Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Thrusters and jets!!  (Read 87 times)

jaaneman

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Thrusters and jets!!
« on: February 07, 2019, 11:23:56 AM »

tried to play a bit with thrusters and jets, and I couldn't quite understand what was their purpose.

First off - jet exhausts. My first thought was that it's needed to boost the speed of the vehicles while moving strait. But a couple of tests showed that the speed gain is insignificant, both for light and quick vehicles, and for big and heavy. My second thought was that it'll allow you to jump-fly over short distances. Still no, in all my tests I didn't manage to jump even the small canions. So I kinda in a loss of what is the point of the jet exhausts.

Next - the thrusters. First, I thought that it's just an upgraded version of the VTOL rotors for really big battleships. But they provide no maneuverability, so in the end you need to stick with the rotors anyway. And if you turn them to point backwards, you'll end up with something rather uncontrollable, as you won't be able to control speed and elevation separately.UC browser SHAREit MX player

So I wonder, what was the original idea behind these two parts?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:10:42 PM by jaaneman »

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thrusters and jets!!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:20:07 PM »

Unless things have radically changed, jets do give you a speed boost and allow you to make rocket-assisted jumps.  I'm not sure what you are doing wrong.  You are actually pressing the jet assist button, right?  The boost is only while you press and hold the key, and it does run out after about 5 seconds.  It is long enough to boost your vehicle up the side of a cliff, or to jump a chasm, for instance.

Thrusters are for aircraft only, and they provide significantly more speed than VTOL, but you do not steer with them.  I don't know if they turn on and off separately like the VTOL do.  That is, if you have vertical thrusters and horizontal thrusters, and press forward, I don't know if only the forward thrusters fire, or if you press space, if only the vertical thrusters fire.  They may all fire at once, regardless of the direction they are pointing.  I only use forward thrusters for speed, and steer with VTOL.  I angle the thrusters up 23 degrees so that they are level when the VTOL is angled forward (which drops the nose of the craft approx 23 degrees).  If you don't do this, then the thrusters will be driving you into the ground.  This also gives you a little better climb if you tilt the throttle back and then punch it forward, since it angles the thruster more vertically when you throttle back.  You can also install vertical jets to give you a vertical boost on demand.