My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mining Robot  (Read 9079 times)

dreatern

• Colonist
    • View Profile
Mining Robot
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »

How about a mining robot?

An automated system to collect ore

steam:  dreatern

MerkerBenson

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mining Robot
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »

Nicely presented concept!

Zifei did say something about a future structure or similar automated method of mining ore for the enlarging settlement, but for now everything is in concept phase.

Cheers

drantorsmith

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:48 PM »

How does this not get stuck in a ditch like my vehicles?  Maybe a hover-bot?!?

dreatern

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »

How does this not get stuck in a ditch like my vehicles?  Maybe a hover-bot?!?

With better pathfinding system or just teleport the robot

lambertraynard

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »

YES PLEASE!!!!!!

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • I'm in your brains, thinking your thoughts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:57:01 AM »

If you have to teleport the robot around you can just replace it with a mining satellite.
It shoots a mining death ray from orbit and beams the minerals back down to a nearby base.
Lord Corrector of the Universe? Yep, that's me!

dreatern

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:27:15 AM »

If you have to teleport the robot around you can just replace it with a mining satellite.
It shoots a mining death ray from orbit and beams the minerals back down to a nearby base.

But this is not fun...  a good pathfinding is the beste solution.

it can hover to prevent it from falling into ditches and also have a drilling machine (or laser) to cross mountains.
there are a lot of fun solutions :D

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

it can hover to prevent it from falling into ditches and also have a drilling machine (or laser) to cross mountains.

What is the difference between an autobot and a mining sateliite?  They both harvest without you having to be there.   The same result could be accomplished by giving your NPC a pick.   Or even better for the plot, you enslave the Marians and force them to work the mines!

dreatern

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 01:41:15 PM »

the difference is the amusement of building a robot, control and use it

with satellite you have a laser or something pointed at one point, boring :D  NPCs are also boring, they are common LOL

Evmeister

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »

What is the difference between an autobot and a mining sateliite?  They both harvest without you having to be there.   The same result could be accomplished by giving your NPC a pick.   Or even better for the plot, you enslave the Marians and force them to work the mines!

I actually like his idea of enslavement, anyway we can get that in the game? Attack Punjab settelements or raid them. Capture their warriors and then enslave them or show them you are the superior race, to where they revere you as a god and become your undying faithful soldiers. They then will fight for you to try to convince and convert their bretheren!
Check out The Mandate! Funding will continue till march so you can still back and help towards stretch goals. http://www.mandategame.com/

Dyger

• Colonist
  • Sdrawkcab daer uoy, siht daer nac uoy fi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:07:56 PM »

How about having the battery determine the amount of time the robot remains out in the field before it has to come back for power?

Also, maybe the robot could use the hover propellers?  That way wheeled/tracked robots would be cheaper, consume less power, but have more difficulty in rough terrain while the hover bots have an easier time with terrain, but are more expensive and have to recharge more often.

VegaSera

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:23:24 AM »

I imagine this kind of thing is something that someone would end up modding into the game, in the same way that buildcraft and industrialcraft was modded into Minecraft. The devs have already expressed a desire to have a modding API in place sometime before the final launch.

Sir Slush

• Colonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 05:04:58 AM »

You drew that? Nice. I like the way you presented this.
And I totally agree. While I like to mine by hand (sometimes), it gets old quickly. Especially if I have to mine a lot. Let's build a robot to do it for us.

MrsCrimson

• Settler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »

Good presentation and suggestion.

I love mining by hand, but am agreed that having an automated or robotic/vehicle option is not a bad thing...and I'd probably use one, especially in mid/later stages of the game where you're probably going to be more interested in keeping up with a lot of other things vs. spending time mining yourself.

Yoshi0351

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:23 PM »

Everything listed on our "stretch" goals, with the exception of the last 2 maybe, we plan to do anyway
The $130000 stretch goal would be great for this. just add templates for a drill/tracks/grippers/control units/general robot things, and program it yourself with like a beacon or a mineral scanner template. I'm glad to see more people want this.

oops... falied to see "programmable harvesters/robots" listed under buildings in the sticky...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:24:46 PM by Yoshi0351 »
Pages: [1] 2 3