My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Cheesy Voice Acting  (Read 1878 times)

Archimedes

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Cheesy Voice Acting
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:32:43 AM »

Anyone agree slightly? I just find people had little enthusiasm when saying their lines, it was quite tedious. Again, does anyone agree, so I don't think I am crazy?
Happy to be a part of Planet Explorers.

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
Re: Cheesy Voice Acting
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:44 AM »

Keep in mind, this is an  Indie studio.  I'd wager 1/2 the characters with lines are actually staff members and coders.  So give them a break.
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

Veltaras

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

I tend to agree but I was thinking along the same lines as Malus.  I am happy voice acting exists all at all :)

Malus Tepes

• Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 08:46:27 AM »

I know a lot of us are all willing to donate our voices for the game.   Maybe I'll have to make that a contest haha!

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »

They are in character....nobody wanted to crash land and they are not enthusiastic about having to survive.  I am actually amazed of the amount of audio and the quality of recordings for an alpha indy.  Not just voices, turn down the music and listen to the grasslands.

I really do not want to hear crowd sourced audio, nothing kills immersion faster than having to listen to different background noise in badly recorded audio.  I don't care how enthusiastic an actor the fan voice is, you cannot overcome the painfully bad voice mic they thought sounded good on their tiny computer speakers.   Being a fan does not make one an actor.

This is also why I hate voice chats in character for RPG, hard for me to pretend you are the mighty wizard when your wife and kids are yelling at you to get off the computer, and I hear your air conditioning, dogs barking, and police sirens going off.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:53:45 PM by yarnevk »

Archimedes

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:48:22 PM »

I didn't mean to sound like I didn't appreciate the fact there were voices within the game, I was just wondering if any of it was subject to change. I completely agree with your answers. The enthusiasm not so much. When I said that, I meant it just sounded like they weren't even trying to voice the emotions being expressed by the character.
Happy to be a part of Planet Explorers.

Malus Tepes

• Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 04:54:55 AM »

They are in character....nobody wanted to crash land and they are not enthusiastic about having to survive.  I am actually amazed of the amount of audio and the quality of recordings for an alpha indy.  Not just voices, turn down the music and listen to the grasslands.

I really do not want to hear crowd sourced audio, nothing kills immersion faster than having to listen to different background noise in badly recorded audio.  I don't care how enthusiastic an actor the fan voice is, you cannot overcome the painfully bad voice mic they thought sounded good on their tiny computer speakers.   Being a fan does not make one an actor.

This is also why I hate voice chats in character for RPG, hard for me to pretend you are the mighty wizard when your wife and kids are yelling at you to get off the computer, and I hear your air conditioning, dogs barking, and police sirens going off.

This is beyond true.  But, there's a reason I said maybe.  Because maybe I wouldn't since another Animal Creation Contest, a naming contest, or perhaps a Building Creation Contest would be more appropriate.

Elenoe

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

mood of voice actors don't bother me that much. Not super cool but a lot better then nothing. I've just noticed some (quite a lot) bad recording quality lines. And it sounds quite strange when one sentence sounds like studio recording and the very next sentence sounds like headset microphone. Almost hard to say if it's the same person speaking.