My Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon Creation / Design / Balancing... because cheese graters ain't weapons!  (Read 12288 times)

Helic

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

From a personal standpoint, all I would want from the design system for weapons is a cool-looking weapon for my character to run around with. It doesn't have to be better than 'stock' guns - heck, it should not be better than stock weapons. Is my character a master weapons designer?

Certainly some things should have an effect. If my weapon is made with lots and lots of iron, it should be slow attacking but do more damage when you hit. That's easy to figure out. But trying to balance a thousand different factors as to a weapon's very specific statistics...it's a lot of time and effort coding, and as someone mentioned, someone is going to come up with the ideal design and everyone will use that.

So I probably wouldn't care if my titanium sword was no better than the titanium sword I could replicate from an in-game pattern, as long as my titanium sword looked way cooler.

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
  • I'm in your brains, thinking your thoughts.
    • View Profile

From a personal standpoint, all I would want from the design system for weapons is a cool-looking weapon for my character to run around with. It doesn't have to be better than 'stock' guns - heck, it should not be better than stock weapons. Is my character a master weapons designer?

Crafted weapons should be a little better than the identical stock template. They take much more effort to produce and that should be rewarded.
Mostly they should be more flexible, though. Lateral balancing instead of strictly vertical.

Certainly some things should have an effect. If my weapon is made with lots and lots of iron, it should be slow attacking but do more damage when you hit. That's easy to figure out. But trying to balance a thousand different factors as to a weapon's very specific statistics...it's a lot of time and effort coding, and as someone mentioned, someone is going to come up with the ideal design and everyone will use that.

Yep. That's precisely what the suggested system should "fix": the (intentionally) over-complex rules of pattern repetition and such.
Lord Corrector of the Universe? Yep, that's me!

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile

Make weapon features different and modular supporting multiple playstyles, and hopefully no combo is discovered as OP and if it is it gets nerfed, the cheese graters get increasingly more complex with no plausible explain how they could possibly function as a weapon even in a sci-fi world with dinosaurs.

In Unity it is not a lot of time and effort coding, objects in Unity is entitys of modular components, with seperate systems to process each component (this is in fact why the builder starts with a piece you have to have - it is the component that is known to Unity).    Suppose you wanted a long distance UAV with a camera or a kill cam view, they need to do nothing more than add the camera component to the object and use the existing controller components (physics, keyboard, sticks, kinematics etc) to move it.   

In general you do not have to worry about the component aggregations if the parts are designed and coded properly.  It is a system that supports adhoc try this and that design that could indeed be passed thru to the player with little effort.   

It takes more effort just to hash out what the pieces and effects should be than it is to code the system especially if alpha testers all want competing conflicting things that do not 'fit' the designers vision.   Do we want 'magic' nano effects like Defiance (acid, fire, etc.) with the plausible explain that we reverse engineered the fire bear and sonic harpy and the giraffe spit?  That certainly would give a kill 100 quest purpose. What about shooting monkey poo?  :P
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:13:23 PM by yarnevk »

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
    • View Profile

Do we want 'magic' nano effects like Defiance (acid, fire, etc.) with the plausible explain that we reverse engineered the fire bear and sonic harpy and the giraffe spit?  That certainly would give a kill 100 quest purpose. What about shooting monkey poo?  :P
That's the direction I was thinking of with the "research" I mentioned briefly.
With a bunch of effects you get lots and lots of research items as well as synergies between effects... that also want to be researched.

There could be lots of hunting and researching just while exploring all the different weapon types.
And they would be different! Not just a generic +5% damage "technology"...

yarnevk

• Andhera Rider
  • Planetary Hero
    • View Profile

Speaking of monkeys - remember the dogpile screenshot?    I had the same thing happen with monkeys piled three high in a semicircle, so pack pathing is still bugged that way.    Sadly my damn followers insisted on getting in the shot and once they untangled themselves so I could take the pic, the monkey pyramid came tumbling down.  I am sure it was the same pack that derailed my fort defense, they was plotting their attack, so instead of being friendly this play thru it is war!  Just need a poo gun to fight back...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:16:44 PM by yarnevk »

Helic

• Enlistee
    • View Profile

Crafted weapons should be a little better than the identical stock template. They take much more effort to produce and that should be rewarded.

To my mind, having a cooler looking weapon is justification enough to spend the time fiddling with the editor. I'd be content to call an iron sword an iron sword no matter what it looks like. Maybe weapon stat upgrades could be learned through game play, as something you use to improve weapons you design above stock weapons (either from a research system or from an improved skills system), or there are unique materials on Maria that allow you to make weapons not found on Earth.

Gazz2

• Global Moderator
  • Citizen
    • View Profile

Along the idea of animal research, gazz posts for more interesting weapons we could have fire bear flame thrower, korona death blaster, etc.  Could be simple as kill X of them or as complex recipe as can be.  Since alchemy is fantasy RPG we need an equivalent for sci-fi.
Bring me 25 Fire Bear Hearts and I shall start researching the Flame-On Module?
Nah, that's really too fantasy.
It's just DNA. One should be plenty.

But.

One might not work. =)
So... you start the research project and supply a number of Fire Bear Hearts to do it with.
Each single item has maybe a 4% chance to lead to a successful isolation / reproduction of the ability.
If the research timer is up, the dice are rolled...

Of course, the research roll should be made immediately when you start the research project so you can't just reload the final 2 seconds until you get a successful research. =)
Pages: 1 [2]