My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mining Robot  (Read 9095 times)

zyziz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Robot
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

I'm not quite sure how you would designate what the thing could dig / instruct it. Other than that it's a pretty solid idea to me.

Klootspel

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »

I'm not quite sure how you would designate what the thing could dig / instruct it. Other than that it's a pretty solid idea to me.

Maybe like you can build with blocks but instead of going up, it digs and the color could be yellow or something. You could make pretty cool caves with that..

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 08:23:18 PM »

That is what gazz proposed months back, that you could have a mining/digging bot later in the game (at greater support/build expense of course) that would be more automated using voxel hologram outlines like when you build voxels.

Still think my enslave the natives is a much more fun idea though, did nobody here watch the original stargate movie?

Klootspel

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:29 AM »

Still think my enslave the natives is a much more fun idea though, did nobody here watch the original stargate movie?

That would be cool too. And they are bigger so also stronger :D.
And who hasn't..

Evmeister

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »

I still want native enslavement too, or....peace, alliance, trade with the natives. Native soldiers work with you and guarding your bases. Because if those huge towering laser spewing robot things are any indication, you're gonna need a lot of help.
Check out The Mandate! Funding will continue till march so you can still back and help towards stretch goals. http://www.mandategame.com/

VotanPhasor96

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »

How about a mining robot?

An automated system to collect ore

oh this would rock! maybe even defense robots or hunting bots, anything!

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

I prefer mechs than bots...maybe the size in that recent movie can move lots of earth when it is not giving the smackdown to giant Marians while accidently destroying towns....

Yuki-chan

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »

How does this not get stuck in a ditch like my vehicles?  Maybe a hover-bot?!?

AS long as it is realistic and not fake science and by real I mean
ftl IS possible
Lasers ARE real
Life on other planets IS possible
Anti-gravity Vehicles NOT real

SO if there are hover cars it will use a low power VTOL engine to keep it up and Not magic

AND yes the laws of physics do allow FTL travel But only in the form of Warp drives similar to those in star trek OR if you can get enough energy you could theoretically create an artificial wormhole
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 05:00:31 PM by Yuki-chan »

Weeman0000

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »

If you have to teleport the robot around you can just replace it with a mining satellite.
It shoots a mining death ray from orbit and beams the minerals back down to a nearby base.

But this is not fun...  a good pathfinding is the beste solution.

it can hover to prevent it from falling into ditches and also have a drilling machine (or laser) to cross mountains.
there are a lot of fun solutions :D

What is the difference between an autobot and a mining sateliite?  They both harvest without you having to be there.   The same result could be accomplished by giving your NPC a pick.   Or even better for the plot, you enslave the Marians and force them to work the mines!

I actually like his idea of enslavement, anyway we can get that in the game? Attack Punjab settelements or raid them. Capture their warriors and then enslave them or show them you are the superior race, to where they revere you as a god and become your undying faithful soldiers. They then will fight for you to try to convince and convert their bretheren!

"convert their bretheren" in what respect? curb-side abuse? they can call them self the Westboro Baptist Church LOL

ALStaysHome

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »

How about a mining robot?
An automated system to collect ore

I thought about this again today, and really like it. Thought I would add my two cents, and applaud you! I would like to see an automated drill, like a mining drill we have IRL but without the need for a driver. Set the direction and distance and let it go. Perhaps be able to limit and expand the width of the drill as well so. Or start with a small drill bot that only cuts a path of 2' wide by 10' high, and work up to bots that cut 10' by 10' or the like. Just examples, obviously. Have a hopper cart behind it to hold ore, so we have to build that as well, or just let it keep pulling ore into large stacks like our inventory does now.

-Al

Elenoe

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2013, 09:31:17 AM »

ftl IS possible
ftl has never been proven (and I don't mean constructed). Warp used to travel is not valid theory and is in dispute. It is said that you cannot make warp "bubble" with engine within and if the engine is outside they would need to travel in normal space. Also current "research" uses relativity concept while StarTrek used another dimension (and not in a working way). Travel through blackhole (in one piece) is pure fantasy.

Life on another planet is possible. But it's impossible humans survive ANY other self-developed biosphere. If you crash on unknown life populated planet you die. End of story :) (see War of Worlds for a reason).

Antigravity is in the same state as warp drives. Just concepts. We don't really know how gravity works. We make model that somewhat fits calculations but we truly don't know. No energy interaction (fifth force concept) or particles (gravitons) was observed yet.

So antigravity vehicle using antigravitons to repel matter is perfectly ok for Planet Explorers :) (ionocrafts can be also used :) )

ALStaysHome

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 03:07:11 PM »

ftl IS possible
ftl has never been proven (and I don't mean constructed). Warp used to travel is not valid theory and is in dispute. It is said that you cannot make warp "bubble" with engine within and if the engine is outside they would need to travel in normal space. Also current "research" uses relativity concept while StarTrek used another dimension (and not in a working way). Travel through blackhole (in one piece) is pure fantasy.

Life on another planet is possible. But it's impossible humans survive ANY other self-developed biosphere. If you crash on unknown life populated planet you die. End of story :) (see War of Worlds for a reason).

Antigravity is in the same state as warp drives. Just concepts. We don't really know how gravity works. We make model that somewhat fits calculations but we truly don't know. No energy interaction (fifth force concept) or particles (gravitons) was observed yet.

So antigravity vehicle using antigravitons to repel matter is perfectly ok for Planet Explorers :) (ionocrafts can be also used :) )

Loved this! I was wondering if, rather than actual anti-gravity, vehicles could use some sort of electromagnetic engine to move themselves away from the planets surface using the magnetic field of the planet itself. It's farfetched, of course, but in the game we've also colonized another planet fully (Mars) and moved 12 light years away from our Solar System to start colonizing a third. A fully developed electromagnet 'repulsor' for lack of a better word seems well within the range of that sort of technological society.

But what do I know? LOL

-Al

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • I'm in your brains, thinking your thoughts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2013, 04:02:36 PM »

If anti-gravity "wheels" make sense ingame, it can happen.

Games don't require a scientific theory to base features on. That's why there can be pig guns. (guns that shoot exploding pigs)
Lord Corrector of the Universe? Yep, that's me!

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »

I beg your pardon, but we'll never have guns that shoot exploding pigs. Exploding monkeys, maybe, but not pigs.

There will actually be pigs in the game. 3 little pigs, in fact. <<< I'm not kidding, they'll be the rarest items in the game.

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • I'm in your brains, thinking your thoughts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »

Oh, ok. I thought the exploding flying monkeys were for the homing version.
Lord Corrector of the Universe? Yep, that's me!
Pages: 1 [2] 3