Pathea Board

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

My Time at Portia enters Early Access on Jan 23rd 2018!

Author Topic: Real Estate and Businesses  (Read 232 times)

The Duke of Rockford

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Real Estate and Businesses
« on: January 13, 2019, 01:47:01 PM »

If there was one thing I liked about Grand Theft Auto series which I have frequently played, it is that you can buy businesses and plot (latter at least in GTA Vice City series, not aware of any other games in this series where you can buy an empty lot).

I suggest adding real estate aspect to this game. It would be nice to have an empty lot somewhere to set up a factory away from your home. Honestly, a factory would be, to use a common urban planning term, NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard). You learn that from playing SimCity. :P Of course, placing a factory on an empty lot should be strictly optional as you would be still free to place one at your own lot. I also suggest adding a warehouse as a type of building for storing goods in for use in a factory.

If the devs is concerned about gameplay balance, I'd suggest setting a restriction where you can only have a factory on ONE lot, no more than that. But somehow I doubt this would be problematic.

Also, this is probably straying too far from the whole point of this game but I noticed there were a few missing businesses that perhaps the player could fill in. For example, a hotel would be nice to have but it would have to be designed in a way so that it doesn't require excessive micro-management. Perhaps have the operations automated (you could hire NPCs to manage it) but you can determine the interior decorations. It could have several options influencing the base structure and operations by allowing you to decide that it be a hotel, an inn, or a bed-and-breakfast. Each option could have a different upkeep cost. The hotel may be built or it may be a pre-built structure you buy although I still recommend options to customize its looks both internally and externally to allow you to personalize it.

Another possibility is buying and owning a boatyard. You could use this as a water-based workshop to construct things like boats.

I mentioned NPCs managing your businesses (probably similar to helpers you can apparently recruit at your workshop but not yet familiar with how that worked as I haven't gotten to that point yet). I noticed there were passengers from the outside area. I suggest using this way to hire NPCs from outside the Portia (perhaps by placing an ad somehow). As for the housing, you probably could build a few apartments on the lot. But to make this even more interesting, there would be only a few lots (maybe 10 or less) so land is pretty precious so you have to be careful about how you allocate lots to specific types (business or housing). In a way, this is reminiscent of an old popular game called Constructor except you aren't playing a shady gentleman (or lady). ;P

Now the businesses and property management would probably be only viable IF the time is a bit more slower in the game. Apart from that, I still strongly recommend allowing us to purchase a vacant lot to put a factory on a vacant lot and an addition of warehouse as a type of building to use with it.

Maybe add a bit to the factory system so we can get the re-industrialization going in what is apparently a post-apocalyptic world. ;)

KarlCarr

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Real Estate and Businesses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »

Vet ikke hvor mye du kan hjelpe meg med

Fullbosyx

• Enlistee
    • View Profile
Re: Real Estate and Businesses
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »

I like the story of this exchange. Because it can help me