Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Don't Build Too High  (Read 178 times)

popchau

• Colonist
    • View Profile
Don't Build Too High
« on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:57 AM »

I don't know if it's Unity or something, but I dun goofed. I broke my friend's MP server.

I built a gliding platform you could get up by rope gun, and kept going up for about 3 hours - no skybox limit, apparently, other than the skybox disappearing.  Lorem Ipsum Temp Mail 10 Minute Mail

After an awesome glide, I fast travel back to base to find half of it not loaded. After a minute, I get stuck in place. Multiple reloads resulted in the same thing, so I restarted the server and now can't get past 100% loading.

So, yeah, don't do this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:07:12 PM by popchau »

Omidawn

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Build Too High
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:30:45 PM »

I have cautioned people about this in other threads.  I'm sorry that you had to experience it yourself.  The server is not necessarily broken, but that particular character is "stuck" in a null space.  There is a possibility of saving the character by logging in with another character, climbing up as close as you can so that you can "grab" your build with the selection tool, and delete the entire thing from the top down.  You have to try to select as much "empty area" as possible, since much of it may be invisible blocks, and you want to try to get them all.

Delete everything you can, all the way back down to the ground, then try logging back in with your other character.  If you are lucky, he will be unstuck and start to fall from where you left him.

My recommendation for everyone building in adventure mode:  DO NOT build more than 10-15 blocks higher than you can fly in an aircraft.  This is the "invisible" ceiling for vertical builds.  You can push it a little bit, but if you go too far you risk this problem happening.

NOTE: the story mode map is much more resilient.  You can build much higher in story mode than in adventure mode, and these kinds of stratospheric builds do not seem to break the engine.  It is entirely possible to do this on a story map, but you should still build in stages in case you encounter problems.  Stop at the FIRST SIGN of trouble, whether that be lag, frame rate, invisible blocks, or getting stuck... and bring it down a notch.