Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Author Topic: Andhera Riders, for hardcore adventure  (Read 2640 times)

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Andhera Riders, for hardcore adventure
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »

Decided to play some adventure mode since new release forthcoming and I do not want to get deeper into story mode since that will be testing a lot of new features for next release.

Got lucky with a seed that had a nice thick forest spawn for your starting wood and to hangup the mobs, with a meadow full of healing flowers (patrolled by birds and packs though!).  As I was running away from the packs I ended up in a high mesa that only solitary critters get up there so was easier to survive once I got my bow.  Took the top layer off the mining node up there and discovered it had everything short of diamond in it, gold, petrol, coal, silver, copper, aluminum, iron.

The only problem is the starting box is too generous with 50 revive shots and a ton of meat for a buying spree, compensating for the starting area mobs not being nerfed like they are in story mode, but leads to repeatedly reviving your way thru the death packs to survive and buying the good stuff out of the box. The shots actually make things worse than if you had medpacks because you end up tired and hungry, I was really hurting for food, apples and nuts as I was not getting enough fat for sausages (lots of devil wolves and fire bears running with the hares).  SO I am OK with shots in hardcore play, just not so many, if you can make one you can have it.

So I am seriously thinking about trying the permadeath idea of drop everything but your knife.   Like story mode side quests you would have to start making your wood tools and heals, but it is much harder because the starting mobs are all pack aggro.  Only store purchases is scripts.   The challenge is to survive till you find the good mining then you will probably have it made after that if you have the meat to buy the good scripts.   If you respawn then delete and start over, upto you if you want to try the same seed again, or roll somewhere else.

I think I can troll some runt hares with my knife by lurking in the forest to slowly get meat and fat for sausages and scripts (I did it OK in story mode), the wood scripts are cheap enough.  Get situated then make a survival run for the mining mesa.    Although I would prefer replicator have the scripts with no store at all to avoid temptation to buy food stocks, you are the idiot that skipped survival class so buying scripts makes it harder as you need both meat and resources to survive, just pretend you are not buying scripts but powering your replicator scripts with meat or something.   Also I would really  like a script for the storage chest Doc had as I hate personal inventory stack clutter, even though it does not slow you down.

Anyone else up for trying a challenge while they wait out the next release?   If you are not finding such nicely setup worlds I will give out my seed, but prefer people explore and discover others first because that is what adventure is about.  I like reading logs of other adventures, though I find they take a lot of time to write when I could be adventuring, so I usually do not do them myself.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:26:12 AM by yarnevk »

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Hardcore adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

Moving this to the clan board....Not so people can survive together in multiplayer, this is about single player play-style.  Survival is easier if someone is watching your back after all, feel free to play with your friends this way, just don't brag about it here while we suffer eating nuts.

So if you have done Gerdy's survival course and are honest about not buying stacks of shots to survive, and are willing to help others figure out how to survive or writing inspirational stories of your adventure, this is the thread for it.

This is not the place for demanding implementation of hardcore features, unless you have $30K to make up that hardcore stretch goal shortfall you are on your personal honor not to cheat your adventure.  {EDIT} seems post kickstarter did reach that goal, which explains why they had a recent long thread for requests for adventure mode with someone assigned to it.  Still such things belong in suggestion forum, so  go thru the archives to see what has already been suggested.

A recent hint appeared on the forum about potential Marian allies.   The poo-throwing monkeys and spitting giraffes are often willing to leave their kills for you.    Got some juicy firebear steak that I put out of its misery with my wood bow thanks to that!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:44:10 PM by yarnevk »

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »

Moving this to the clan board....Not so people can survive together in multiplayer, this is about single player play-style.  Survival is easier if someone is watching your back after all, feel free to play with your friends this way, just don't brag about it here while we suffer eating nuts.

So if you have done Gerdy's survival course and are honest about not buying stacks of shots to survive, and are willing to help others figure out how to survive or writing inspirational stories of your adventure, this is the thread for it.

This is not the place for demanding implementation of hardcore features, unless you have $30K to make up that hardcore stretch goal shortfall you are on your personal honor not to cheat your adventure.  {EDIT} seems post kickstarter did reach that goal, which explains why they had a recent long thread for requests for adventure mode with someone assigned to it.  Still such things belong in suggestion forum, so  go thru the archives to see what has already been suggested.

A recent hint appeared on the forum about potential Marian allies.   The poo-throwing monkeys and spitting giraffes are often willing to leave their kills for you.    Got some juicy firebear steak that I put out of its misery with my wood bow thanks to that!

A clan is meant for multiplayer or a group of people getting together for a reason.   Unless you are making a clan dedicated to single player...   in which, you guys better post All the amazing things you do in single player adventure 'hardcore' mode.
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »

OK Malus thinks its not a clan if it has no name.

So if you are interested playing with this playstyle, please suggest a more proper name to identify yourself as being hardcore, if nothing more to help Pathea know who the hardcore stretch goal was for.

My first bad idea ... "We Be Monkeys Too."

or maybe "Andhera Riders", but I got that title for being a judge and I doubt Malus is going to be so freewheeling with the titles....

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:14:01 PM by yarnevk »

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 02:12:58 AM »

I guess I have time to do a RP log.....a bed script cost 10 meat and I have 3...but buying an axe script was worth it.
------------

SCREECH!

Gerdy, all right I am awake!  No need to yell......except this hideous face was not Gerdy...and I was not in the shuttle seat.   That was how my day started, and this is how it ends listening to these screeches.   

I am huddled above a cave  which seems to be home to this golden monkey, whom I have taken to calling Gerdy.  I have my back against a hastily made wood wall with nothing but the crackling of my last torch to drown out the other screeches....

The screeches became alarms ringing on the shuttle as I heard Gerdy say I'm punching you out kid, tell my brother I love him if you ever find him....then as I floated down to the tree tops I saw a streak of light rise up from the planet and hit the other wing and the shuttle...the shuttle became one of the clouds.  This monkey had not the smarts to grab the survival box under the seat, I can only conclude it dragged me here, guess the surveys had it wrong that there was no sentient life here.  Hmm, maybe this is its food store and I am being saved for a feast?

I have but the survival knife in my backpack. Good enough to get some trees to make this shelter, and yes was good enough to kill.  I was only trying to pick some of those flowers and this squirrel like hare, maybe half the size of the monkeys was there collecting nuts and fruits and my monkey friend started throwing things at it.  And no it tasted more like turkey sausage than chicken, I could not bring myself to nibble on it raw like that monkey was.

My digital store is jammed and seems to have lost its resource memory, all that is left are the replicant scripts and it is stuck playing the same tune, seems the log function still works though.  On ship I was a pharmacy assistant for Doc Carter and helped him write some scripts to use flowers as medical supplies.  Now?   I am hungry, cold, and wet as I mournfully look up at the stars that are now so far far away.  The sky is slightly grey, seems to be a moonrise.   Looks a lot like Earth used to actually.   

Wow this is beautiful, these mushroom trees have spots that catch the morning light.    My neighbor is making noise again....guess it is time to see what we can find for breakfast.   I will leave a log chip here, if anyone else survived and stumbled on my shelter, I am going to head west to the higher ground.   Saw far I have only seen grazers about, so I should be OK....

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 03:25:06 AM »

That was fun.   Ran with a pack of monkeys got lots of hares and stags.   

Got lost running thru the forest trying to evade sonic birds and devil wolves, then it got dark and I could not find my fort.   Rather than stopping and making a new one for the nite, I ran from Andhera.  I am sure you can figure out the rest of the story.... It is too easy to cheat with respawns in adventure mode, it just dumps you right back where you was with no mobs, better off than if you had taken a shot.   

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
Re: Andhera Riders, for hardcore adventure
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »

>.>...
Well you hardcore Andhera Riders are approved by all points for me.   Just make sure you post awesome things... and get other people to post here as well
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.