Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: propulsion and fuel consumption!!!  (Read 134 times)

jaaneman

• Colonist
    • View Profile
propulsion and fuel consumption!!!
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:58:48 AM »

I've been busy making vehicles lately and noticed some stuff:

- my omnicopter (VTOL) that I made some time ago is now slow as hell. Did VTOL propellers loose speed? Cause now I have to not only use a lot of them to get any decent climb, I now also have to put more at a 90° angle to get any decent speed. And that drains my fuel fast. If they are that weak that I need that many of them, maybe their fuel consumption needs a cut too?

- I can make a ship without an engine, just a propeller, helm and rudder. What gives? Engine should be a requirement!
Nox VidMate Mobdro
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:31:42 PM by jaaneman »

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: propulsion and fuel consumption!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »

hehehe.  You want logic?

I'm not sure how old your builds are, but yes, you need to use max load on rotors (12) in order to get anywhere.  You can stack them to avoid absurb looking designs.

Most people do a hybrid build using thrusters for speed and rotors for lift.  You can do a build using just thrusters, but sometimes speed is a bad thing.  Rotors tilt the aircraft forward at around 23 degrees in order to provide the forward thrust.  If you mix thrusters with rotors, then you need to tilt the thrusters back 23 degrees so that they are level when moving forward, otherwise they will drive the craft into the ground when cruising.  Of course if they are tilted too far back, then you will climb to max ceiling when cruising instead of maintaining a constant altitude.  I honestly don't remember the exact number, but I think it is 23 degrees for level.  You can also add jet exhaust vertically to provide really fast climb if you think it is needed.

You do need to have both vertical and horizontal thrust for making better turns... you will have to experiment for placement and number to get the turn speed that you like.

You will also likely need to re-balance the load to avoid drift.

I put max load on fuel, always.  For a download you can trim it back and let people tweak their own fuel capacity.  Fuel cells are expensive to make, and sometimes people just want to get off the ground as quickly as possible.  2-4 cells is common on downloads, even though you really want 8, especially for scouts (really long duration).

Lastly, keep in mind that aircraft behave differently in story mode vs. in adventure mode.  You may need to have a completely separate design for story mode.  I much prefer the maneuverability in adventure mode.  In story mode, you really need to equip thrusters, and you will want 6-8 type 4 fuel cells for distance.  Keep in mind that the Bird of Prey quest will make copies of whatever design you build, so the more "equipped" your design is, the more free stuff you will get on the copies, which you can recycle after the quest.  The recycle machine breaks everything down into resources now instead of parts, but it does still give you what you need to reconstitute everything that you might want to salvage.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 04:50:57 PM by Omidawn »