Pathea Games Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Planet Explorers Released!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Loading Old Saved Game after an Update  (Read 14437 times)

norab7

• Global Moderator
  • Settler
  • "The longer the description the more help it is"
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
Loading Old Saved Game after an Update
« on: July 19, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »

Hi EVERYONE... :D

------------------------------------------------------------
TL:DR - Please don't post a bug from a saved game until you've found that same bug when you've started FRESH
------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to just put this topic here because there have been A LOT of comments about bugs when LOADING a saved game from an OLD RELEASE.
What i mean is that people are loading a saved game they made in a0.6 into the updated game of a0.605.

THIS MIGHT NOT WORK

If you find a bug, a problem or something that just isn't right when you have LOADED FROM AN OLD SAVE please don't post a topic about it on the forums until you have tried that part of the game from new.

When i say From New, i mean that you should start a new game and go back through everything back to the point at which you found the bug. If the bug is still present in the game,Then you should make a post about it

Also, unless the DEVS themselves have stated that old saves are working on new releases, just assume they don't work.

If you have to make everything again and again, welcome to alpha testing. More than likely you will have to do this countless times. If you have been here since a0.1, you will know what i mean.

nora
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:46:13 AM by Dorist1 »
nora
"Apparently Humans have 5 fingers on one hand, not 4"
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1064/1514984641.jpg

stinkycheeseman

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Old Saved Game after an Update
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:02:11 PM »

This becomes a bit problematic with Steam in the mix. As Steam will auto-update PE in the background, with no notification unless you happen to be looking at your Steam library at the time the app is updating. It's very easy to just go to the game and launch without realizing there has been a incremental update since you played last.

With this requirement for starting a New Save after every update, and Steam auto-update, there needs to be some in-game notification that the game has been updated and that the current saves are out of date. Basically, we need an obvious prompt in-game, to let us know we need to start fresh when an update occurs.

Yes we can disable auto-update in Steam, but this is one of the best benefits of Steam imo (games are ready to play when you are), and re-training all the new Steam users to check and manually update every time they play seems like it would be more work and less successful than a simple Savegame check, and resulting warning dialogue.

Malus Tepes

• Dark Lord of Pathea Contests
  • Global Moderator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Leader of the New Marians
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »

The game will still be decently functional between patching builds, such as .71 to .72.  Any major quest fixes may require you to start over, but if you havn't reached them then it shouldn't be a big problem.  This is more of a problem when we transition from a .72 build to .80 build which will be a major difference and the entire map will have changed.
I am the Head of the New Marians Guild.

Worfedia_P_Explorer_02

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

It would have been nice to have been warned about this before the patch!
Spent an hour working through old saves to see if I could get an earlier one to work after last save wouldn't load properly ...

Neato

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:16:45 AM »

What constitutes as a fresh start?

Just any of the single player options that aren't "load"? Nothing carries over between them? I'm asking this because I started adventure and had gotten all the schematics and I can't tell if it gave me the ones I had in story since I had all of them in story too.

Furud

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »

Thanks!  Just started playing and noticed this at the A0.8 update.  My old save couldn't even get past the loading screen, would get stuck at 0%.  I will keep it in mind when I get back to the same spot.

Let's see how far I get this time.  ;D

PLAT77

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Load Saved game
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »

After the update I can not load a saved game in the main menu button---continue--- and --- download--- not active!!!! What I already 53 hours played!!!!

ikbon123

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »

Hello, I'm enjoying the Planet Explorers always.
the other day, After the update, my savedata has been deleted.
When the data is gone, I was troubled very much.
Can you improve?
I'm sorry to say selfish opinion.
I wrote a comment using the translation site.
So, I'm sorry if you do not know the meaning.
development your hard work.

Artisakar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »

Hi.

Now I don't know if the game have updated or not. I gathered all materials required and built a vehicle.
I quit the game, had some hours off- and when I tryed to load the game it froze at 100% .. When it starts to load I can
hear some breathing noizes, followed by animal/monster sounds. This goes on even after the freeze at 100% . When I press
"J" (I think- the building menu keybind) I can access the building menu. Nothing else works- and when I exit the building menu
I am back at the 100% freeze. Should i consider my savegame lost?

Artisakar

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 05:10:06 PM »

This was yesterday. was there an update yesterday?

sillls

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:39:42 PM »

This becomes a bit problematic with Steam in the mix. As Steam will auto-update PE in the background, with no notification unless you happen to be looking at your Steam library at the time the app is updating. It's very easy to just go to the game and launch without realizing there has been a incremental update since you played last.

With this requirement for starting a New Save after every update, and Steam auto-update, there needs to be some in-game notification that the game has been updated and that the current saves are out of date. Basically, we need an obvious prompt in-game, to let us know we need to start fresh when an update occurs.

Yes we can disable auto-update in Steam, but this is one of the best benefits of Steam imo (games are ready to play when you are), and re-training all the new Steam users to check and manually update every time they play seems like it would be more work and less successful than a simple Savegame check, and resulting warning dialogue.

Guys.  I just wanted you all to know that if you go into STEAM settings.  You can change when you want updates to accrue.  Just take it out of automatic and the game (will not) automatically update when a new game comes out. 

Sukent

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 03:47:18 PM »

Hi there, I can not load a saved game in the main menu  (button "continue"--- and --- "load"--- not active!!!!) (0.871)

I just restarted my computer few hours ago(There was a small STEAM update itself), then tragedy came.

I can find out the savedata files in the hard disk but not in game :'(

What can I do now?

Dorist1

• Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 03:35:23 AM »

Make sure your network server offers DMZ functions. If you have run a VPN, then it might be the VPN's problem.

Verayth

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 04:32:19 AM »

Telling STEAM to stop updating the game no longer works.  It now forces a game to update before it will launch unless you put it in offline mode.  So to get around this, can the devs please add previous major branches as selectable from the game properties BETAS tab like "Dig or Die" does?

bobyjoy

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 12:23:02 AM »

i have notice even after starting a new game in the most recent update that the mission proximity radar still has Nan saying work in progress then the mission finishing is this mission main story ore side quest that will be finished in later update?
Pages: [1] 2