Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: No Premade Structures?  (Read 242 times)

I Got No Skillz

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
No Premade Structures?
« on: March 21, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »

Every iso I have found either planet explorers iso's or planet explorers nexus none of the prebuilt structures work all iso's are corrupt and there is no section for built structures on multiplayer. Anyone know where I can find some premade designs that actually work, I am only playing single player.

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: No Premade Structures?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »

I have never actually tried to share building ISOs, but I do know that there are a few which were posted on the forum by other people.  Building ISOs are not like object ISOs, and so cannot be shared on the workshop like other ISOs.  You would have to download and install the ISOs manually from whatever site or forum attachment where you find them.

Building ISOs are best when they are modular, in my opinion.  I try to make my ISOs with stub-outs so that you can easily add on attachments or with colored blocks showing the outline of where equipment should be placed.  I do this mainly to make it easier for myself when I construct prefab colonies, but if you design structures that you intend to share, then you would probably want to do something like that as well.  It is also a good idea to place "alignment blocks" so that you can match up overlapping sections accurately.

There is a 100x100x100 dimension limit on saved structures, which is large enough to house a colony, but you may want to still "snap together" other sections because the dimensions of the level 3 sphere are approximately 4x that volume (~165 block radius sphere), and you may want to utilize more of that space for something or another (landing pads, MCTAL pad, monorail station, etc)

I am going to try to attach a colony HQ building to this post.  It will run all of the equipment and have room for 16 colonists (4 dwelling beds) using one power plant, if you figure out where the placement is supposed to be.  I will try making an equipment map and attach it later, if I have time.  Beds do not have to be powered, so you can place them in peripheral buildings if you want to use the dorm area for something else.

You will need to put it in Users/(yourusername)/documents/PlanetExplorers/BuildingIsos and then it should show up in your saved isos when you go to "B" Build mode, click on "Menu" then click on "ISO" to open up your saved building ISOs.  Let me know if you need help with placing buildings, if you haven't done it before.  It is not difficult, but does take some familiarity with the tools (Arrows to move in a direction, T to turn, PgUp, PgDown, left click to place).  You do NOT want to try to place it by moving the mouse, especially if you are trying to line it up with other things.

You will need to have all of the materials before you can import the structure.  The material lists tend to be glitchy, so I hope it displays correctly for you.  It will mainly take a bunch of limestone, marble, and glass, but may have a few other ores included in the design (silver, copper... I'm not sure which version of the building this is).  My display (which may not be accurate) is saying 2051 marble, 3441 limestone, 675 glass, 9 steel, and 11 copper.  The steel and copper may be ghosts and not really used in the design, but the others sound correct.  You will need petroleum and coal to make the glass, which would need to be mined from ore deposits or retrieved by mining-skilled followers (single player adventure mode only).  You can also purchase the fuel to make the glass, but it will be expensive.

You can make your own sources for marble, limestone, and sand, if you have 4 units (you can purchase 4 units of each from a vendor).  Place terrain voxels for sand, marble and limestone (any of the types will work, but grass should be used if you are placing dirt voxels, because it gives back sulfates with the dirt). Use a pick to mine it back, and you will gain more resources than you use to place the voxel.  Continue to make larger and larger stacks and use gravity to mine them down (fastest).  You want to limit the stack dimension to the size of your pick, so that you take off a layer with each hit.  This will work with wooden picks also, but it will take more hits to mine the stacks down. You should also get trace elements of iron, copper, stone, and other things when you mine the stacks, depending on the quality of your pick and the material of the stack.

One last thing... you will likely want to make a block platform to place this on, or flatten the terrain in a 100x100 area, to give yourself a nice space to work with.  NOTE: this contains no defensive emplacements.  I usually put turrets around the perimeter on 17-block-high posts, which is the approximate reach for placing the turrets while standing under them.  This helps keep them from being attacked by things on the ground, and gives them a good field of view for defense.  I try to have at least 2 turret towers (lasers are best) near each corner of the building.  You can also add a low wall around the perimeter/gates/etc to improve your defenses, and ramps down to the ground if you built it on a platform.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:59:59 PM by Omidawn »