My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Some mechanic ideas.  (Read 2289 times)

Radon18

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Some mechanic ideas.
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:23:47 AM »

So I already mentioned my idea for cosmetic chassis templates for vehicles in another thread but after a day of thinking I have come up with a few more. Tell me if any of these catch your eye.

1. Resourcing buildings.
Basically buildings you place down to harvest a certain type of resource that may be too time consuming or inconvenient to harvest by hand like oil or glass. Instead of digging around looking for oil deposits you could plonk down a oil rig and let it do the searching and harvesting for you. The buildings would be expensive, obviously, and probably use a lot of high level resources to make and you'd probably have to get your first one via quest.

2. Infrastructure buildings.
Basically the logical extension of the above idea. Instead of giving the player the blueprint for steel and have them be able to make it on the fly with some iron and a bit of wood like a living blast furnace, you have to build a sort of factory building that has the ability to make the resource you need. Not only is this more realistic it also encourages the player to build more bases around the map (extending the total play time) instead of carrying everything they own on their back. These buildings could run the gambit from low level brick furnaces to high tech factories to automated farms and would give the player a real reason to set up bases and defensive points.

3.Programmable harvesters / robots
Once you reach late game it will probably start to get pretty annoying to have to stop and chop down a bunch of trees. So why not build a robot to do it for you? This would give the game a real sense of technology progression and a sense of accomplishment for the player once they advance enough to build their first robotic lumberjack. Basically you could use the vehicle creator to design the things and then have a basic interface to tell it what to harvest, how much to harvest, and how far it is allowed to go from a certain position. (Most likely some kind of central resource dump.) You could also use the system to create armed machines to patrol a perimeter, instead of / in addition to your normal static turrets and would add an extra layer of security to any location you deployed them at. Basically the idea is to remove the need to continuously go back and gather basic resources so that the player can enjoy the late game content without annoying interruptions.

4. Buildable / placeable storage.
This one is a must. Please give us the ability to build and place our own storage containers! Its highly frustrating to run out of space with all of the various things you end up collecting while playing.

ShirraWhitefur

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Some mechanic ideas.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 04:41:01 AM »

I don't know about the third one's viability and ease of programming in.. but I -really- do like all four options, even with the thought of having the first be terribly, prohibitively expensive.   The second one appeals to the, 'I was wondering if we had those at all' idea, and I'd rather like to see them, as again, it gives you more of a reason to set up shop in this or that place, then fortify.  And storage.. who doesn't like more storage, even if only to organize what you've got? :)

- Shirra

Radon18

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 03:25:27 AM »

I dont think the third one would be TOO difficult to program, then again im not a dev. All the pieces of the system needed are already part of the game, they would just have to come together in a slightly different way to have this option work. You could use the vehicle creator to make the drones, a turret/creature attack/patrol script that is already found in the giant aliens. all that would be new is an interface to change behavior scripts.

By the way while thinking today I have thought of some specific buildings tell me what you think of these.

1. The first is the Oil rig / refinery building that harvests fuel. YOu already know about this one and know what it would probably do.

2. Electronics factory: Basically you would put copper and some plastic, maybe some gold in, tell it what specific circuit board you want it to make and have it create it for you.

3. Vehicle garage: the purpose of this building is two fold. First it would act as the vehicle assembly building, binding the vehicle creation screen to it and the main menu only. the other use is it could be a sort of vehicle storage area that stores vehicles like they are in your inventory and perhaps slowly repair the damage done to them.

4. Smelter: Basically this is a low level building, probably made of stone, where you can make higher level materials like steel.

5. Automated farm: I know farming is coming in an update before lone and i don't know how it will be implemented but wouldn't it be simpler to have a building that you just gave a plant sample to and have it slowly produce more of that variety of plant?

6. Other ideas for buildings are like community buildings town centers/ houses that spawn random NPCs to give your fortifications a sense of life about them. Or perhaps a Barracks where you can recruit Epiphany security personnel who might be better at combat than a standard NPC? The possibilities are endless.

Zifei

• The guy that runs Pathea Games
  • Administrator
  • Planetary Hero
  • Space Pirate!
    • View Profile
    • Pathea Games
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »

Some very cool ideas, some (a lot) matching our own. I'll be showing more of these designs and ideas in the Kickstarter video.

As for storage, I'm currently thinking of just giving you a store closet type of small building. There is a limit to how much we want people to carry (more strategic and less chaotic in the UI), but if we allow portable storage, then it sorta defeats that whole purpose. In the alpha, you can use the storage at Allen and Gerdy's points on the map for now.

From Hell

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »

@ Zifei : maybe add some mobile storage on vehicles or in some special armor, ever played STALKER or at least heard of the exoskeleton-armor. (whit this the maximum would be reached, so your storage improves over time but still has a maximum)

While I'm at it: add a armor (and weapon vehicle) modifier like in stalker, it is no skilltree or level system as such rate but a way to personify and improve your character to your needs (maybe the exoskeleton improve the weight to carry/ the movement speed/...same for a vehicle a weapon could be modified to shot faster more precise or do more damage)

Rover

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:24:06 AM »

Meatfarm/Cloningcentre: highend building, creates animals after gathering enough genetic material. costs other resources (maybe energy,oil, etc...)
Could also be used to revive lost (skilled) NPCs and may play a role or two in later quests

diegokilla

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 11:31:13 AM »

I really like all of these ideas. I've had some similar ones revolving around the theme of power. Basically, instead of a one time huge investment into a resource gathering building or processing building or w/e, the one time cost could be lessened and those costs could be placed in a power generating building. You could have different types of buildings that all have different costs and levels of outputs as well as different effects on the environment ie: Coal burning plant would generate relatively large amounts of power very quickly and be cheap to build, but require coal to function and also has a negative impact on the environment. ( I know I've seen somewhere on these forums one of the devs express interest in eco-balance) Alternatively, Players could build solar or wind farms that would generate low levels of power over time, and be fairly costly, but have little to no upkeep or impact on the environment. You could also tie power into defense towers as well for added challenge in defense. Steel and other high-end resources could be required to be processed in some sort of facility that would require power as well, effectively creating a tech-tree. I believe a lot of modern players enjoy this style of gameplay.
(Sorry if this post is slightly scatter-brained, I just woke up)