nowadays call "the many who are not so smart as the few"....

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 01:07:16 AM »

I think name recognition and profitability are big reasons for the way (much) media has gone the way it has. That is, they don't seem to know how to/or can't do things cheaply anymore, so when it comes to spending 50million, 100million, 200million to make a movie, they aren't willing to take a risk on new IP's, ideas, or move away from popular trends/demands.

The exact same thing is happening to the game industry, imo...(games that sell 1 million copies are "failures"...) but I'm not sure the game industry can survive it as well for as long as the movie industry can.

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »

So I saw the Star Trek film a while back ... anyone else?

I liked the first half a fair bit, but towards the end I started to feel pretty disappointed. Humor bits worked great, action was fine for action ... but they really took the altered but parallel timeline thing a bit too far re: Kirk and Spock. That was not what I wanted to see.

Also, super-emotional Spock is not ok with me. There's a certain moment where he does this scream that made me cringe-laugh. And Spock/Uhura romance still bugs me to death.
That said ... Benedict Cumberbatch makes an awesome villain. He needed to have an even bigger role in the film than he did. :P